Embracer Group to shutdown certain studios and cancel games

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, it seems after their recent spending spree and acquisitions, Embracer Group have realised the next best move is to close studios, lay off staff and cancel ongoing game development. Makes sense. Here are some snippets from the CEO's open letter..

This morning we announced a restructuring program across the Embracer Group that will make us a leaner, stronger and a more focused, self-sufficient company.

Embracer currently engages close to 17,000 people and while that number will be lower by the end of the year, it is too early to give an exact forecast on this.

The actions will include, but not be limited to, closing or divestments of some studios and the termination or pausing of some ongoing game development projects.

Remember, these are the same people who acquired Square Enix Montreal and then shut it down a couple months later.

:arrow: https://embracer.com/releases/open-letter-by-embracer-group-ceo-on-restructuring-program/

MoshpitWorkout

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe they're employing the Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish strategy, but just forgot about the "extend" part?

I guess that killing hundreds of people's creative projects as well as putting their financial state at risk is fine as long as the numbers on the spreadsheet look good to some heartless analyst?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rumour seems to be they lost out on a billions of dollars contract (not to mention some high profile failures -- Saints Row 2022 was under their watch) and are cost cutting as a result. Have not read anything concrete or feasible on what the loss is, and how they calculate the value of it -- 2 billion in one year is also rather different to 2 billion over 5.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I guess the $100,000,000 flop Saints Row totally fucked their shit up.
I just don't get Embracer. Have Nordic Games (then THQ Nordic and then Embracer) ever published anything good under their umbrella? I feel I only seen one studio produce quality and it's been Coffee Stain

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow, I didn't know that Borderlands sold to Embracer since they used to be owned by Take Two (2K Games).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Pretty sure anyone buying the switch just for that got duped