GameStop to offer "new" Switches for $75 to owners of the old model

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Nerdtendo, Aug 14, 2019 at 3:19 PM.

1. Nerdtendo
    OP

Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    download.
    Love them or hate them, GameStop is offering a deal better than anyone else so far on a new switch. The switch in question comes in a noticably redder box and boasts a more efficient processer. While playing with this power, the switch battery squeezes out an extra 2-3 hours of battery life which is nearly double what the switch already does.

GameStop will trade in working Nintendo switch consoles for $225 in credit towards a new model which leaves only $75 coming out of your wallet. It is worth noting that these models use a new tegra processor and ship on a recent version. (some reports say 7.0.1 while others say 8.0.1) This means that we won't be seeing ANY hacks for this guy for a while.

There are also reports that the analogue stick casing is different, but it is too early to tell if this will solve any major drifting issues.

So what do you think? Do you have a patched switch you're willing to upgrade or will you stick with your old, but lovable original unit? Be sure to let me know!

Offer ends September 15th, 2019

Source

Last edited by Nerdtendo, Aug 14, 2019 at 3:47 PM
  2. Owenge

Owenge GbaTemp browser

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
    Very interesting. However I’m sticking with my unpatched switch for the time being. Great deal non the less :grog:

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  3. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    If they trade it for a new exploitable Switch, I'll give them the $75 no doubt.
    If they don't... well thanks but I'll keep playing N64 on my Switch :)
    Fuck the shit that is NSO.

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  4. DJPlace

DJPlace The Hater of Sony Censor Ship!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    you link does not work

5. RattletraPM

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Reporter
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
    It's an alright deal but nope, I'll hold on to my own. Even if an exploit will be found for these models sometime in the future, I doubt it'll end up being as good as fusèe-gelèe (also mine has a few mods including an internal payload injector, so I doubt it would be accepted anyway lol). I guess it's nice for people with no interest in hacking & homebrew tho, any word if it's going to be US only or are similar offers also coming to the EU and other parts for the world?

PS: Here's the fixed link

6. Fates-Blade-900

Fates-Blade-900 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2018
    United States
    Oh boy, I really don't want to spend anymore money on the Switch, but...

7. Dagosty

Dagosty Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2018
    Portugal
    No, thank you.

Im pretty happy with my customized "old" model.

I do play on my TV, so thats not a better deal for me.

Edit: Im from EU, but my my opinion stands if similar deal happens in EU.

Last edited by Dagosty, Aug 14, 2019 at 3:49 PM
  8. Nerdtendo
    OP

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    Didn't realize the link was broken. Thanks!

As for outside of the US, I haven't seen anything.

RattletraPM likes this.
  9. Maz7006

Maz7006 iSEXu

Aug 2, 2008
    Although enticing I am in the 1% pool of people whom use the switch docked. I rarely use it undocked.

10. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
  11. Nerdtendo
    OP

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
  12. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Nintendo working hard with GameStop to get those darn unpatched Switch consoles out of circulation. :P

Voyambar and Dartz150 like this.
  13. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp's Official Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    In fact, I first thought that Nintendo themselves would do this kind of "program" to convince people to switch to the newer revision, is a good deal for them to get the unpatched switches out of circulation.

14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It sounds like a good idea at first, but what would they do with all the old boards? That would create so much e-waste and cost them a lot of money. It would probably cost them more than they gain by having less pirates. Only a very small percentage of those people that have the old units are even interested in piracy or console hacking and chances are a lot of them would hold on to their old units no matter what.

I'm not sure this is a wise move from GameStop. They're gonna need to price the traded in systems almost as expensive as a brand new revised Switch to make any money at all and who's gonna want to buy that? Unless they are banking on all the people that missed out on the hackable Switches while they were still being made to run to their stores to pick up hackable systems second hand before it's too late.

This may just be a desperate move from GameStop to get people to come to their stores and buy a game or some merch while they're there. It might keep them afloat for a bit longer or it might end up contributing to them going bankrupt.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Aug 14, 2019 at 4:42 PM
  15. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    So... if GS are paying $225 for a used system, how much do they sell the pre-owned ones for? Doesn't seem like there'd be much of a margin in it for them to be selling pre-owned for virtually the same as a new system.

It's a dumb offer, from a dumb retailer, for dumb consumers.

16. Nerdtendo
    OP

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    Pre-owned systems go from $180 to $200

17. Voyambar

Voyambar Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2019
    Antarctica
    My Basement
    My system is patched and apparently it was patched from time of manufacturing according to the S/N. I'm trying to hold off on updating my system but the last time I updated was from 8.0.1 or whatever the first 8.0.X version was to the latest to get that new Smash character. Otherwise I usually dont update.

18. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    No thanks. Hate the newer version. No difference except improvement battery is a rip off. FORGET IT! Try Nintendo Switch Pro next year if they surprise us and you got a deal. This one is not a deal!:creep::rofl2:

19. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    i wish my stores in portugal did this, i dont play online or have my switch hacked but im an hanheld only switch player and that bigger batery time is worth a 75$ trade imo.