Hacking Found a way of sorting roms in GW menu.

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks man, will try this. I grabbed Fat Sorter the other night and tried to sort the roms as is, but it didn't seem to have any effect. I didn't rename though, as I thought it would just do it alphabetically. Perhaps it just needs some kind of added sort criteria to go by.

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Does anyone knows how this Fat Sorter works?
What i mean is, what does it to the micro sd card? Does it reallocated (Write again)? If yes, does it shorten the lifespan of a micro sd card?

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No...... do you not know what the word sort means? It moves your files into the order you want by you putting a, b, c, d, e, etc. In front of your roms names. It does not rewrite, delete, or partition them in any way. It does not harm your micro.

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No...... do you not know what the word sort means? It moves your files into the order you want by you putting a, b, c, d, e, etc. In front of your roms names. It does not rewrite, delete, or partition them in any way. It does not harm your micro.
Yeah... no. It doesn't do that at all. What it does is realign them on the FAT (File Allocation Table) in alphabetical order. By default, the table records them by the order in which they were copied to the volume (in this case, the MicroSD card's FAT32/XFAT partition) and not alphabetically. As Gateway uses the FAT to build the display order, the order in which they are copied to the volume is the order that is shown. By resorting them with FAT Sorter, you're effectively changing the order of the entries for each file, which makes them sorted for the Gateway to read in your desired order. As a result, though you're not re-writing the files themselves, you are technically rewriting the FAT, but it's only once each time, and the FAT is too small to be worth worrying about in regard to life degradation of the MicroSD card.

Reactions: cearp

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
........ yes i know what it does. I was just simplifying(?) The process i just didnt want to take up as much time typing as you did. :lol: Im using my phone to type on not my computer so all that would have taken me a bit. N9t to mention an energetic almost 2 year old

High five though

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah... no. It doesn't do that at all. What it does is realign them on the FAT (File Allocation Table) in alphabetical order. By default, the table records them by the order in which they were copied to the volume (in this case, the MicroSD card's FAT32/XFAT partition) and not alphabetically. As Gateway uses the FAT to build the display order, the order in which they are copied to the volume is the order that is shown. By resorting them with FAT Sorter, you're effectively changing the order of the entries for each file, which makes them sorted for the Gateway to read in your desired order. As a result, though you're not re-writing the files themselves, you are technically rewriting the FAT, but it's only once each time, and the FAT is too small to be worth worrying about in regard to life degradation of the MicroSD card.

So if i understand it correctly, only the FAT get rewrited.
The reason i ask about this; is because i have a 128 gb sandisk micro sd. I do not want everything get rewrited though (currently 124 gb used), that would be killing the micros sd.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
17/06/14 Edit: Put as little handy update in the 1st post, seen as I though the thread is still being used for the new guys! Great to see it :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1