VILLAIN
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
If we go by that standard, every single console in the history of ever used ROM's.

The accepted nomenclature is "ROM" for proprietary chip images and "ISO" for disc images because that's how they're stored, the format here is irrelevant. :P

That said, yes, I suppose you're all right saying so.

Yeah, "rom" is just a name that means essentially the same thing as "iso". I mean, they're pretty vague terms, and ISO mostly refers to ISO9660/CDFS and is an actual filesystem, but any definition of either term has at least the commonality that they're read-only images that contain a game. so an ISO can be opened up and actually has files so that's one difference, but other than that they're the same. even MSDOS/Windows games are collected in some bundled format that's similar to a ROM (those games are usually distributed as zipped files, but they originally came from floppy disks/cd ISOs). so they're basically the same.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah, "rom" is just a name that means essentially the same thing as "iso". I mean, they're pretty vague terms, and ISO mostly refers to ISO9660/CDFS and is an actual filesystem, but any definition of either term has at least the commonality that they're read-only images that contain a game. so an ISO can be opened up and actually has files so that's one difference, but other than that they're the same. even MSDOS/Windows games are collected in some bundled format that's similar to a ROM (those games are usually distributed as zipped files, but they originally came from floppy disks/cd ISOs). so they're basically the same.
Well, you can open up a ROM as well and it does have files inside... but I'm being picky. :P

chocoboner

VILLAIN
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Depends on the format, some roms can be opened and some don't really have "files" inside (like a NES rom). but you're right, some roms do have files. a CD ISO is a good example of a ROM that has files, in fact :)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, you can open up a ROM as well and it does have files inside... but I'm being picky. :P
For DS and things that contain a filesystem yeah, but not for older systems that were just blobs of binary data. Napip can actually turn NES ROMs into bitmaps for editing, and it does the whole thing at once. It's pretty neat to see all the came code in batmap files, too.

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo only gets inspired by money and casual gaming and more money

Microsoft and Sony are inspired by Nintendo. Analog sticks, vibration, wireless controls and motion controls all Nintendo concepts which the other two have blatantly ripped off. So yeah, bash Nintendo all you want, but they have 10x the creativity of the other two console entities.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Microsoft and Sony are inspired by Nintendo. Analog sticks, vibration, wireless controls and motion controls all Nintendo concepts which the other two have blatantly ripped off. So yeah, bash Nintendo all you want, but they have 10x the creativity of the other two console entities.
Motion controls were out there before Nintendo thought of those (DataSoft Le Stick). Wireless controllers aren't their invention either, they were available from the early 1980'ties for Atari consoles (Atari CX-42). Nintendo didn't make the first analog stick controller either - Radofin did (Prinztronic/Acetronic/Interton series). Out of what you just mentioned, only Rumble checks out, and that wasn't built-in, it was an add-on. ;)

EDIT: After a few more minutes of research, I actually found out that Rumble in video games was used way before the N64, albeit in arcade cabinets. Say hello to Fonz.

As for the whole ripping off part of your argument, that's like saying Nintendo ripped off optical drives (PC Engine CD) or that they ripped off Online features (Sega Channel, circa 1994), or the use of a touchscreen on a handheld console (Tiger Game.com) or screens on a controller for that matter (Sega Dreamcast).

Grow up, certain technological concepts simply become commonplace - it's called trends and it's good - that's how we progress to the next level generation after generation. Good technologies become commonplace, bad technologies are forgotten, new technologies are ahead.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Motion controls were out there before Nintendo thought of those (DataSoft Le Stick). Wireless controllers aren't their invention either, they were available from the early 1980'ties for Atari consoles (Atari CX-42). Nintendo didn't make the first analog stick controller either - Radofin did (1292 Advanced Programmable Video System).

As for the whole ripping off part of your argument, that's like saying Nintendo ripped off optical drives (PSOne) or how they ripped off Online features (Sega Channel, circa 1994), the use of touchscreen on a handheld console (Tiger Game.com) or screens on a controller for that matter (Mega Drive).

Grow up, certain technological concepts simply become commonplace - it's called trends and it's good.
- It's pretty far fetched to to call the stick the inspiration for the Wiimote, I'd say the EyeToy is what really started it.
- That analog stick wasn't self-centering.
- Discs? Sega started it, Nintendo were the ones who contacted Sony because they wanted an optical drive for the SNES.
- "or screens on a controller for that matter (Mega Drive)" - Oops...
But no, dreamcast wasn't their source of inspiration at all for the WiiU. The WiiU is basically taking the DS idea further and the DS was in turn taking the Dual Screen Game&Watch games one step further. Implementing some Tiger Game.com into the design.

So Nintendo have had their fair share of entirely new ideas like the cross Dpad, analog stick, diamond shaped button layout, shoulder buttons, rumble and so on. But you have to remember that Nintendo has been around much longer and had at the time explored many possible areas in the market already. That doesn't mean Sony haven't brought stuff to the table though, dual improved sticks, second set of shoulder buttons, the EyeToy and multimedia capabilities.

The difference between Sony and Nintendo is that Sony is much faster at adapting. That's the flaw with N, while good at setting new trends and standards they're too slow at catching on to new things that weren't originally theirs. Online multiplayer, optical disks...

Agree with your point, just thought I'd share.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
- It's pretty far fetched to to call the stick the inspiration for the Wiimote, I'd say the EyeToy is what really started it. //That's not what I said. I was referring to the Power Glove, which technically wasn't Nintendo's doing, but it was branded as a Nintendo motion controller.
- That analog stick wasn't self-centering. //...and? It's still a 2-axis analog stick.
- Sega started it, Nintendo were the ones who contacted Sony because they wanted an optical drive for the SNES. //Optical drives were around long before Sega, Sony or Nintendo thought of'em. Engine/TurboGrafx-16, Atari CD etc. ;)
- "or screens on a controller for that matter (Mega Drive)" - Oops... //That was corrected ages ago to Dreamcast, slip of tongue, really. 42 minutes before you posted, actually. :P
But no, dreamcast wasn't their source of inspiration at all for the WiiU. The WiiU is basically taking the DS idea further and the DS was in turn taking the Dual Screen Game&Watch games one step further. Implementing some Tiger game.com into the design. //Doesn't matter - we're talking about innovation, are we not?

So Nintendo have had their fair share of entirely new ideas like the cross Dpad, analog stick, diamond shaped button layout, shoulder buttons, rumble and so on. Nintendo have been around much longer and had at the time explored many possible areas in the market already. But that doesn't mean Sony haven't brought stuff to the table, dual improved sticks, second set of shoulder buttons, the EyeToy and multimedia capabilities. //I never denied any of that - what I outlined was that Nintendo didn't invent it all, they too borrow ideas from other companies within the industry and what I said was that it's normal and acceptable to adapt widely popular concepts into your products. By the way, the D-Pad situation actually depends on your definition of it. There were 4-directional pads before Nintendo's Game & Watch contraptions, just not cross-shaped, for example on the Intellivision's controller, not to mention arcade cabinets. What Nintendo actually introduced was the cross shape used today. I already disproved the analog stick and for all intents and purposes, the Atari 5200's controller had "shoulder buttons" alongside normal ones, the controller was just differently shaped. That being said, we do owe the traditional gamepad shape to Nintendo, so there you go - credit where credit's due.

The difference between Sony and Nintendo is that Sony is much faster at adapting. That's the flaw with N, while good at setting new trends and standards they're too slow at catching on to new things that weren't originally theirs. Online multiplayer, optical disks... //Indeed.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ps the gamecube uses iso not roms

That's like saying "the gameboy doesn't use roms, it uses .gb files". An ISO is a disc image, the optical discs that the gamecube uses are read only, so ROM in this case holds up just fine

- It's pretty far fetched to to call the stick the inspiration for the Wiimote, I'd say the EyeToy is what really started it.
- That analog stick wasn't self-centering.
- Discs? Sega started it, Nintendo were the ones who contacted Sony because they wanted an optical drive for the SNES.
- "or screens on a controller for that matter (Mega Drive)" - Oops...
But no, dreamcast wasn't their source of inspiration at all for the WiiU. The WiiU is basically taking the DS idea further and the DS was in turn taking the Dual Screen Game&Watch games one step further. Implementing some Tiger Game.com into the design.

So Nintendo have had their fair share of entirely new ideas like the cross Dpad, analog stick, diamond shaped button layout, shoulder buttons, rumble and so on. But you have to remember that Nintendo has been around much longer and had at the time explored many possible areas in the market already. That doesn't mean Sony haven't brought stuff to the table though, dual improved sticks, second set of shoulder buttons, the EyeToy and multimedia capabilities.

The difference between Sony and Nintendo is that Sony is much faster at adapting. That's the flaw with N, while good at setting new trends and standards they're too slow at catching on to new things that weren't originally theirs. Online multiplayer, optical disks...

Don't forget adapting current (next gen, ect) graphic and physics processing units since the wii

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
- Yeah didn't think you were speaking of the Powerglove, fair enough.
- Self centering is what made the difference and a big difference at that. This was the 3D era where analog meant something more than analog controls in a 2D game like pong. They work in entirely different ways, but that doesn't mean that the analog stick in the N64 was a huge thing as it's practically the given control method once you can make games in 3D.
- Sega started the optical media in home consoles craze. They didn't invent the technology, neither did Sony invent it not start it with the PSOne.
- Innovation is what the Game&Watch systems and the VMU were. Non of them related however, and even less related is Wii U screen to the VMU.

Companies borrow from others, improves stuff and brings new stuff which is basically what you said.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
- Yeah didn't think you were speaking of the Powerglove, fair enough.
- Self centering is what made the difference, big difference at that. This was the 3D era where analog meant aomwthing more than analog controls in a 2D game like pong. They work in entirely different ways, but that doesn't mean that the analog stick in the N64 was a huge thing as it's practically the given control method once you can make games in 3D. //But that still doesn't disprove the fact that analog sticks were used before the N64 - what you're saying is that they were used in slightly different circumstances, which is not what I'm arguing. :P
- Sega started the optical media in home consoles craze. They didn't invent the technology, neither did sony invent it not start it with the PSOne. //Yeah, because the first console to use this technology was, after my really short search, the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 via an add-on :P Craze or not, it was used before which is all I'm saying here. It's also not fair to say that SEGA popularized the format - in fact, PC Engine outsold the Mega CD/SEGA CD, at least in Japan. :D
- Innovation is what the Game&Watch systems and the VMU were. Non of them related however, and even less related is Wii U screen to the VMU. //I'm not saying it's related, I'm saying it's a concept that's been used before.

Companies borrow from others, improves stuff and brings new stuff which is basically what you said. //Yes, companies "borrow" concepts that work because they're sure-fire and sometimes even improve on those which didn't work with good results - that's progress and it's great that they're doing it, I applaud that. I simply can't stand people saying that company X ripped off something from company Y because at the end of the day, all companies "do that" perpetually and it's not something to be ashamed of unless it's blatant infringement. You cannot infringe on a concept - if patent law worked like some people think, it would lead to monopoly in certain areas of the industry and its fragmentation since every company would have their very own protected concept and that's not a good thing.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
We agree then, I was just nitpicking some of the things you said not the overall line of thought.
Now, I'll tell you why I was so feverent here. It's pretty plain to see that these days some users tend to picture Nintendo as the poor, universally hated messiah of the industry which continuously innovates only to be ripped off later by evil corporations like "$ony" or "Micro$oft" which only care about getting into your wallet since they are worse than the mafia. This of course is an incredibly stupid misconception - it brews conflict in the community, moreover, it's downright incorrect. Nintendo is not a messiah nor they are universally hated - they control most of the console market judging by the sales, I have no idea where that attitude came from. All three want your money, that's why they're in the business.

Same of course goes to other fanbases which dismiss Nintendo games as childish and worthless, which again, only goes to show that certain users are childish, unable to embrace ideas different than their own and allow their subjective tastes to take over the role of reasoning.

People tend to forget how to just enjoy gaming as it is - instead of being analytical about video games and consoles, they opt to fight each other in an endless struggle for what they think is supremacy and what I think is just being the loudest dog in the pen.

I embrace gaming, I may have my subjective favourites but I don't subscribe under a silly banner although I'm often judged as if I do, and I know that forcing personal opinions on other people usually isn't the way to go, but for the love of God, people should just enjoy gaming since that's the whole point, is it not?

Merely fighting fire with fire here, nobody learns anything without getting burned.

...that was pretty off-topic, eh? :P

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Can it be done? if so how? i'm specifically hoping to run Wind Waker. Is there a way to run it through a flash cart?
1. The GameCube doesn't use ROMs. It uses disc backups, i.e. ISOs.
2. The 3DS is less powerful than the GameCube.
3. Even if it was as powerful as the GameCube you usually need roughly 10x the power to emulate a system.

Questions like this are posted all the time, you would've done yourself a favor by searching.
In fact, even high-end PCs still have problems running GC and Wii games full speed. How the hell do you expect the 3DS to do it?

Lube_Skyballer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands

Please don't take me too seriously ;)
I respect Nintendo greatly. I own a great deal of Nintendo consoles and handhelds and am still collecting lots games for them.

Though, the real problem is that the majority of gamer does not really appreciate what Nintendo produces and means for the gaming industry. Just a minority of gamers do respect Nintendo properly (mainly because of their legacy).
But Nintendo ain't winning no console war with respect. If that would be the case, Nintendo would've shat over the competition by now

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o