adriande2

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A custom mIOS would have to be created.
The mIOS goes into a gamecube mode shuts out the Wii remotes, SD card, and USB ports. Along with that, it caps the memory to how much the gamecube uses. The extra memory would have to be modified and the USB support would have to be added in.
I'm not exactly sure if this would work since a lot of files won't work if they exceed a certain size limit for the file.

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
adriande2 said:
The mIOS goes into a gamecube mode shuts out the Wii remotes, SD card, and USB ports. Along with that, it caps the memory to how much the gamecube uses. The extra memory would have to be modified and the USB support would have to be added in.
I'm not exactly sure if this would work since a lot of files won't work if they exceed a certain size limit for the file.
Don't talk unless you've researched this stuff yourself - it's been stated a few times by WiiPower and others that the mIOS doesn't lock out access to the Wii Only hardware, and Gamecube games running in Wiimode have been demonstrated. The mIOS (to my personal knowledge) only performs the basic things like the disc check, and the main reason gamecube USB Loading is so difficult is simple - the gamecube (and thus Wii in gamecube mode) uses direct hardware access - this means to patch a game for USB Loading, you'd need to manually go through every single read instruction in the IOS, and point it to the USB Drive, whereas the Wii can only access hardware through the IOSes, so the required patches can be applied to the IOS easily, and give us the same affect.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
toejam316 said:
adriande2 said:
Don't talk unless you've researched this stuff yourself - it's been stated a few times by WiiPower and others that the mIOS doesn't lock out access to the Wii Only hardware, and Gamecube games running in Wiimode have been demonstrated. The mIOS (to my personal knowledge) only performs the basic things like the disc check, and the main reason gamecube USB Loading is so difficult is simple - the gamecube (and thus Wii in gamecube mode) uses direct hardware access - this means to patch a game for USB Loading, you'd need to manually go through every single read instruction in the IOS, and point it to the USB Drive, whereas the Wii can only access hardware through the IOSes, so the required patches can be applied to the IOS easily, and give us the same affect.

the is basically the only real answer as far as I can tell. But patching the ISO, not the IOS. GC games do not use an IOS. every read command from the game side would have to be patched. of course its basically impossible. but then again crazier things have happened. maybe development can start with some of the smaller games or games with emulators, they would have much less read commands. like midway arcade treasures.

elimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
QUOTE said:
Gamecube USB Loader possble?

No, No and No! Mods just close this thread of epic fail.
lol you are an epic fail.

anyway... anyone thought of modded dolphin that sends the actual commands from the game to the processor(skipping some cycles so it looks normal) ?

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
ozl said:
Bump
i wish we could do this usb loader for gamecube

Best. Bump. Ever.

I should try that on a job board!

Go into a thread that's been commented on earlier that day, and post

"Bump. i wish i could get job."

Sarcasm aside, yeah, it would be cool. But as said earlier, it is between difficult and reasonably impossible to do, and "me too" posts don't actually help things along...popular vote, unfortunately, does not equal progress.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SickPuppy said:
Doesn't anybody search the web? I found this at emu_kidids blog

http://emukidid.blogspot.com/2010/02/sd-bo...tures-list.html

Yes but that doesn't relate to the topic much. That is Booting GC games off the GC Memory Card port through an SD card while what people want is booting GC games off the usb port. And I think I have already mentioned this before but SD-Boot doesn't even work for me.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if its possible to build, i would like to try to build a gc memory card mod that can link to usb. in that case, if sd-boot works, usb booting should work as well. that would be just as good for me.

anyone got any links/info on this?

elimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VashTS said:
if its possible to build, i would like to try to build a gc memory card mod that can link to usb. in that case, if sd-boot works, usb booting should work as well. that would be just as good for me.

If this can be done with a pic or arduino i would make one. If it works fine, this will become the best gamecube on wii "modchip".

Toader

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
maximusprimate said:
mikezila said:
FenrirWolf said:
From what I understand it isn't just a thing about the MIOS not having USB support or whatever, but that GCN mode is hardcoded to not have access to the rest of the Wii features. But I'm no expert and am likely wrong.
You could get around this by having an IOS that doesn't break into Gamecube mode when running Gamecube code. Or at least that's the direction I'm trying to go, but like I said, I'm really not very good at this. I haven't really made much progress since last time I've checked this thread. Though now I can get games to start loading, I think. Or at least it does something that causes the usb HDD to be busy after the video mode changes. I'm still not really sure if it's trying to load, or if it's just crashing into a loop.

I need to do a lot more reading on the differences between Wii and Gamecube mode, because I think it's breaking into GC mode when the loader actually gets ahold of the game.

This whole thing is kind of moot because even if I do somehow get it to work, I have no fucking clue how to make it so that gamecube memory cards and controllers and all that shit would work.

Make it compatible with the Classic Controller.. it would probably be easier, and would be SO much cooler!

Classic style GC remote

snikerz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
VashTS said:

USB Gecko.
tongue.gif

Luigi728

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well Zantzue, that's an impressive video. You sure made a nice GUI.
But about the rest...I don't believe it. It's only showing some stuff, we can't be sure it works, and you show us one game.
It could be in the drive al the time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SMG4 @ SMG4: hi