Hacking Gamecube launcher on Wii?

Distrance

矢澤にこ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So, I googled this and found something about a Wiigator Gamecube Backup launcher, but no actual page for it where I could check information. Does this still exist, and does it work (my firmware is 4.3), or is there an alternative that does work? Where do I download it from if it works? If it works, what kind of DVD's do I need? And how do I burn them if the game is multidisc? I want to play Tales of Symphonia as a undub which was also reported to work, but it is a multidisc game so I'm not sure..

nitrouspizza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Be aware that your Wii can read DVD-R's because i have a Wii bought around april this year and has the new laser drive.
I'm still looking for an alternative launch method but no luck :( (sneek/uneek and have little compatibility and DIos Mios isn't even finished)

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the new drives (D3) went into Wiis around autumn -09. So basicly all Wiis with a production date beyond that have the D3 drive, which cant play anything but legit Wii and GC games.

Best way to fix it is obviously to get a hold of an older DVD drive. Here in sweden they sell for around 90-100USD+ (Ive seen some for ~200USD, which is more than the actual wii lol)
Second best way is a Wode, but that too is quite expensive (around ~120usd in swe) :/

Thank god I never sold my GC console :ha:

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
For discs, read the ini FAQ from here:
http://gbatemp.net/topic/219243-neogamma-r9-beta-test/

There's another alternative, but also not working really nice. Swiss, which requires a GC memory to sd card adapter(

Reactions: 1 person

Distrance

矢澤にこ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I subscribed to this topic but didn't receive any email about new replies.. weird.

Anyway, after posting this I realized what I found out already ages ago ; I indeed have the new drive (I really wanted Black Wii so I got it thinking it wouldn't matter... oh how wrong I was), and can't play any burned games on it. I was now going to ask about the older drives.. So is it really so that no other DVD drive is compatible with Wii but the one the older ones came with, meaning I really have to buy one for like 100 bucks? How is it even possible that the new drives won't play burned games .. to my understanding all consoles do as long as they're modded?

Can I get more insight on how the Wiikey Fusion thing works with SD card, and does it interfere with my softmods? (Meaning, can I still launch my games from USB drive normally?). Also how hard is it actually to solder a chip into Wii if you've never soldered anything? I could borrow a kit from a friend but I'm not sure I want to fck up my Wii..

There's also a slight possibility for me to acquire (buy) an older Wii and take it's DVD drive, and switch it with my current drive. The question is ; Does changing DVD drives require soldering and how hard is it to switch them? And do the older Wii's work with the new drive? If I bought another Wii and switched the drives, I would then just resell the old (new drive) Wii to cut the costs.

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
The old drive had a DVD chip which was exploited to get the drive to accept burned discs. The new drives dont have this chip and thus making it unable to be exploited.
Replacing the DVD does not require soldering, as long as you replace the entire thing. If you only replace the daughterboard you need to de/solder 4 cables for the lens motor. These are relatively big and "alone", so its not very hard to solder.

The wiikey is solderless, its just attaches on the datacable between the dvd and wii, and alters the code flowing through it. It does not interfere with your softmod.

How hard it is to solder a chip completely depends on your soldering skills. I tried to chip my old GC, ended up with a dead console :)

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WODE and Wiikey Fusion are plugged in between the drive and the Wii. There shouldn't be any soldering required for both, and it's unlikely to interfere with any softmod. The backup disc features won't work, they require the same eploit the softmods do, but loading from sd card or HDD will work.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So Wiikey fusion is the easiest thing then? They seem to be the cheapest, too. So I get Wiikey and install it, what then? I need '' Use Modmii to get wiigator cMIOS and use neogamma to load GCN discs. '' as posted by harroxelas earlier? What about if I want to load my games from my HDD?

What's a WODE?

Ps. This isn't relevant to this thread exactly but .. I want to get GC games working to play Tales of Symphonia undub. I own the orig. game and want to complete it again but this time with orig audio. Problem is, that the undubs floating around on the net are NTSC-U and my clear game save data is PAL. Is it possible to convert the game to PAL or the savedata to NTSC-U somehow?

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Loading games from an USB HDD is only possible through a WODE, which basicly emulates the DVD drive and allows you to run games etc from USB devices.
Im not 100% sure how it works, as its not of interest for me, but I dont think you need any software on the Wii to use the WODE, you just launch it through Disc Channel like any other disc.

Heres their official site: http://www.wodejukebox.com/home.php

But Id say Wiikey is the easiest and cheapest way. You just cant launch backup discs with it. Only stuff from an SD Card.

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Yeah Wiikey Fusion & WODE are the simplest ways to run gc backups without an old drive . Once installed follow the guide in there site to install games on the sd . This doesn't need any homebrews or anything else to be able to run them . If you want to run gc games from a HDD then you need a WODE but for wii games just keep using your favorite usb loader the modchip doesn't interfere with it .

The WODE is a modchip that runs gc & wii games from a HDD by emulating the dvd drive . It looks like a wii stand that gets connected to the wii & gets stuck with it till you open the wii & disconnect it. It is a great modchip but its expensive ,makes the wii hard to move around & have trouble streaming sounds so maany games will not have any sound .

As for the save conversion I found this http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7GFRQ44S . I downloaded it & made sure it isn't a virus but I have no idea how well it works .

Distrance

矢澤にこ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'm not 100% sure I still get it so to confirm : If I want to run a game from SD Card, then only Wiikey is enough? And for HDD you need Wiikey AND WODE? The WODE seems quite troublesome to use and if I have no sounds on ToS, the whole idea of running an undub in the first place is ruined. Since I want this explicitly for just one game, running the game from SD card would be enough assuming the game fits. How would it work though? A reminder, Tales of Symphonia is multidisc game (2 discs).

I'll try to save conversion if I get Wiikey at one point. You sure there's not a way to convert the .iso from NTSC-U to PAL though?

Here's also another thought ; Gamecubes are relatively cheap here when bought used. What kind of modchip would I need for it, is it expensive, hard to install and will it let me play NTSC-U games? Additionally, will colors be displayed properly? NTSC colors are usually colorless unless you use RGB cable. For Wii I didn't need RGB cable though for some reason. Oh, and since Gamecube will only run those small dvd things, can you burn to those normally with your computer or do you need a special DVD drive?

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
If I want to run a game from SD Card, then only Wiikey is enough? yes

And for HDD you need Wiikey AND WODE? nope only WODE

The WODE seems quite troublesome to use and if I have no sounds on ToS, the whole idea of running an undub in the first place is ruined. all methods to run gc games without an old dvd drive have sound issues but I think ToS is'nt one of the problematic games so no need to worry about it .

Since I want this explicitly for just one game, running the game from SD card would be enough assuming the game fits. How would it work though? check the modchip site in my previous post . You will need to format your sd & transfer games with their manager .

A reminder, Tales of Symphonia is multidisc game (2 discs). you can swap discs with the wiikeyfusion by having 2 sds each with one disc & swaping them when the game asks you to do so . Also if you can't for some reason you can always use the method I described here to pass that point .

I'll try to save conversion if I get Wiikey at one point. You sure there's not a way to convert the .iso from NTSC-U to PAL though? I don't think there is any easy way to do so but for the save you can try the program in my previous post . It works for many games but I don't know if ToS is one of those games .

As for gc modchips I don't know there prices nowadays but they are really hard to install so you might want to cross-out this option unless you have the skill to do so .
Also you might want to try the free solutions first before buying anything . Try Dios-Mios lite and see if it works well with ToS . Also if you have a decent pc you might want to try running the game on dolphin & see how fast it works . My year old laptop can run ToS fine most of the game .

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Here's also another thought ; Gamecubes are relatively cheap here when bought used. What kind of modchip would I need for it, is it expensive, hard to install and will it let me play NTSC-U games? Additionally, will colors be displayed properly? NTSC colors are usually colorless unless you use RGB cable. For Wii I didn't need RGB cable though for some reason. Oh, and since Gamecube will only run those small dvd things, can you burn to those normally with your computer or do you need a special DVD drive?

I have a chipped PAL GC with quoob (or whatever the name was lol). It plays NTSC games just fine in color etc. I have the original A/V cable (composite) for the GC.

As for installation... There are some veeeery small points and one extremely sensitive point. Its very easy to fuck up the GC if you make a mistake. *looks at his previous dead GC*

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The WODE seems quite troublesome to use and if I have no sounds on ToS, the whole idea of running an undub in the first place is ruined
The wode has only problems with games that feature streaming audio. Here is the list of those games:
007 Agent Under Fire
1080 Avalanche
Ace Golf (US) / Swinger's Golf (PAL) / Wai Wai (JPN)
Alien Hominid
Amazing Island
Aquaman
Bloody Roar Primal Fury
Bomberman Generations
Crash Bandicoot: The Warth of Cortex
Crazy Taxi
Dakar 2
Darkened Skye
Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure
Dragonball Z Sagas
Dragon's Lair 3D
Dream Mix TV World Fighters
Eternal Darkness
Fantastic Four
Freestyle Metal-X
Future Tactics
Geist
Go Go Hypergrind
GT Cube
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters
Harvest Moon (in certain areas)
Ikaruga
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Judge Dredd vs. Death
Legend of Zelda: Collectors Disc
Legend of Zelda: Bonus Disc (with Ocarina of Time)
Lost Kingdoms
Lotus Challenge
Mario Baseball
Mario Kart Bonus Disc
Master Quest
Monster Jam Extreme Destruction
MX Superfly
Namco Museum
Naruto 1,2,3
Padman Fever
Pikmin 2
Pool Paradise
Pro Rally
Red Faction 2
Resident Evil 1
Resident Evil 4 Preview Disc (w/ RE4 Demo)
Smugglers Run: Warzones
Speed Kings
Splinter Cell: Pandora's Tomorrow
Starfox Adventures
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Street Racing Sysdicate
Sum of all Fears, The
Summoner: A Goddess Reborn
Super Monkey Ball
Super Monkey Ball 2
Swingers Golf / Ace golf / Wai Wai
Tak And The Power Of Juju
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Top Gun: Combat Zone
Tube Slider
Universal Studios: Theme Park Adventure
Urban Freestyle Soccer
Virtua Striker 3 Ver. 2002
Wai Wai Golf (JPN) / Ace Golf / Swingers Golf
Wave Race: Blue Storm
World Mix TV Drea Fighters
Wreckless : Mission Yakuzas
Worms Blast
XG3 Extreme G Racing
XIII
Zoids Battle Legends

so.... ToS will work on wode B-)

Patryc

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for that list, been looking for that! I believe these are the problem games for the back up launchers too; is that correct?

Distrance

矢澤にこ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I actually upgraded my computer just recently and it can play even the newest games on PC with Ultra graphics so it should be good.. I'll give Dolphin a shot. However, this results in one critical problem : My savegames are on my Gamecube memory card (obviously). Wii doesn't let you copy from GC MC to SD card, is there a homebrew that I could use to rip the save games?

Edit : tried Dolphin and the music stutters a lot. The speech is '' okay '' but could use some improvement. Is there a certain settings I should use with ToS? It's likely I'll go with Wiikey though, assuming there won't be sound problems like this ..

There is still something I don't understand though. If my Wii is softmodded, why exactly do I need Wiikey to run games from SD card? Wasn't the problem with the new drives that they can't read burned discs. As mine is softmodded, shouldn't the SD card thing work without Wiikey?

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
There is still something I don't understand though. If my Wii is softmodded, why exactly do I need Wiikey to run games from SD card? Wasn't the problem with the new drives that they can't read burned discs. As mine is softmodded, shouldn't the SD card thing work without Wiikey?

WiiKey got its own SD card reader. You cant use the SD card reader on the Wii. Thats why :)
The Wii turns off ALL features on the Wii which wasnt available on the GC (bluetooth, SD card, USB ports etc)

Distrance

矢澤にこ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I see. Seeing as how Dolphin is bugged and when I googled, it seemed like everyone else has sound problems too and there's still no fix available, I'll just go for the Wiikey then.

Any experiences on the shops that shoptemp lists? Shoptemp isn't selling Wiikey Fusion but it lists a shop '' diy-buy.com '' (Wholesale from china ... makes me think of all those fake flashcarts for DS so I'm cautious..). It's only 32 bucks plus 3 for shipping... I do not want to order one to end up with a fake, however.

Edit : It's actually a '' fake ''. Well, not really, but it's a '' repair parts solution '' ... or something. Shoptemp might want to stop listing that item when it clearly isn't what promised. I found a shop (listed at Wiikey Fusion homepage) that lists it with just a price of 21.95€. Wiikey costs 39.95€ in Finland, so this seems like a good choice. The picture however, is not very detailed so is this actually the correct product? Link here.

Any idea if a microSD card reader works with Wiikey reader? I only have one SD card, but I also have a microSD card and a microSD card reader that is an SD card with the slot for the microSD .. Wondering if that'll work or if I need to buy another SD card.

Ps. If anyone here has any chance to test the save game converted, that would be greatly appreciated. It's unlikely for me to start a completely new game if the converter fails so it would be a totally waste of money for me to get Wiikey if I can't play ToS then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    N @ NoiseCommander3DS: https://youtu.be/cAo4TuKIz6s