Games have corrupted data after changing SD Card using partition based emummc

jtabc123456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently followed the "Changing SD Cards" tutorial from "NH Switch Guide" to migrate my fully-functioning partition-based emuMMC from one SD card to another. The original microSD card was a 512GB Samsung Evo Select with FAT32 formatting. The new microSD card is a 1TB SanDisk Extreme UHS-1 with FAT32 formatting.

I followed all of the steps exactly and everything went smoothly. It was only once I got back into the emuMMC on the new SD card that I started having issues. I will point out that I used hekate 5.6.5 in step 1 of the guide, but I used hekate_cctcaer_5.1.2.bin on step 12 (didn't realize this until now; I don't know if this matters). I used TegraExplorer Hotfix 15.0.0 to create the partition on the new 1TB SD card.

I am able to boot into Atmosphere through the "Atmosphere emuMMC" option in the Hekate launch menu with no problem. However, whenever I attempt to start up any game (obtained through tinfoil), I receive an error message:

"Corrupted data has been detected. Please run a check for corrupt data."

After I run the check, I always get:

"Corrupted data was found"

Then I am presented with a "Redownload" or "If redownloading did not resolve the issue.." button. If I select the former, it directs me back to the menu to redownload with a new cloud icon above the game (a cloud that was not there before running the check). If I select the latter, it just brings up a help dialog. In the former case, if I click on the game with the cloud again, I receive the error:

"The software is not currently on the console. Please redownload the software to continue. If the software was originally downloaded to a microSD card, please cancel, turn off the console, and insert the microSD card."

Additionally, most games show up as taking 0.0MB in the "manage software" section of the Switch data management tab in settings. But a few games show as taking up some space.

Despite the warnings, I can still see that the micro SD card still appears in the "Data Management" section in the switch system settings, so it knows its there (and as much space is used as on my old SD card). I can also view all of my snapshots and recordings in the Switch Album, so I know all the data is there on the SD card.

I'm currently on 15.0.1 firmware and Atmosphere version 1.4.0|E. I used the correct fusee.bin payload for this version of atmosphere to boot and still have this issue. The sigpatches for the games are the same as from the prior SD card where they were working fine.

I still have the original 512GB micro SD card. If I put that one back in and start up a game, it runs fine. The game only doesn't run from the new SD card.

I would really prefer to not have to download the games again, but I don't know what else to do in this situation. Any idea what went wrong or what else I should take a look at?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently followed the "Changing SD Cards" tutorial from "NH Switch Guide" to migrate my fully-functioning partition-based emuMMC from one SD card to another. The original microSD card was a 512GB Samsung Evo Select with FAT32 formatting. The new microSD card is a 1TB SanDisk Extreme UHS-1 with FAT32 formatting.

I followed all of the steps exactly and everything went smoothly. It was only once I got back into the emuMMC on the new SD card that I started having issues. I will point out that I used hekate 5.6.5 in step 1 of the guide, but I used hekate_cctcaer_5.1.2.bin on step 12 (didn't realize this until now; I don't know if this matters). I used TegraExplorer Hotfix 15.0.0 to create the partition on the new 1TB SD card.

I am able to boot into Atmosphere through the "Atmosphere emuMMC" option in the Hekate launch menu with no problem. However, whenever I attempt to start up any game (obtained through tinfoil), I receive an error message:

Then I am presented with a "Redownload" or "If redownloading did not resolve the issue.." button. If I select the former, it directs me back to the menu to redownload with a new cloud icon above the game (a cloud that was not there before running the check). If I select the latter, it just brings up a help dialog. In the former case, if I click on the game with the cloud again, I receive the error:

"The software is not currently on the console. Please redownload the software to continue. If the software was originally downloaded to a microSD card, please cancel, turn off the console, and insert the microSD card."

Additionally, most games show up as taking 0.0MB in the "manage software" section of the Switch data management tab in settings. But a few games show as taking up some space.

Despite the warnings, I can still see that the micro SD card still appears in the "Data Management" section in the switch system settings, so it knows its there (and as much space is used as on my old SD card). I can also view all of my snapshots and recordings in the Switch Album, so I know all the data is there on the SD card.

I'm currently on 15.0.1 firmware and Atmosphere version 1.4.0|E. I used the correct fusee.bin payload for this version of atmosphere to boot and still have this issue. The sigpatches for the games are the same as from the prior SD card where they were working fine.

I still have the original 512GB micro SD card. If I put that one back in and start up a game, it runs fine. The game only doesn't run from the new SD card.

I would really prefer to not have to download the games again, but I don't know what else to do in this situation. Any idea what went wrong or what else I should take a look at?
Go into Hekate and go under emuMMC. Once there look and see if you emunand says enabled (it probably says disabled). Click the migrate emunand option and then select Fix Raw and allow it to fix you emummc.ini information and then try to reboot.

jtabc123456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go into Hekate and go under emuMMC. Once there look and see if you emunand says enabled (it probably says disabled). Click the migrate emunand option and then select Fix Raw and allow it to fix you emummc.ini information and then try to reboot.
It does say "Enabled" already, unfortunately. Should I still try the "Migrate emuMMC" option?

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You might have the Nintendo folder directory set incorrectly in your emummc.ini file.

jtabc123456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It won’t hurt anything.

Next, please post the contents of the /emummc/emummc.ini file on your old and new card.

Thanks, I ran the "Migrate emuMMC" option and "Fix Raw," but nothing seemed to change (games still have corrupted data). Here are the contents of the old and the new .ini files:

Old, working SD card:

[emummc] enabled=1 sector=0x379da000 path=emuMMC/RAW1 id=0x0000 nintendo_path=emuMMC/RAW1/Nintendo

New SD card where games have corrupted data:

[emummc] enabled=1 sector=0x738d4000 path=emuMMC/RAW1 id=0x31574152 nintendo_path=emuMMC/RAW1/Nintendo

I also noticed a difference between the Nintendo folders on the old and the new SD card. The old SD card has a 110MB file in the emuMMC\RAW1\Nintendo\save folder called 000000000000000a that is not present on the new SD card. There are seven additional files in that folder that are present (and the same file size) on both SD cards. This may be unrelated but I figured it was worth pointing out anyway.

Last edited by jtabc123456,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I ran the "Migrate emuMMC" option and "Fix Raw," but nothing seemed to change (games still have corrupted data). Here are the contents of the old and the new .ini files:

Old, working SD card:

[emummc] enabled=1 sector=0x379da000 path=emuMMC/RAW1 id=0x0000 nintendo_path=emuMMC/RAW1/Nintendo

New SD card where games have corrupted data:

[emummc] enabled=1 sector=0x738d4000 path=emuMMC/RAW1 id=0x31574152 nintendo_path=emuMMC/RAW1/Nintendo

I also noticed a difference between the Nintendo folders on the old and the new SD card. The old SD card has a 110MB file in the emuMMC\RAW1\Nintendo\save folder called 000000000000000a that is not present on the new SD card. There are seven additional files in that folder that are present (and the same file size) on both SD cards. This may be unrelated but I figured it was worth pointing out anyway.
The sector is different (as it should be). Otherwise they are identical, so you can copy the /emuMMC/RAW1/Nintendo folder directly from the new to the old (the target should match the source here.)

Did you copy over your emunand from the old to the new card or did you make a new one?

Emutool will help you migrate it if you did not:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/emutool...r-sd-switch-emu-type-on-sxos-and-more.550756/

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Did you update your firmware recently? This error is common from having outdated sig patches.

jtabc123456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sector is different (as it should be). Otherwise they are identical, so you can copy the /emuMMC/RAW1/Nintendo folder directly from the new to the old (the target should match the source here.)

Did you copy over your emunand from the old to the new card or did you make a new one?

Emutool will help you migrate it if you did not:
I followed these steps exactly (for partition based):
aHR0cHM6Ly9uaC1zZXJ2ZXIuZ2l0aHViLmlvL3N3aXRjaC1ndWlkZS9leHRyYXMvdHJhbnNmZXJfc2Qv

(use base64 decoder to get the URL, I can't post links for some reason)

In other words, I used hekate to "backup" emummc, copied the files (including the dumped backup) to the new sd card, and then restored the emummc backup to the new partition (created with tegraexplorer) on the new sd card.

Otherwise, everything else was copied from the old SD card to the new one. As for why the 000000000000000a was missing, I don't know. I assume the switch removed it at one point after it copied over and booted into emunand.
Post automatically merged:

Did you update your firmware recently? This error is common from having outdated sig patches.
I did about a month ago on the old sd card (and I updated the sig patches when I did this), but as I mentioned, it was working on my old SD card just today and not this new one. Given the files were copied over, this shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by jtabc123456,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed these steps exactly (for partition based):
aHR0cHM6Ly9uaC1zZXJ2ZXIuZ2l0aHViLmlvL3N3aXRjaC1ndWlkZS9leHRyYXMvdHJhbnNmZXJfc2Qv
(use base64 decoder to get the URL, I can't post links for some reason)
Clever use of base64 to get around the limitation!
https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/extras/transfer_sd/
In other words, I used hekate to "backup" emummc, copied the files (including the dumped backup) to the new sd card, and then restored the emummc backup to the new partition (created with tegraexplorer) on the new sd card.
That should have done it without issue. I would have done the whole thing with Hekate but meh…it shouldn’t matter.
Otherwise, everything else was copied from the old SD card to the new one. As for why the 000000000000000a was missing, I don't know. I assume the switch removed it at one point after it copied over and booted into emunand.
I’m skeptical about this bit. It should be a 1:1 copy. I would try again since it’s not exact.

If that doesn’t work, maybe try again but this time format the new SDCard w/ Hekate and do the restore while you’re at it.

jtabc123456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clever use of base64 to get around the limitation!

That should have done it without issue. I would have done the whole thing with Hekate but meh…it shouldn’t matter.

I’m skeptical about this bit. It should be a 1:1 copy. I would try again since it’s not exact.
If you're interested, here's a WinMerge comparison. Left is the new SD card, right is the old SD card. This is comparing the RAW1 folders (located within the emuMMC folder) directly to each other. As you can see, the list of files which changed are:

private1
000000000000000a
raw_based

1672194228084.png

As you can see, everything else is identical. I'm just assuming that the switch OS edits these files in daily operation which is why they aren't the same. Potentially these files which are different are referring to games I booted up but had the corruption issues.

I'll trying copying everything over again and see how it goes.

Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're interested, here's a WinMerge comparison. Left is the new SD card, right is the old SD card. This is comparing the RAW1 folders (located within the emuMMC folder) directly to each other. As you can see, the list of files which changed are:

private1
000000000000000a
raw_based

View attachment 344714
As you can see, everything else is identical. I'm just assuming that the switch OS edits these files in daily operation which is why they aren't the same. Potentially these files which are different are referring to games I booted up but had the corruption issues.

I'll trying copying everything over again and see how it goes.
It does seem there’s truth to that. It doesn’t make sense that it wouldn’t just work. I just went through the steps in the guide you liked and it’s all the right stuff.

Interested in the results of the copy.

jtabc123456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I figured it out! I did some more research elsewhere and it turns out I had to change an archive bit. I ran the "Tools ➜ Arch bit • RCM Touch • Pkg1/2 ➜ Fix Archive Bit" in Hekate, reloaded emuMMC, and all my games work now! I didn't have to re-copy over the files.

Like I mentioned, I assume those files were just changed by the Switch OS by normal operation, which is why I was skeptical that was the issue. It makes sense the problem would be caused by attributes that are associated with the filesystem on the SD card (since, I suppose, attributes wouldn't necessarily be copied from one card to another since the properties are stored in the filesystem itself rather than within the files' contents).

Here are the FAT32 filesystem attributes from wikipedia.

1672195544428.png

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I figured it out! I did some more research elsewhere and it turns out I had to change an archive bit. I ran the "Tools ➜ Arch bit • RCM Touch • Pkg1/2 ➜ Fix Archive Bit" in Hekate, reloaded emuMMC, and all my games work now! I didn't have to re-copy over the files.

Like I mentioned, I assume those files were just changed by the Switch OS by normal operation, which is why I was skeptical that was the issue. It makes sense the problem would be caused by attributes that are associated with the filesystem on the SD card (since, I suppose, attributes wouldn't necessarily be copied from one card to another since the properties are stored in the filesystem itself rather than within the files' contents).
Nooooo!

I was thinking that, but it typically only happens on Mac and I saw you were using winmerge so I dismissed it.

Nice work. Glad you’re sorted!

jtabc123456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nooooo!

I was thinking that, but it typically only happens on Mac and I saw you were using winmerge so I dismissed it.

Nice work. Glad you’re sorted!

You're right, I was using Windows, but I assume this happened because I copied the old SD card from FAT32 to an NTFS hard drive and then from the hard drive back to the new SD card. I assume it's possible the archive bits were messed up since it wasn't directly FAT32 to FAT32, but I don't know.

tmcrnll

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
HOLY F*CK THANK YOU SO MUCH
It was the archive bit for me too.
I was thinking that, but it typically only happens on Mac
I'm using Linux, so I guess they have the same problem, as they're kind of similar.
For me I had the "could not start software" error, after creating a new fat32 partition and copying over the previous files, cause I had some extra space on my SD card (previously a linux partition)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1