Hacking Gamecube controller as Classic Controller

mtlife

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I was wondering, I know it's almost impossible to do it the other way around. But I have 4 gamecube controllers, and I have PES2010. I googled around and searched the forums, but I cant find anyone who has done it (except some dude who created a gamecube -> wiimote adapter, but thats beyond my skill level). I think it can be done with some custom IOS or maybe even a preloader/startpatch hack. The only thing that needs to be done is make the wii think a classic controller is always plugged in, and remap the gamecube buttons to the classic controller ones. And this can be done with simple if/else statements. Problem is, I have no idea how easy / difficult this is going to be, or maybe if its done already?

(For the ones who don't know, there is a possibility to play it like classic PES6 with a classic controller, but unfortunately not with a gamecube controller. And because my friends are not as enthusiastic as me for the new controls, they want to play the classic way. But the problem is, I do not have 2 classic controllers, and I think its a waist of money if this can be done.)

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is a longshot, but see if there are any Ocarina codes for this. There's really no way that a cIOS would change anything, and Priiloader/Startpatch only affect the System Menu.

mtlife

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I tried looking for it, but I can't find any. Do you think it can be done with ocarina codes? Something with button activators..

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Only thing I can think of is get a USB Gecko and try and make an Ocarina code for it. But if the game doesn't have GC support at all, it'd be more complicated than simply redirecting button presses I think.

mtlife

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
mmm wouldn't it be easier to do it via an IOS? Because Ocarina codes seem like a long shot to me. But I have no idea how customizable IOS'es are, and on what level they are programming them. And I can't find any guide on how to find ocarina codes. I presume it isn't just guessing.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mtlife said:
mmm wouldn't it be easier to do it via an IOS? Because Ocarina codes seem like a long shot to me. But I have no idea how customizable IOS'es are, and on what level they are programming them. And I can't find any guide on how to find ocarina codes. I presume it isn't just guessing.
By my understanding, its basically searching memory for any value that changes and then using a code to modify it. So if say a game had GC controller support, you could dump memory, then hold a button and dump again, and search for any value that has changed between the dumps, then release the key, dump again and find values which have changed, and keep going till you only have one value left that changes when you press the button, and that's the value you'd need to connect to an action. I understand this probably isn't easy to understand, probably because I suck at explaining stuff, but I think that's the gist of it. BTW, you'd need a USB Gecko to do the memory dumping.

mtlife

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Well, I do understand. Problem is I do not have a usb gecko, nor do I have the time to do memory dumps and look for it myself. And afaik the game doesnt support the gamecube controller as a whole, thats why I thought it would be easier to let the wii, via a cios, think that there is a classic controller attached to the wiimote and let the gamecube controller control that classic controller. Looks like ocarina codes is not possible without gc controller support. How hard will it be to program such a thing? I am a programmer myself, but I have no idea how they created the current cios'es. There is no source or anything available is there?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
you would need to make IOS access the SI hardware (which is normally accessed by games from PPC) but:

- i'm not even sure if it's possible from Starlet (the CPU IOS is running on), it's a serial interface with a specific protocol, at least there are no "devices" like for other hardware (DVD,USB, SD, Bluetooth, etc)

- it would not be as simple as patching DVD functions and routing DVD access to SD/USB device (which is what "basically" cIOS are doing), afaik the wiimote library is more complicated than that and you will basically rewrite the whole game code for very little benefits.

QUOTE said:
maybe you can ask a dev to implement mapping of buttons in the usb loader, it can be done with emulators so I dont see why you cant

huh, these are two compeltely different things, emulators are controlling the way the game (ROM) is running and therefore are "emulating" controller inputs , that's why keys can be mapped as you want. Loaders only load the game, they can't change the way it runs neither the way it reads controller inputs.

mtlife

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
In short this means, that unless there is someone with ALOT of time on his hands and willing to do this, it is cheaper and alot faster for me to just buy 2 classic controller's pro?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo