Massive hack of FF6, Return of the Dark Sorcerer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who cares about emulators. anyone knows if works on real hardware?? once I got home I'm gonna test with my Super Everdrive and Retroduo.

It should, most ROM hacks nowadays are known to work on real hardware. The only potential issue is if the ROM hack was developed with Zsnes in mind, and that right there can really kill a hack.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Dayum, I knew it was bad, but this one is the proof in the pudding. Zsnes hasn't been updated since 2006, that's nearly a decade, and Zsnes 2.0 is as good as vaporware. It should not take eight years to port pure ASM to C+/C++ lol. Any ideas for a good thread name? Kinda like the one mentioned above?

To be fair, I have to say I've played through all of Clock Tower and all of Super Mario RPG without any graphical glitches (like in that Clock Tower video) or it crashing. I have to check Earthworm Jim 2 too, because I clearly remember that accordion working :wtf: unless I mix it up with something else :P

However, RetroArch with bsnes cores is just what I wanted and works perfectly for me :D (Now I just want to research how to run it in PAL and NTSC modes, and see if different region roms play differently and such).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Which version of this game would be the easiest to make a romhack out of? I hear the GBA has tons of tools available, but when i try them, they are tailored for asm engineers or some shit. sprites are garbled garbage, and I can only seem to find pokemon gen 3 editors.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, I have to say I've played through all of Clock Tower and all of Super Mario RPG without any graphical glitches (like in that Clock Tower video) or it crashing. I have to check Earthworm Jim 2 too, because I clearly remember that accordion working :wtf: unless I mix it up with something else :P

However, RetroArch with bsnes cores is just what I wanted and works perfectly for me :D (Now I just want to research how to run it in PAL and NTSC modes, and see if different region roms play differently and such).

Nope, it never did work, maybe in older versions, but Zsnes doesn't emulate streaming audio of the SPC700, which that game relies on, Snes9x and Bsnes use Blarrg's S-SMP core, which it cycle-accurate to the real S-SMP (SPC700). Bsnes and RetroArch is the only way I play it, better GUI lol. You're not confusing it at all so no sweat. Zsnes is indeed dead last in terms of compatibility and accuracy, unless people have a potato for a CPU, there's no reason to use it :lol: Games like Der Langrisser will crash after an hour or two, I recommend that link above another fellow user posted on the general emulation wiki, Zsnes is just plain FUBAR and not a good way to enjoy games the way they were meant to be emulated. Snes9x and Bsnes are very close. I really should make a thread about the comparisons.

Right now I'm isolating sound effects from Snes9x and Zsnes.

Which version of this game would be the easiest to make a romhack out of? I hear the GBA has tons of tools available, but when i try them, they are tailored for asm engineers or some shit. sprites are garbled garbage, and I can only seem to find pokemon gen 3 editors.

I would assume the US 1.0 version, good dumps usually have a [!] in the names. Google is your friend ;)

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
just tested on real hardware and it works perfectly. I was worried for the size of the rom but uses the biggest official rom size(6291456 Bytes + 512 Bytes of the useless header).
I used a Super Everdrive v1(china version) and a RetroDuo for this test.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just tested on real hardware and it works perfectly. I was worried for the size of the rom but uses the biggest official rom size(6291456 Bytes + 512 Bytes of the useless header).
I used a Super Everdrive v1(china version) and a RetroDuo for this test.

Awesome, so the hack was indeed optimized to work with better emulators, Bsnes is cycle-accurate so it's definitely good that it can run on real hardware ^_^

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Am I the only one who uses Snes-GT? It has excellent sound emulation, and supports most super mario world "zsnes hack only" without any issues.

Back on topic. This hack looks awesome! I definitely give it a go :grog:

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who uses Snes-GT? It has excellent sound emulation, and supports most super mario world "zsnes hack only" without any issues.

Back on topic. This hack looks awesome! I definitely give it a go :grog:

I like SnesGT a lot as well, and if I recall, it uses Anomie's (was that his name?) S-SMP core, which is slightly less accurate than Blarrg's S-SMP, very hard to tell a difference actually. Zsnes hacks aren't my thing though personally lol, but this emulator is still a crap load better than Zsnes XD A good test is the Lavos scream from Snes9x on Chrono Trigger, very hard to get right :P

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I like SnesGT a lot as well, and if I recall, it uses Anomie's (was that his name?) S-SMP core, which is slightly less accurate than Blarrg's S-SMP, very hard to tell a difference actually. Zsnes hacks aren't my thing though personally lol, but this emulator is still a crap load better than Zsnes XD A good test is the Lavos scream from Snes9x on Chrono Trigger, very hard to get right :P

Actually, I played through Chrono Trigger with this emulator and snes9x 1.53, as far I can tell, sound emulation is almost the same: accurate. Same for earthworm jim 2 and many games having sound problems in zsnes, they all sounds how they should :P

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I played through Chrono Trigger with this emulator and snes9x 1.53, as far I can tell, sound emulation is almost the same: accurate. Same for earthworm jim 2 and many games having sound problems in zsnes, they all sounds how they should :P

Oh definitely, both support SPC700 audio streaming, Zsnes does not. But there is one notable difference in audio cores, the Lavos scream on Chrono Trigger, https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Snes...AALajFP0jyi2Oqm2UpmBvW-Kt75-HTvNc44QzwOXKYd7A Snes9x 1.53 actually wins in this regard as it's 1:1 to the real deal :P Other than that, not much of a difference, either emulator is far superior.

I isolated that sound, heck, I should do the same to many of the hard-to-emulate games; Square Enix ones are the worst on Zsnes. And then make a blog entry or topic about it.

Reactions: VinsCool

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's my list:

BSnes/Higan > Snes9x 1.53 > SnesGT >>>>>> (far superior) >>> ZSnes

:P

Bsnes and the RetroArch GUI, yeah, I'm truly baffled as to why people still use Zsnes, it only ruins the experience for the hacks due to odd emulation behaviors. Did you listen to the Lavos scream? It truly pushed the SPC700 to the limit, only two emulators get it right, well, three. Snes9x, Higan, and Nintendo's Virtual Console.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Bsnes and the RetroArch GUI, yeah, I'm truly baffled as to why people still use Zsnes, it only ruins the experience for the hacks due to odd emulation behaviors. Did you listen to the Lavos scream? It truly pushed the SPC700 to the limit, only two emulators get it right, well, three. Snes9x, Higan, and Nintendo's Virtual Console.

SnesGT sounds good too. Maybe less accurate, but still more close to the real thing than ZSnes :P

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Oh I know, I have nothing against SnesGT at all, I hope they update it again sometime :P

I won't hide my thoughts, SnesGT is an excellent and underestimated snes emulator. I use this one more than snes9x because of most smw hacks having custom musics not working on snes9x. I'm greatly surprized on how this emulator works well on most games. I did a complete playthrough on SnesGT with Secret of mana, Chrono trigger, terranigma, Clock tower and many many more games. All of them were working perfectly. I also shared SRAM save on snes9xtyl MECM (for psp, based on snes9x 1.39) and I quickly noticed sound or graphic issues compared to the moste recent version (1.53) and snesGT. To me, both emulators are on par in compatibility, but SnesGT wins to me because my SMW hack with cutom music works perfectly on it, even if it is less accurate than snes9x in many points, at least it does the job pretty well. :moogle:

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't hide my thoughts, SnesGT is an excellent and underestimated snes emulator. I use this one more than snes9x because of most smw hacks having custom musics not working on snes9x. I'm greatly surprized on how this emulator works well on most games. I did a complete playthrough on SnesGT with Secret of mana, Chrono trigger, terranigma, Clock tower and many many more games. All of them were working perfectly. I also shared SRAM save on snes9xtyl MECM (for psp, based on snes9x 1.39) and I quickly noticed sound or graphic issues compared to the moste recent version (1.53) and snesGT. To me, both emulators are on par in compatibility, but SnesGT wins to me because my SMW hack with cutom music works perfectly on it, even if it is less accurate than snes9x in many points, at least it does the job pretty well. :moogle:

And that's fair enough :P I never used those SMW hacks to be honest, the problem is that they relied on broken timing and other anomalous quirks, but again, I have my opinions on why I like Snes9x more and to each their own ^_^

smizzoker123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personally i like snesgx wii homebrew. setting the filter to original on a standard-def tv looks just like me old snes from back in the day, ;)
i know its easy to hate on zsnes, but back in the day when all you had was a pentium 1 200mhz or a 486dx2, zsnes made those games run smooth as butter, with the power we have now with computers it has made the program obsolete.

also if you go to the rotds website, look in their forum somebody has a post to a mediafire link to the game, if your having problems patching or what not:)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personally i like snesgx wii homebrew. setting the filter to original on a standard-def tv looks just like me old snes from back in the day, ;)
i know its easy to hate on zsnes, but back in the day when all you had was a pentium 1 200mhz or a 486dx2, zsnes made those games run smooth as butter, with the power we have now with computers it has made the program obsolete.

also if you go to the rotds website, look in their forum somebody has a post to a mediafire link to the game, if your having problems patching or what not:)

Be careful with ROMs, you might want to edit that last part out, just in case, but yeah, Zsnes had its purpose back in ye old Pentium days, but as great as those days were, Snes9x is simply far superior. I was simply pointing out its flaws and why there is no reason to use it, unless someone has an Intel Potato 400 MHz CPU lol :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock