Tutorial  Updated

Full Stock to arm9loaderhax CFW Guide - Completely Redesigned

https://3ds.guide/

This guide includes information to get you from nearly any situation to full arm9loaderhax CFW.

If you appreciate this guide and the work I put into maintaining it, I accept donations through both Bitcoin and PayPal.

Last edited by Plailect,

arda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
firstly, new looking of guide is nice :) but some fonts are too small.

In faq it's written as
Q:Can I keep my NNID?
A: If you start with an NNID and follow every step, you will end up keeping your NNID at the end.

Does that means nnid is loginable? Nnid is logged off after process. When I login to my nnid will my titles reappear. (I checked contents of sd with backup; inside of nintendo3ds is same but they're disappeared)

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
firstly, new looking of guide is nice :) but some fonts are too small.

In faq it's written as
Q:Can I keep my NNID?
A: If you start with an NNID and follow every step, you will end up keeping your NNID at the end.

Does that means nnid is loginable? Nnid is logged off after process. When I login to my nnid will my titles reappear. (I checked contents of sd with backup; inside of nintendo3ds is same but they're disappeared)
I can confirm that I can login to my NNID after doing the guide. Log back into your NNID and if you bought any games from the eShop, you'll have to redownload them. The saves should still there. The same thing goes for games downloaded through freeShop or CIAngel.

Reactions: arda

Thecrew3ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Reading the guide now
Section decrypt9
"If you have already hacked your 3ds before etc.."
I have a brand new n3ds is this part for me or concerns only previously hacked 3ds?
Thank you

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reading the guide now
Section decrypt9
"If you have already hacked your 3ds before etc.."
I have a brand new n3ds is this part for me or concerns only previously hacked 3ds?
Thank you

They mean if your 3ds is already on 9.2 and you are running an emunand, run all the steps on sysnand

Thecrew3ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
They mean if your 3ds is already on 9.2 and you are running an emunand, run all the steps on sysnand
Re decrypt9 section
Instructions step 2
"Copy the decrypt9wip folder from xxx to 3ds/on your sd card"
Is it the root or folder files9?

I just bought the console and want to make sure i understand all the steps and not mess up anything
Thanks

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Re decrypt9 section
Instructions step 2
"Copy the decrypt9wip folder from xxx to 3ds/on your sd card"
Is it the root or folder files9?

I just bought the console and want to make sure i understand all the steps and not mess up anything
Thanks

put the decrypt9 folder in another folder on the sd card named "3ds"

Shaker78

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I am now at Section IV and am not sure what to do. My 3DS is a new N3DS XL 9.0.0-20E.

I have neither an EmuNAND or use an O3DS or 2DS. Did i have to skip the complete section IV,
or do I need to make a system update (to 11.2.0-35?) only as indicated in step 2 and then continue with Section V?
Section IV - Restoring the System

If, before following this guide, you already had an EmuNAND setup and would like to move the contents
of your previous EmuNAND to your new SysNAND CFW, now is the time to follow Move EmuNAND instead
of doing the first step in this section.

If you are an Old 3DS or 2DS user who has done 2.1.0 ctrtransfer, do the following:
  • Copy NANDmin.bin to the /files9/ folder on your SD card
  • If your backup is of a version between 4.0.0 and 4.5.0, put firmware.bin - in /luma/ (delete this file after updating your 3DS)
  • Open Hourglass9 from arm9loaderhax by holding (Start) on boot
  • Go to “SysNAND Backup/Restore”
  • Restore from NANDmin.bin
  • Press (Start) to reboot
Update your 3DS again by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”,
then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”
  • Yes this is safe, stop asking about it.
  • If this gives you an error, set your DNS settings to “auto”

Thecrew3ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Since you're on 9.9 (-26 being the browser version) you might have a dummy browser.

First, block the DNS on the console Internet configuration with the Tubehax DNS.
See if you can use the internet browser on your console.
If yes, then you have a browser. Follow the guide accordingly.

If you don't have a working browser, you have to get another homebrew entrypoint (with a CART).
Just follow the guide but the No-Browser version of it.
Hi there
It says "to use the internet browser please update your system" just bought it new with 9.9.0-26e does it mean i have "no browser"?

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I am now at Section IV and am not sure what to do. My 3DS is a new N3DS XL 9.0.0-20E.

I have neither an EmuNAND or use an O3DS or 2DS. Did i have to skip the complete section IV,
or do I need to make a system update (to 11.2.0-35?) only as indicated in step 2 and then continue with Section V?
Section IV - Restoring the System

If, before following this guide, you already had an EmuNAND setup and would like to move the contents
of your previous EmuNAND to your new SysNAND CFW, now is the time to follow Move EmuNAND instead
of doing the first step in this section.

If you are an Old 3DS or 2DS user who has done 2.1.0 ctrtransfer, do the following:
  • Copy NANDmin.bin to the /files9/ folder on your SD card
  • If your backup is of a version between 4.0.0 and 4.5.0, put firmware.bin - in /luma/ (delete this file after updating your 3DS)
  • Open Hourglass9 from arm9loaderhax by holding (Start) on boot
  • Go to “SysNAND Backup/Restore”
  • Restore from NANDmin.bin
  • Press (Start) to reboot
Update your 3DS again by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”,
then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”
  • Yes this is safe, stop asking about it.
  • If this gives you an error, set your DNS settings to “auto”
Yes, do the system update since you already installed A9LH.

Hi there
It says "to use the internet browser please update your system" just bought it new with 9.9.0-26e does it mean i have "no browser"?
That is the update nag.
Your browser is working but you have to do some steps to bypass that. Follow this page completly:
https://plailect.github.io/Guide/homebrew-launcher-(browser)

This is your starting point.

Reactions: Shaker78

KeepPlanC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it take long to switch from aurenand to arm9? And can I use a different SD card to install it? My SD card is almost full and I wanna use an empty 8gb card instead

Thecrew3ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Since you're on 9.9 (-26 being the browser version) you might have a dummy browser.

First, block the DNS on the console Internet configuration with the Tubehax DNS.
See if you can use the internet browser on your console.
If yes, then you have a browser. Follow the guide accordingly.

If you don't have a working browser, you have to get another homebrew entrypoint (with a CART).
Just follow the guide but the No-Browser version of it.
Hi
I haven't proceeded with downgrade yet as trying to wrap my head around the process... by following the above steps to see i had a browser i got the 'nag message' and read on other forum that once you get this message you cant use the browser to begin the downgrading process
Is this true? Ir old news?
I found that a lot of forum have early Mid 2016 methods that seem to be outdated and found it confusing in what to do or not (even if this guide is there updated) as a new 3ds owner i want to gather most information and knowledge before following the guide but the downgrading world seems vast!!
Also in section installing arm9loaderhax if this guide
There is reference to (step 19) to delete stuff with regions in brackets im in eu should i remove all or just eu one??

Thank you

DiamondScalesAllen

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
A new update will be coming soon that allows for DSiWare NFIRM Downgrading without a second 3DS or hardmod for versions under 11.2.0.

is there any info as to how soon this method will be out, like any aproximation or would that be imposible to know.
im thinking of buyng a new 3ds and using it to stream but i am concerned that i might only get a 3ds with 11.0 or higher and where i live i cant find anybody that has a new 3ds with a9lh that would help me.
thank you.

porko

Trophies
XP
Country
A new update will be coming soon that allows for DSiWare NFIRM Downgrading without a second 3DS or hardmod for versions under 11.2.0.

is there any info as to how soon this method will be out, like any aproximation or would that be imposible to know.
im thinking of buyng a new 3ds and using it to stream but i am concerned that i might only get a 3ds with 11.0 or higher and where i live i cant find anybody that has a new 3ds with a9lh that would help me.
thank you.
From what I can tell you need access to the eShop to download the appropriate game, which requires you to update, this method is really only for people who were aware of this coming method and had bought/downloaded the games in advance. At least that is my understanding, would love to be wrong!

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi
I haven't proceeded with downgrade yet as trying to wrap my head around the process... by following the above steps to see i had a browser i got the 'nag message' and read on other forum that once you get this message you cant use the browser to begin the downgrading process
Is this true? Ir old news?
I found that a lot of forum have early Mid 2016 methods that seem to be outdated and found it confusing in what to do or not (even if this guide is there updated) as a new 3ds owner i want to gather most information and knowledge before following the guide but the downgrading world seems vast!!
Also in section installing arm9loaderhax if this guide
There is reference to (step 19) to delete stuff with regions in brackets im in eu should i remove all or just eu one??

Thank you
Since you're on 9.9, you can bypass that. Follow what is on this page (take note of step II) then jump to step IV:
https://plailect.github.io/Guide/homebrew-launcher-(browser)

After you have menuhax running, is time to do the 9.2 downgrade and then the Installing A9LH and you're done.

On that step you only take in account your console region (EUR in your case).

thank you.

Soon...
Read below...

From what I can tell you need access to the eShop to download the appropriate game, which requires you to update, this method is really only for people who were aware of this coming method and had bought/downloaded the games in advance. At least that is my understanding, would love to be wrong!
You can access the eshop on FW below latest if you run ctr-httpwn from homebrew.
But to run homebrew on 11.0/11.1 you'll need a CART entrypoint (Ocarina needs another hacked console to install the exploit or a powersaves) (Paper Mario Sticker is the same as Ocarina) (Freakyforms Deluxe is a good to get) (Cubic Ninja also a good to get but might be expensive).

After you access eshop with ctr-httpwn, you can download Steeldivers for free (needs a NNID on the console) and install steelhax.
This will allow you to run homebrew without the CART but you'll always need the CART to run the first time.

Then you can download a paid version of Fieldrunners (yes you have to buy the original game) and stay on 11.0 or 11.1 (whatever you have)

Reactions: porko

porko

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for that, glad I was wrong, I find out frequently that I'm still behind the times when it comes to this stuff :)

On a side note, I didn't even have the patience to play through the XX minutes required to load FreakyHax, luckily I have many other options.

bomigoton

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok, So I used this new guide 4 days ago on a n3ds on 10.3 stock and everything worked fine. downgrade, backups, a9lh otpless install, luma, update to 11.2, all good.

So yesterday I took another n3ds which I bought new in August (was on 9.4). It had a emuNand setup according to this guide I made in august. Emunand was on 11.0, I did not backup emunand. I started a online update, to update to 11.2. After reboot it did not start into emunand. So I updated luma to newest version (Luma3DS.dat) but still did not boot, meaning it got stuck in ctrBootManager, or switched off when trying to load newest luma. Booting into sysnand was possible. I had an emunand backup for 9.2 from three month ago, so I thought I can get it to boot into emunand with a9lh.

So i put the files on for the plailect guide, and opened homebrewlauncher from ctrBootManager. Then started a9lh installer, started install. shortly a message was visible, but cant remember what it was. installer chrashed, its not booting anymore.

I can send it in, as its only 3 months old I may get it replaced.
I used a (cheap) 32gb Emtec sd card on this device.

Is theree anything else I can do? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ok, So I used this new guide 4 days ago on a n3ds on 10.3 stock and everything worked fine. downgrade, backups, a9lh otpless install, luma, update to 11.2, all good.

So yesterday I took another n3ds which I bought new in August (was on 9.4). It had a emuNand setup according to this guide I made in august. Emunand was on 11.0, I did not backup emunand. I started a online update, to update to 11.2. After reboot it did not start into emunand. So I updated luma to newest version (Luma3DS.dat) but still did not boot, meaning it got stuck in ctrBootManager, or switched off when trying to load newest luma. Booting into sysnand was possible. I had an emunand backup for 9.2 from three month ago, so I thought I can get it to boot into emunand with a9lh.

So i put the files on for the plailect guide, and opened homebrewlauncher from ctrBootManager. Then started a9lh installer, started install. shortly a message was visible, but cant remember what it was. installer chrashed, its not booting anymore.

I can send it in, as its only 3 months old I may get it replaced.
I used a (cheap) 32gb Emtec sd card on this device.

Is theree anything else I can do? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Remove your microSD from the console and try to boot it. Does it boot or just turns off after a few seconds?

OR try to boot into recovery mode (Keep pressing L+R+A+UP(D-pad) when you power on). Does it boot (do NOT update)?

bomigoton

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Remove your microSD from the console and try to boot it. Does it boot or just turns off after a few seconds?

OR try to boot into recovery mode (Keep pressing L+R+A+UP(D-pad) when you power on). Does it boot (do NOT update)?
Thanks.
I tired recovery (L+R+A+up), select, Y (menuhax for sysnand) on startup. nothing works. for some reason the a9lh installer killed the boot loader, or did not write it to the end, or whatever.

When I would Hardmod it, would the 9.2 sysnand help to recover this state? sysnand 9.2 should be still ok, the bootloader part is broken (when I understand this right). Is this included in the emunand9 nand.bin backup I have?

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks.
I tired recovery (L+R+A+up), select, Y (menuhax for sysnand) on startup. nothing works. for some reason the a9lh installer killed the boot loader, or did not write it to the end, or whatever.

When I would Hardmod it, would the 9.2 sysnand help to recover this state? sysnand 9.2 should be still ok, the bootloader part is broken (when I understand this right). Is this included in the emunand9 nand.bin backup I have?
Did you try booting the console without the SD card?

Well, if you have a good 9.2 SysNAND backup (that you seem to have) then a hardmod can bring it back to life.
But I see no reason for you to do it if it's still on warranty. Remove any peripherals (Game CART, SD, etc) and send it to repair.
Even if you recieve a new one on FW 11+, you can use the other one you have to DSiware downgrade it.

Reactions: bomigoton

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast