Games with realistic graphics not as entertaining as fantasy ones?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I enjoy realistic graphics, I've realized they're not as fun as imaginary/fantasy games are and that could be because, realism can be quite dull and bland.

Gamers for years have wished games to have realistic graphics and now they truly do, but is that a good thing? I personally prefer the cartoony visuals of Mario 64 over a super-serious realistic-themed game.

iVgYMfa.jpg

ewZwZBE.jpg

UIPr0vk.jpg

And for realism...

sjTfC5q.jpg

DriveClub is a great game and highly enjoyable although the life-like graphics kind of bore me, to be honest.

What happened to me? Just gotten old for it?

Reactions: RichardTheKing

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Games are aiming to be more realistic and I'm honestly not interested in that. As a kid, I thought I would want that, but as an adult, no.
It's just fundamentally odd. Either show footage of something real or render something aesthetically pleasing. 'Realistic' games end up distorting your mind, because you see things that try to suggest to you that they are real while they are not real in their very essence.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't think it affects how entertaining the game is, it has literally no bearing on the gameplay.
I do think stylized graphics often look better and almost always age better, though.
And I'm a huge fan of fantasy themed stuff and I think stylized graphics just work better for that. I couldn't imagine what Pokemon would look like with realistic graphics, for example. It might be horrifying. On the other hand I would like to see what Zelda would look like with realistic graphics and a darker tone sorta like what they were trying to do at one point before they went the complete opposite direction with Wind Waker. I think I would still prefer the stylized look though.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: CoolMe

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it affects how entertaining the game is, it has literally no bearing on the gameplay.

While that's true.. it's also not true. With "Realistic" graphics, you have to have "realistic" movements and animations or it looks completely out of whack.. Like double jumping.. But with stylized graphics, it doesn't jump out as clashing.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Nintendo kind of did that with Twilight Princess.

The bloom effect could have been left out. Still, what a brilliant game. :)

Yeah, but the Wii wasn't capable of rendering anything that could be considered realistic. And I preferred Skyward Sword's art style.
Curious what Nintendo games are going to look like in the future when they are on much more powerful platforms. Are they gonna stick to the stylized art style? How far can you push that art style and still be taking full advantage of the hardware? Not sure.
I like the demos of Mario and Zelda some people have made in UE4. The graphics aren't super polished, but it does look nice, kinda like a cross between realistic and stylized. Mostly stylized graphics, with more realistic shaders.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: CoolMe and Marc_LFD

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The humorous side about this all, is that as our tech continues to advance more and more, games can look all the more realistic than ever before, which is on a technical level, truly amazing, yet on a stimulation level, it's kinda boring. The restrictions of the tech early on, led to unique and alluring art styles that live on to this day. At the end of the day, this does come down to personal preference, but for me its so much more of a visual treat to look at an exaggerated and colorful world over another bleak gritty game trying it's best to be as realistic looking as possible.

Reactions: nxwing and Marc_LFD

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, gameplay is a BIG factor in enjoying a game, whatever the realistic type of game tries to offer, or even if it's a part realistic/ part fantasy, it should do make the movements fluid, combat mechanics, interesting environments, characters, antagonist etc.
All of it could be done. And at that point if you still prefer pure fantasy or cartoony looking setting over it, then it's just subjective at that point, and shouldn't be compared to each other imo, both are uniquely different.
Though i still agree cartoony stuff look more interesting, vibrant and is gripping to me, but if the gameplay is not there or it's combat is boring etc. that won't make me ignore that fact, because first and foremost it's about the gameplay and the enjoyment of it, if it's lacking then i see no reason to keep going.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the Legend of Zelda and Mario games (from any generation), they had and still have a gameplay style that's unique to them, and people wouldn't hold them in such high regard if it was just about them having a pretty art style and cartoony graphics. It's the gameplay that people find enjoyment in, and is the thing that'll stick with them and keep remembering when they you look back..

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I feel if a realistic approach on graphics gets a certain style applied to it that helps as well. It like comic relieve. If you get the pure realism approach it is very offputting.

prof72

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
that will depends on your like

ps4 tend to have more realistic graphics
nintendo tend to have more craypas graphics

ill like both actually :3

Attachments

• image-asset.jpeg
    image-asset.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: Creamu

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
there are games that are just really bad whether its real or craypas graphics

try this game threads of fate
and youl know what i mean
Okay, I will try to avoid bad games regardless of real of craypas. I will try threads of fate first. Thank you!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, yes