FPS that really defined the genre, what do you think?

DKAngel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Im thinking the ones that made it for me was Action:Quake 2 and also the original Unreal tornament the games after those ruined it and now every single game that comes out these days is an fps and they are getting worse and worse

Flawsdraw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Goldeneye 64, probably my fav FPS of all time, not overly keen on FPS think they all a bit similiar the only other FPS i dont mind is Resistance and Resistance 2 remind me a bit of the CoD gameplay but at least not a WWII game

SgtYutz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Everyone should try breakdown, awesome fps for the xbox where everything you do is in first person.
it was a great step forward but didnt sell
sad.gif

link

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No FPS defined the genre, they are all the same, just with different guns and different characters. They all have the same goal, kill anything in sight, there is no story whatsover at all.

In other words, FPS are all the same.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Giga_Gaia said:
No FPS defined the genre, they are all the same, just with different guns and different characters. They all have the same goal, kill anything in sight, there is no story whatsover at all.

No story? Try CoD 4, Half Life 2 and Far Cry 2.
And probably some others too, but I can't think of any
tongue.gif

Louisiana

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Giga_Gaia said:

There are indeed minimal differences between most FPSs. The lack of difference is not in story, however, but in mechanics.

ipumuk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
milestones:

quake - it turned fps into a sport
half life - it turned fps into a story

also kind of important:
call of duty 1 - it invented realistic enemies (enemies performing on scripts)

Licardo7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely System Shock 2. Like they said before, it gave RPG elements to the FPS genre. Also, as far as I know, it was the first to introduced jamming and breaking guns to the FPS genre. These things gave Fall out 3 and Far cry 2 it's unique things. It also had an awesome story so I wouldn't say Half life was the only one to give FPS a story. It also benifited the horror FPSes. Remember the awesome atmosphere that scared the living crap out of you 7041314233 times!!!! I mean the cool computer voice that popped out of no were just freaked me out. And the worst sound you can ever hear in the game is the alarm sound you hear when the security cameras catch you.

This game practically started the survival horror FPS genre. This was a really good game.

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Giga_Gaia said:

In other words, you have never played TimeSplitters Future Perfect

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I believe that, it was Wolfenstein that started it all. Games like Doom, and Heretic made it better.

Doom made it better in terms of level design. Bet you didn't notice Wolfenstein was only a flat one-level floor per level. And Doom made it better by creating more than floor per level. They had stairs and stuff, made it more complex that way. Also, the weapon sways in Doom when you walk. Wolfenstein it remained stationary. Heretic did all of that, but they ALSO made it so you can look up and down, which I see as pretty revolutionary. After all, these ARE the games that did it first, so they deserve some recognition.

In terms of 'defined the genre', the game which deserves its picture next to the definition, it's probably Goldeneye 64, awesome game.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Giga_Gaia said:

CoD series, Half-Life series, Halo series (sshhh, doesn't matter if you like it or not), Deus Ex series, DooM series, Bioshock, FEAR, Rainbow Six series, Soldier of Fortune series, System Shock series, Turok series, Perfect Dark series, Resistance series, No One Lives Forever series... yeah, no story whatsoever at all. Trolling much, eh?

Moots

The Incredible Sulk
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Early FPS' defined the genre, Wolfenstien was little more than mazes with guns and nazis.

Doom 1&2 really took it to the next level, if you were a kid when these games came out, they were the first of thier kind, and were scary as hell, growls and snarls from monsters you couldn't see yet, a basic lighting system all added up to a hell of an experience, one that if you were not there when doom 1&2 hit would be lost on you.

Quake followed up, and while I don't think the series really changed the FPS genre it did keep pushing the envelope for graphics.

Half Life really took the Shooter to the next level, it was scary, it had a good story, and in my opinion was one of the first games where people really took a love to the main character (Gordon Freeman) who with his no dialog and quiet confidence clearly painted the way for Master Chiefs character type. Half Life 1 was amazing, interesting new monster types, cool weaponry etc. Not only was half life amazing but it spawned one of the most sucessful mods in history, counter strike, which eventually got gobbled up and went retail.

For those of you saying Halo, lets get one thing straight, if Halo were not a Console shooter it would have left little t no mark on the FPS genre. It just happened to be the next decent-good shooter for consoles since the amazing Goldeneye(which showed the world that FPS and multiplayer on a console was more than do-able) Halo brought very little to the table in regards to influencing the genre, no stand out mechanics, story line was meh, and the only shining point was that people adored MC, couple this with some of the earliest easy non local console mp and halo has been a sucess. Huge series. Nothing about halo says "Im a genre changer" except maybe showing the world a whole new level of fanboyism, and possibly starting the spark of the console fanboy wars on the level at which they operate now.

As for new FPS games that will make a mark on the genre. Portal is one for sure, love it, or hate it, some say it was too short. Portal brought something new to the genre, good story line, great environment (Behind the testing walls, with all the wall scrawls), great personality to the end boss, and a fantastically comical and catchy end tune. The game play is where it stands out. Nothing has been like portal, it was a completely new experience for FPS players, which was great especially if you’ve been playing FPS games since 1990.

Another Game I’d like to point out is Medal of Honour, sure it’s a tired series but I think they really brought the WW2 genre(Which is played out big time) to a new level. And lead to the countless WW2 shooters.

Just a brief insight into the genre on my part.

And for the guy who said FPS games have no story, you clearly aren't paying attention.

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Apart from the obvious ones like Wolfenstein 3D, DOOM and maybe Half Life, i think that Battlefield 1942 (and partially Codename eagle from the same company before it) kind of revolutionised the FPS genre, by adding massive battlefields (with up to 64 players!) free to roam and with free to use vehicles that anybody just could jump into and use it for their benefit, there was tanks, Planes, boats(incl submarines), you name it, you could parachute from the planes right into a fight etc. and with mods you could play loads of varied stuff, including flying helicopters and mods for modern time combat.
There were 5 different "classes" to be, sniper, assault, anti tank, medic and engineer which made the gameplay varied and more fun.
I was hooked on BF1942 and all its mods from end of '02 to like '04, early '05 and also bought some of the follow up games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.