Hacking Fixing a broken NAND with no backup (a9lh only?)

Halvorsen

OP
Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
I was discussing with a friend (@mrissaoussama) about how people could extract a bricked NAND from a Wii using bootmii and change files, to fix the NAND.

It isn't so simple to add random files to a 3DS NAND, but..

Say you have a bricked NAND on a9lh with no NAND backups.

You also have another hacked 3DS using updated sysNAND a9lh.

Can't you make a CTRtransfer out of the brick, transfer it to an emuNAND of the target system, fix the files using sysNAND's files, then CTRTransfer the working emuNAND back to the bricked system? Or are we missing something?

The steps would be the following.

1. Open Decrypt9 on the bricked system, and create a CTRtransfer file using the bricked nand.

2. Transfer this bricked CTRnand to an emuNAND of another 3DS.

3. Using GodMode9 and sysNAND, copy the files that caused the brick (for example, a bricked HOME Menu on a American 3DS) a content folder named 0008f02 from sysNAND.

4. Copy the file/folders from sysNAND and paste it into the bricked emuNAND. The emuNAND would now work.

5. Finally, create a CTRTransfer file from the emuNAND.

6. Open Decrypt9 on the bricked 3DS, then install the working CTRtransfer file. The system should now be reverted to its state before the brick.

Last edited by Halvorsen,

RyDog

Lazy Animal Crossing hacks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think that's possible... Correct me if I'm wrong, but also wouldn't a 'unbrickmii' like tool be possible from the Wii?
This tool would force the Wii to read update data from a disc to reinstall IOS titles.
Maybe possible with a arm9 payload to find out which title is missing/corrupted and restore it but who knows

Tenshi_Okami

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Did you read the entire post? It was about fixing a brick in CTRnand by using another system's files and transferring the ctrnand back to the original system.
The Plailect guide has CTRNANDs for those situations, if the problems is in the 3DS CTRNAND it should get fixed by using those in Plailect's guide

Halvorsen

OP
Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
End result, your flashing 3ds A to 3ds B which has 3ds A nand info, leading to a brick.

You need the xorpads..
Again. CTRtransfer, not a nand flash.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It would be easier to just dump ctrnand from the working system and transferring it to the bricked one

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
No, without using Decrypt9's tool, the CTRNAND would still be encrypted.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Halvorsen

OP
Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
The Plailect guide has CTRNANDs for those situations, if the problems is in the 3DS CTRNAND it should get fixed by using those in Plailect's guide
Still, if you don't want to lost info from your actual nand.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So then dump it using D9's tool? I don't see what's so hard about this.
That's uh
exactly what I said in OP

Halvorsen

OP
Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Here, I don't think anyone here gets it.

You cannot normally "swap" any parts of NAND between two systems without using Decrypt9's CTRtransfer tool.
Your missing the point here, its like beating a dead horse.

You need the xorpads from bricked console.

Without them your screwed.
No, Decrypt9 makes the CTRnand usable on other consoles. The new a9lh guide was based off of this.

Reactions: mrissaoussama

GilgameshArcher

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
KEEP 'EM ALL YOURS BACKUPS, ONE ONE YA SHALL NEED 'EM.

KEEP BACKUPS OF YOUR CELL
OF YOUR CONSOLES
OF YOUR PASSWORDS ( WRITE DOWN IN A SECRET NOTEPAD AND/OR AN AES ENCRYPTED ARCHIVE FILE).

Sorry, about the caps, but its past time for people learning that backups exist because they are worth.

Reactions: Hayato213

Halvorsen

OP
Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
I think everyone here is confused.

@astronautlevel, it seems to me that you think this post is about simply transferring a CTRNAND to a new system. Er, no. If system A's CTRNand is bricked, transferring it to system B wouldn't change a thing.

Mission not complete.

I would be using Decrypt9's tool to transfer the broken CTRNand to a working system with working files. Then, I'll use the files to fix the bricked files on the NAND while still keeping encryption good, then transfer it back to the original system (using CTRTransfer again), fixing the brick.

@Tenshi_Okami, the main point of this is to avoid as much data loss as possible. Using one of Plailect's would be the equivalent of having a freshly formatted console.

@vb_encryption_vb, you don't need xorpads to ctrtransfer. That was the point of mentioning CTRtransfers in the first place.

Last edited by Halvorsen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu