Final Fantasy VI for Android and iOS teaser images

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exact opposite side of the spectrum here, I really enjoyed the 3D remakes on the DS and I honestly think that slapping a filter over old 2D graphics and calling that a "remake" is just the lazy man's way out. I'd love to see what they could do with those games using contemporary technology even though I myself love 2D as well.

Im right here with you. These look like lazy RPG Maker games. Not remakes.

Reactions: loco365

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why remaking FFV and FFVI to iOS when they could do it for 3DS.
If DS had FFIII and FFIV remakes, it would be natural to have these remakes for 3DS.
Because the profit margin is much higher on those systems, and Squareeeenix has always been about pursuing the console that makes them the most.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm guessing the reason they're not remaking these two for the 3DS, it's because they'd rather invest on Dragon Quest games for the Nintendo 3DS since they usually sell more than the old Final Fantasy games (heck, a lot of people in the west that like Final Fantasy, dislike the old ones and only go for the post FFVII ones).

It's a shame though, I dislike VI myself and prefer IV and V over it, however a lot of old fans seem to enjoy VI and they could eventually sell quite a bit (wouldn't bet on it being that much though).

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I find the graphics ugly as hell. Is it so hard to remaster a game in 2D and keep the graphics charming, like I, II and IV on the PSP ?

Bah, who am I kidding, nowadays Squeenix is just looking for a quick moneygrab, so a filter on zoomed sprites is all they're gonna give us.

I'm pretty sure the 2D version of FFIV is the canon version, since Square compiled it with its sequels for the PSP remake (Keep in mind this came out after the DS version). So even if VI was to get a 3D treatment, its 2D counterpart would most likely be used instead if this game ever has sequels in the future/is included in another compilation.
As a matter of fact, The After Years (PSP version at least) uses the DS dialogues when there are flashbacks, even though the dialogues of FFIV in the Complete Collection are different. Also shows the flashback with Golbez and Cecil as kids, which was only included in the DS version of the game. So the most canon is that one.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Square Enix said they were originally developing 3D remakes of V and VI for the DS, but ran into technical issues. They hinted that they'd look into how the 3DS would do, and possibly shift development to that.

This was back in April 2010, about 10 months before the 3DS released in Japan. No word about it has appeared since then, so I think it's safe to assume they ditched the projects altogether in favor of the iOS/Android platforms.

Reactions: VMM

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People saying why remake FF6 for this and for that..... Why make it at all? Jesus its what nearly 20 years old and haven't we already played this release to death? How long are Square Enix gonna dine out on remake after remake of the first 6 Final Fantasies?

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing the reason they're not remaking these two for the 3DS, it's because they'd rather invest on Dragon Quest games for the Nintendo 3DS since they usually sell more than the old Final Fantasy games (heck, a lot of people in the west that like Final Fantasy, dislike the old ones and only go for the post FFVII ones).

It's a shame though, I dislike VI myself and prefer IV and V over it, however a lot of old fans seem to enjoy VI and they could eventually sell quite a bit (wouldn't bet on it being that much though).

You have heard dragon quest 1-9 are getting rereleases for the ios and android, right? Just saying incase you didn't know.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not give us fully fledged remakes on Vita/3DS instead of slapping bright GBAport-esque "HQ" filters on iOS and calling it a day :\

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I find the graphics ugly as hell. Is it so hard to remaster a game in 2D and keep the graphics charming, like I, II and IV on the PSP ?

Bah, who am I kidding, nowadays Squeenix is just looking for a quick moneygrab, so a filter on zoomed sprites is all they're gonna give us.

As a matter of fact, The After Years (PSP version at least) uses the DS dialogues when there are flashbacks, even though the dialogues of FFIV in the Complete Collection are different. Also shows the flashback with Golbez and Cecil as kids, which was only included in the DS version of the game. So the most canon is that one.

Hm, interesting. It makes me wonder why they didn't just port over the DS version, or at least include the changes that were in that one.

loco365

Trophies
XP
People saying why remake FF6 for this and for that..... Why make it at all? Jesus its what nearly 20 years old and haven't we already played this release to death? How long are Square Enix gonna dine out on remake after remake of the first 6 Final Fantasies?

Final Fantasy 4 is the worst culprit for that. It's on:

-SNES
-PS1
-DreamCast
-GBA
-DS
-PSP
-iOS
-Android

Not to mention it has sequels. Final Fantasy V is finally getting a port, albeit a lazy one, to iOS/Android, and so is VI. This is, quite literally, the first time either V or VI has had any kind of graphical update, since they looked similar on the SNES, PS1, DreamCast, and GBA. Only problem is that they aren't really updates, they're more like downgrades.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Graphical update my ass. It looks worse than the Snes or GBA versions IMHO. I'm sorry, but these mobile games look like utter garbage and resembles something I made in RPG Maker 2000 ;) But yes, IV is the worst offender.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Graphical update my ass. It looks worse than the Snes or GBA versions IMHO. I'm sorry, but these mobile games look like utter garbage and resembles something I made in RPG Maker 2000 ;) But yes, IV is the worst offender.

Which is why I said

Only problem is that they aren't really updates, they're more like downgrades.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: