Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Hi everybody,

I was considering buying a Japanese N3DS LL now that Gateway has posted their video.

Now since you cannot switch the firmware's language in a Japanese N3DS, I was wondering if there are any games that actually use the firmware's language setting and set the games default language to that? That might turn into a problem, if the game itself has no language setting menu.

For example, I play a European game with a Japanese N3DS -> The game sets the language to Japanese since it's a Japanese console, and there's no way to change the language to English from the game itself.

Probably there aren't many games that do this since the 3DS is region locked, but I'm just making sure.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Rewatch that video. Doesn't it show english in the games? Obviously no one will know for sure until its out...

Edit: The video even says Multi-Region around the 26 second mark.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi everybody,

I was considering buying a Japanese N3DS LL now that Gateway has posted their video.

Now since you cannot switch the firmware's language in a Japanese N3DS, I was wondering if there are any games that actually use the firmware's language setting and set the games default language to that? That might turn into a problem, if the game itself has no language setting menu.

For example, I play a European game with a Japanese N3DS -> The game sets the language to Japanese since it's a Japanese console, and there's no way to change the language to English from the game itself.

Probably there aren't many games that do this since the 3DS is region locked, but I'm just making sure.
It could certainly be a problem since most games don't have a language setting. Then again, I don't think most non-Japanese games actually include Japanese language in game, but there are some exceptions.

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Nearly All games are using the Language set in the system menu. Japanese 3ds's can only be set to japanese (or maybe english).Only a few games still have their own language selection screen.

No. Cause european games don't have japanses language tracks on it. If no japanese language track is found, the language is automatically set to english.

I own an US DSI XL, when i play a european game on it, that has als german language available, the language is automatically set to english, because of the english language of the US DSI XL. If i really want to run the rom in german, i have to edit the rom, and replace the standart english language files with the german ones. But i guess that's not possible with 3ds games.

So, don't worry. If you play us or european games on the japanese 3ds, you still can play them in english. But if you want to play a european game that has your native language track on it, and there is no ingame language selection screen, than you only can play it in english.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
There are only 3 games that I know for sure that have japanese together with english and others.
Pokémon X/Y, Pokémon ORAS (I'm counting every pair as a game) and Ace Attorney Collection (or Gyakuten Saiban Collection, since this title wasn't released to NA/Euro yet).
And all of them let you switch the language through a in-game menu.
In the case of Pokémon you'll get a neat japanese banner on home menu, but the game will let you to choose a language before starting a new game.

In most cases of localization the japanese language is replaced by the english script and if there's other language choices they are added after this.
This is made to ensure that japanese folks won't be meddling with imports, since nowadays games on japan are more expensive than those imported from Europe, USA or even other Asian regions.

Reactions: Tony_92

Kylecito

eats warnings for breakfast
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Sorry for the necro but this thread might be relevant to my problem. I have a JP n3ds console and I'm playing EUR Xenoblade on it. The language of the game is English, but I'm guessing it's by default. If the game has Multi language and it takes the system lang to change, how could I do this on a JP console where I cannot set any system languages? Has anyone tried forcing this somehow?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!