Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

Autism Gamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two words. More Borders...
Would love to see some Zelda, Earthbound/Mother ones. 3-)

1385263415932.png My face when I'm playing a game with Giygas border.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been out of this thread for a while.
Glad to see more borders are coming out, but has been discussed the option to have a setting in gamayob to select and choose borders from within the emulator ?
I find it slightly inconvenient to manually rename the borders files with my computer every time I want to try a new one.
Did Drenn mention anything about such an option being planned ?

I'd love to try all the new borders one by one and see which one I like better, and even some games look better with specific, custom made borders ( like the Doom one ).
Also such a setting stored in and .ini or .cfg file, on a per game basis ( each game should remember the preferred border ) would be awesome !
Just my two cents....;)
I guess I neglected to mention it, but this is already done :) see the latest build. Well, it's not on a per-game basis yet, but the border is selectable.

Reactions: Arm73

SuperGustafson9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The linking feature kind of sucks right now. I doubt it would work. It's one of the things I hope to improve, at least to the point where more lenient games such as pokemon would work reliably.

I'm not sure what you mean? If you want a certain kind of border, it just has to be made...

Yeah well, first I broke my microSD reader, then I lost my laptop's power adapter (still waiting on that), now finals are approaching... not the best conditions for me to be working on this. What's annoying is that 0.5 is all but ready, I just need to package it up...

could u send me the file maybe i can help

Autism Gamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ness's House.PNG
Ness's Room.PNG
Saturn Village.PNG
Sunflower.PNG
School.PNG
Lucas's House.PNG

Fading Magicnat.PNG
Winter.PNG
Dallam.PNG

Attachments

• Ness's House.bmp
    96.1 KB · Views: 333
  • Ness's Room.bmp
    96.1 KB · Views: 338
  • Saturn Village.bmp
    96.1 KB · Views: 334
  • Sunflower.bmp
    96.1 KB · Views: 387
  • School.bmp
    96.1 KB · Views: 357
  • Lucas's House.bmp
    96.1 KB · Views: 335
  • Fading Magicnat.bmp
    96.1 KB · Views: 314
  • Winter.bmp
    96.1 KB · Views: 248
  • Dallam.bmp
    96.1 KB · Views: 341

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I guess I neglected to mention it, but this is already done :) see the latest build. Well, it's not on a per-game basis yet, but the border is selectable.
That is so cool......time to dust off the old XL again.....;)

On a side note, I've been testing emulators since 1994 ( one of my first ones was the ZX Spectrum emulator JPP or Z80 back in the day ) and I found the best thing is a simple, editable plain text based .cfg file in the emulator directory, even on PC.
Being able to open it up with notepad and store it or restore it for backup or custom options purposes is the best.
Emulator doesn't work right anymore ? Just delete the cfg file !
MAME does that to with .ini files storing individual games settings.
It certainly makes life easier......

And by the way, congratulations on the level of polish you achieved and a big thank you for the continued support !
It sure makes me dearly hold on to my precious older systems :bow:.

Autism Gamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Megaman and Bass.PNG
Quint.PNG
Dimensions.png

These colorized borders are from a WonderSwan game called Rockman & Forte: Mirai Kara no Chousensha.

For unknown reason Quint is named "Rockman Shadow" which is a leader of a group called "Dimensions"

It is a very good game not that much of the fans know about, since its japan only. It sucks there is no working or good WonderSwan emulator on DS.

Attachments

• Megaman and Bass.bmp
    96.1 KB · Views: 362
  • Quint.bmp
    96.1 KB · Views: 343
  • Dimensions.bmp
    96.1 KB · Views: 331
Reactions: PROTOBOY and DSoryu

StruttingPhil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you add support to the buttons so that you can scale / unscale? I think it would be neat to do something like this because on the GBA / GBA SP you could press the L button to make the display bigger, and then R to make it small again.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Could you add support to the buttons so that you can scale / unscale? I think it would be neat to do something like this because on the GBA / GBA SP you could press the L button to make the display bigger, and then R to make it small again.

This is, indeed, already done - check the Key Config settings again...
could u send me the file maybe i can help

The who in the what now?

Reactions: Tiger21820

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, got my new AC adapter, and found the time to finish off v0.5. Like I said, it was mostly just packaging it up, nothing new if you've been using the git builds.

I made a zip file of all the borders in this thread so far, sorted by author.

At this point I'm pretty comfortable recommending GameYob over lameboy for general use. The emulation itself has been on par with lameboy for a while now, but it was kind of unstable. Too many guru meditation errors, too many bugs in the various features. By now, most of that has been sorted out, as far as I know.

jegriva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Great emu!! Finally Final Fantasy Legend III has the music! And Fish Files with the high-color mode visualizes right!

Just a little feature and Gameyob could be even better... green/yellow palette for the GB Mono game?

(I don't think it would be too difficult)

Thanks!

Lavos2013

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi again Drenn, ive had alot of good times with Gameyob ever since you added cheat support, especially with older games that you cant access 100% of without cheats less you have a friend (since you can use DS wireless for Link features but not IR for GBC games) or if you cant go to official events such as Mew for Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, but ive run into an oddball issue the last day or so

im trying to get Pokemon Yellow working right, and the issue is 2-fold: while the game runs, the initial rom i had was a .GBC file for some reason , the game ran, cheats worked, but game couldnt save either manual/in-game, auto, or by save stats and recognize the file upon resetting or turning the system back on, if i did so, the save wouldnt be there in-game, nor would any of the previously made Save States

so i found another rom of it, a GB file this time, it is able to save properly in all noted ways...but for whatever reason i cannot access the Manage Cheats button, its not even usable, its greyed out, im aware if its usable and theres no cheat file found by the emulator itll tell you so

im using Gameyob 0.5 on my AceKard 2i which so far hasnt had any issues running .NDS programs such as emulators or other software

im wondering if you could give me any advice, i suppose if i must, i can just play Red/Blue since there may not be a cheat-access issue there but id have to check, and im using a modified Pokemon Blue BGB .CHT file, it worked fine on the Yellow rom that was .GBC, but not the one thats .GB, and useless to use the .GBC one since i cant save the game with it in any way/shape/form

ive searched google with a variety of terms, its getting me nowhere, nothing about this particular issue and very little about GameYob period

edit: ok redownloaded the rom and even gameyob, didnt fix it, Manage Cheats is still greyed out, and i still cant save the game on the .GBC format rom, but can on the .GB

edit 2: ok a bit of further testing has revealed: the game cannot save on my Supercard DSTwo but cheats work, but on my Acekard 2i, the game CAN Save but cheats do not work, regardless if its the GB or GBC rom file extension

im aware my DSTwo probly needs replacing as its having some issues even with DS games such as odd sudden freezing that it didnt use to even with those same games, but that doesnt explain why either rom is working only partially on either flash cart

and Gameyob is set to default settings and i do not have the GBC Bios in the SD Card as of yet, but i dont think thats the problem

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so i found another rom of it, a GB file this time, it is able to save properly in all noted ways...but for whatever reason i cannot access the Manage Cheats button, its not even usable, its greyed out, im aware if its usable and theres no cheat file found by the emulator itll tell you so
The behaviour's been changed since the menu overhaul, it's just greyed out if there isn't a cheat file. So double-check your cheat file, maybe the capitalization is different from your old rom or something...

im trying to get Pokemon Yellow working right, and the issue is 2-fold: while the game runs, the initial rom i had was a .GBC file for some reason , the game ran, cheats worked, but game couldnt save either manual/in-game, auto, or by save stats and recognize the file upon resetting or turning the system back on, if i did so, the save wouldnt be there in-game, nor would any of the previously made Save States
Although there could be rom-specific issues, I really don't see how that could have anything to do with save states. This perplexes me.
But there's nothing wrong with the GBC extension, it is a dual-mode GBC game.

edit 2: ok a bit of further testing has revealed: the game cannot save on my Supercard DSTwo but cheats work, but on my Acekard 2i, the game CAN Save but cheats do not work, regardless if its the GB or GBC rom file extension

im aware my DSTwo probly needs replacing as its having some issues even with DS games such as odd sudden freezing that it didnt use to even with those same games, but that doesnt explain why either rom is working only partially on either flash cart

As I mentioned above, I suspect that the cht file may have a slight difference in the name, capitalization or something. If your DSTwo is acting up, you may want to format its SD card.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Great emu!! Finally Final Fantasy Legend III has the music! And Fish Files with the high-color mode visualizes right!

Just a little feature and Gameyob could be even better... green/yellow palette for the GB Mono game?

(I don't think it would be too difficult)

Thanks!

I'm planning on it, it's mostly a matter of getting around to it.

Lavos2013

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well thats actually the first thing i checked, and the cheat file works fine on my DSTwo, just i cant save the game on that one for whatever reason (might be my DSTwo with all its problems as of late necessitating getting a new one)

cheat file name and game name are identical (sans file extension) which is how it should be from my recollection

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well thats actually the first thing i checked, and the cheat file works fine on my DSTwo, just i cant save the game on that one for whatever reason (might be my DSTwo with all its problems as of late necessitating getting a new one)

cheat file name and game name are identical (sans file extension) which is how it should be from my recollection

Then you may want to check the contents of the cheat file, make sure it wasn't corrupted somehow... maybe copy the DSTwo's cheat file over to your Acekard 2i.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/PRMX5mX-hvs?si=JdjNrndYJ7PelC7q