Getting MAME-NX v2.3 to see roms

urherenow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like necro-bumping threads and the last reply is a couple of years old: https://gbatemp.net/threads/mame-nx-0-72-release.515544/

Just wanted to say a few things and answer some questions that look like they were never answered.

1) This doesn't seem to look for chd files correctly, EDIT: FIgured it out. It looks in /switch/MAME-NX/roms, and must be a v1 chd.

2) your roms should be in /switch/MAME-NX/roms

3) the nro belongs in /switch/MAME-NX
I just tried for fun and fired up rtypeu. It plays, with sound working. There doesn't seem to be any options at all though, even though the menu has an "options" on it. I guess this can be fun for a novelty, but perhaps mame4droid would be better recommended. Haven't tried (on the switch).

4) It seems that "-" inserts a coin, "+" is P1 Start, and -&+ together exits the game. "-" from the menu brings you back to hbmenu. In game, R3 (push in right stick) brings up a menu so you can configure game input. Tread carefully. Delete .cfg file if you mess up buttons and can't get back.

If you know where to find a full, modern romset, you should also be able to find rollback roms. Between the two, you can use the attached dat file with clrmame and build a 0.72 set. Just be sure to make your settings correct so you don't delete/move/alter your new set, and instead, copy the needed files. You will need to point clrmame to both the current set, and the rollback roms (and of course, where the 0.72 set should be). Regardless, there was a single torrent I found with a nearly complete 0.72 set using Google.

Final thought: When getting your first game to run, such as rtypeu, mame-nx will have created the cfg folder with a default.cfg and rtypeu.cfg. But these files are not in plain text. I don't know why that is. Mame uses xml nowadays, but I still remember the cfg files being readable even on old mame versions...

Attachments

• MAME.0.72.zip
    597.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by urherenow,

urherenow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Figured out the chd files. MAME itself would look in /roms/romName/romName.chd. This app just looks in /switch/MAME-NX/roms.

So with the latest chd and latest chdman, create a .raw
Code:
chdman createraw -i kinst.chd -o kinst.raw

Then use hdcomp from 0.72 to create a v1 chd
Code:
hdcomp -create kinst.raw kinstv1.chd

Then place it in /switch/MAME-NX/roms, so both kinst.chd and kinst.zip are in the roms folder together.

I hope you enjoy like 5~17fps though. It's not worth it IMHO. But old arcade games and neo-geo stuff (I only tried puzzle bobble) seem to work great. Even MKII plays well enough, after you set the buttons correctly. I set mine to:

HP = Button 2 = Y
LP = Button 4 = B
BL = Button 3 = R (shoulder... trigger doesn't seem to register)
HK = Button 1 = X
LK = Button 5 = A

Last edited by urherenow,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto