Tutorial  Updated

Full Stock to arm9loaderhax CFW Guide - Everything You Need to Know (Includes OTPHelper Now)

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

This guide includes information to get you from nearly any situation to full arm9loaderhax CFW.

If you appreciate this guide and the work I put into maintaining it, I accept donations through both Bitcoin and PayPal.

Last edited by Plailect,

milotic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

I have a problem. In part 5, step 27, I launched arm9loaderhax installer, but I forgot to rename my emuNAND_original.bin to NAND.bin ..
So the 3ds rebooted and it seemed like nothing happened but when I tried to do it again with the emuNAND renamed I wasn't able to launch minipasta, nor Emunand9, Decrypt9 or OTPHelper, none of these homebrew work anymore, they just reboot homebrew launcher when I try one, I don't really know what to do now ..

If anyone has a solution, that would be nice, thank you :)

Fedetic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi guys, I have the following problem: after scanning the ninjhax QR code in cube ninja, I get a black screen/freeze instead of getting into homebrew. I have followed all steps accordingly so I'm quite lost at what to do next.

Current firmware: 10.6.0.31E
Device: New 3DS XL
Cube ninja on SKY3DS+

What I already tried:
- I have double checked whether I was scanning the correct QR code for my firmware
- I have removed everything from my SD card to try with only the content of starter.zip
- I have checked my internet connection

Thanks in advance!

*EDIT*
Fixed it by resetting the router (problem was the internet connection after all)

Last edited by Fedetic,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Can I please make a suggestion to add to your guide. Not this next paragraph (which is a preamble), the second part.

I'm not sure if other people are going to do this, but I decided to set up a new N3DS with arm9loaderhax and system transfer to it from my old N3DS, because 1) the guide starts right from the beginning from a virgin console anyway and it is easier to just follow a guide exactly rather than working out what steps to skip, and, 2) don't have to worry about whether I will lose any data when formatting, and 3) my old N3DS was slightly scuffed anyway. When I transferred from an O3DS to an N3DS, it was a smooth process just leaving the SD cards as they were, and everything got moved to the mSD in the N3DS. I thought it would be the same here - so I backed up my emuNAND on the 64GB and injected it into a 32GB (only had ~20GB of stuff) card and pasted all the files over, so the 64GB card could be in the new N3DS since I thought everything would move to it later. However, I didn't get the same option to do a wireless transfer this time, and it wanted me to use the SD card from the old 3DS. So the emuNAND switching was a waste of time. Plus I needed to use trial and error to work out what a9lh files I needed to make it boot. So, my suggestion is to add the following to the beginning of the guide:

"If you are setting up an N3DS with a9lh, with the intention of system transferring, please note the following.

• For N3DS to N3DS, please leave the microSD card you plan to use in the new console in the source system (i.e. not in the console you are setting up for a9lh). After the new console is set up, perform a system transfer from the emuNAND of the source N3DS (and from the new N3DS) and follow any prompts it gives you. At the end, paste all the folders and files you see in the image in Part 5 onto the source system's mSD, then use this mSD in your new console. It's recommended to use an 8GB or higher card to avoid space problems while setting up a9lh.
  • For O3DS to N3DS, if you are using a mSD in the O3DS you can do the same as the above. But if not, the mSD you put in the N3DS that you're setting up for a9lh can continue to be used. Delete any excess games you don't plan to play in the near future (too much content on the O3DS will cause the system transfer to hang forever) before initiating the system transfer from the emuNAND of the O3DS. Choose wireless data transfer when the option is given to you. It could take up to several hours. If it takes longer than a day and/or the Pikmins aren't actively picking up tiles and moving them, you have too much stuff on your O3DS and need to delete some games before trying again."

tipsytoto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seem to somehow have lost decrypt9 via L+R on powerup. I tried replacing the arm9payload.bin in the /rei/ folder and ensuring that my decrypt9.3dsx file is in the /3ds/ folder. Any idea why this may be?

tipsytoto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you done anything else recently?

You caught me :) I did try playing around with arm9select. For whatever reason, couldn't get that working right, but I switched the arm9loaderhax.bin back to the one I had originally, so I assumed I would be good. I did however run the updater I found in that thread too, which I believe made some modification to the payload. I assumed that since I switched back to the original arm9loaderhax.bin, I was once again using the original payload though. It works fine to get into my "updated sysnand" just no cigar on decrypt9.

In case someone would be interested to use FIX94 a9lh, but can't compile it themselves, here's the stage0x5C000 + dark_samus updater. Simply copy both files to the SD root then power on your 3DS and follow on screen instructions.

https://mega.nz/#!cEd0AYqJ!OSGmCmN24sAY7Y8cdPaixYZAfQzSfygI_CtGtIyLtSk

Critical_Impact

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi, I am trying to get this running on a N3DS XL. It has 9.2E. I get up to Part 4, Step 32, once I get through the initial setup and it says "Opening Home Menu" the screen goes black and emunand stops working. I was able to get back into emunand again by restoring the backup but running through the steps from Part 4 Step 24 gets me the same result. Does anyone know why this happens?
Also, I'm not sure if this helps in any way but booting into cakefw seems to have a random chance of working, probably around 50% chance of it working, is that normal?

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I am trying to get this running on a N3DS XL. It has 9.2E. I get up to Part 4, Step 32, once I get through the initial setup and it says "Opening Home Menu" the screen goes black and emunand stops working. I was able to get back into emunand again by restoring the backup but running through the steps from Part 4 Step 24 gets me the same result. Does anyone know why this happens?
Also, I'm not sure if this helps in any way but booting into cakefw seems to have a random chance of working, probably around 50% chance of it working, is that normal?
do u have another sd card to test?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia

I'll just have a wild guess at what might have happened, probably not the case but worth a try. Maybe, your emuNAND wasn't updated before you started Part 4, and you are using an older CFW that doesn't support 10.6. You update your emuNAND, and exit Settings, but then you are booted to sysNAND without realising it. You dutifully install TinyFormat etc but then when you try to boot emuNAND again to do the second format, 10.6 is unsupported so it blackscreens.

Also yeah I found the same thing with Cakes, I had to restart a number of times during the process because Cakes just decided it didn't want to work.

Critical_Impact

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'll just have a wild guess at what might have happened, probably not the case but worth a try. Maybe, your emuNAND wasn't updated before you started Part 4, and you are using an older CFW that doesn't support 10.6. You update your emuNAND, and exit Settings, but then you are booted to sysNAND without realising it. You dutifully install TinyFormat etc but then when you try to boot emuNAND again to do the second format, 10.6 is unsupported so it blackscreens.

Also yeah I found the same thing with Cakes, I had to restart a number of times during the process because Cakes just decided it didn't want to work.

I believe you are onto something, I am an idiot, I restored the emunand and it's version 9.4.0-21E. I falsely assumed that it was up to date. What I found really weird is that I'm 99% sure I updated. If you update emunand, is there something that brings it back to this version or do you have to update multiple times on emunand?

Reactions: Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I believe you are onto something, I am an idiot, I restored the emunand and it's version 9.4.0-21E. I falsely assumed that it was up to date. What I found really weird is that I'm 99% sure I updated. If you update emunand, is there something that brings it back to this version or do you have to update multiple times on emunand?
Yeah when you restore emunand, it will be restored to the backup's firmware version. Maybe before you continue, make sure you can boot an updated emuNAND. I'm not sure how to update Cakes to the newer version - might just be a case of copying a new Cakes.dat? There will probably be info in the Cakes release thread by midkid. My idea will only be the answer if you didn't use the guide to set up CFW though (i.e. you had it set up already so skipped that part), since the files it links will be ones that support 10.6. Hopefully this is the case since then it won't be too hard to fix :-)

Reactions: Critical_Impact

Critical_Impact

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah when you restore emunand, it will be restored to the backup's firmware version. Maybe before you continue, make sure you can boot an updated emuNAND. I'm not sure how to update Cakes to the newer version - might just be a case of copying a new Cakes.dat? There will probably be info in the Cakes release thread by midkid. My idea will only be the answer if you didn't use the guide to set up CFW though (i.e. you had it set up already so skipped that part), since the files it links will be ones that support 10.6. Hopefully this is the case since then it won't be too hard to fix :-)

After properly updating my emunand I was able to get through the rest of the guide. On the last bits of Part 5 atm, thanks for your help!

ad1gjm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
If you don't have a 9.0-9.2 (emuNAND or sysNAND), then you cannot use Decrypt9 through HBL.
You should chainload it. Download the latest Decrypt9WIP, rename Decrypt9WIP to arm9payload.bin and place it in the /rei/ folder.
When booting your 3DS, hold L+R, it should boot into D9.
thanks @Supster131, I able go in D9 now. Now I can backup sysNAND-A9LHAX.bin
If I want to remove A9LH, do I need restore sysnand a9lh with original sysnand (before a9lh)?

nisemono

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So i'm currently on the step that restores my EmuNAND nand.bin to my SysNAND and this will install a9lh on it, however how long is the average time taken for it to restore? Mine is taking awfully long...

Edit: Ok it's finally done.. Took about 15mins though :o

Last edited by nisemono,

Rossy1001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have succesfully applied arm9 to my 2ds i have a couple of questions
1. Is it safe to update my ds when nintendo release new updates?
2. If i want to use a bigger sd card can i just transfer the files from my current memory card to the new one without loss of functionality.
Thanks in advance for replies

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
2. If i want to use a bigger sd card can i just transfer the files from my current memory card to the new one without loss of functionality.

1. Yes, as long as you use Reinand or Cakes with "Block FIRM partition updates" enabled.
2. Yes it should work

Reactions: Rossy1001

ad1gjm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
answer number 2 : try this
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-transfer-emunand-to-another-sd-card-working-on-new3ds.383684/
will make a 1:1 copy of the sd card

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto