Pokémon Compass - A Scarlet/Violet Overhaul

logo.png

What is Pokémon Compass?
Compass is an overhaul designed to be a vanilla-enhanced experience for Scarlet and Violet focusing on the following:
  • Smoother progression through the main stories
  • Generally increased difficulty in trainer battles and post-game battles
  • Revamped raids and raid rewards
  • Wider selection of Pokémon both in the wild and added to raids
Quality of Life features are included to smooth out some of what we consider to be design deficiencies, or just to make exploration a little bit nicer, giving better access to EV items, evolution items, recovery consumables, etc.

Overall, Compass 2.x is a major departure from the 1.x series as we're now able to modify Scarlet/Violet's Lua code to change or implement our own functions as necessary and have a significantly deeper understanding of how the scene files operate within the game as well.

Feature Documentation
Download
Complementary Compass Tools
Raid Primer
Information on making informed decisions for Pokémon, moves, items, matchup considerations, and quite a lot more based around Compass’ post-game 6★ and 7★ raids.

Raid Log
A log of the dev solo completions of the post-game 6★ and 7★ raids.
Contains strategies, potential counter-picks, moveset choices, and shows a wide variety of Pokémon are capable of completing these challenges.

Habitat Finder
Uses the spawn and habitat data from the current version of Compass to allow searching for where Pokémon can spawn.

Area Encounters List
Lists all of the available Pokemon in a given region.

Primary Features
  • A Trainer & Gym overhaul that manually reworks all 387 encounters and allies
  • Tougher Titan fights with new ally partner Pokémon
  • Tougher Team Star scenarios
  • Higher difficulty and max level repeatable post-game tournament and Team Star rematches
  • Removal of all version-exclusive Pokémon and raids, including the box legendaries, allowing all Pokémon to be obtained in-game
  • Higher levels for wild Pokémon
  • 35 new symbol encounters added into the world
  • New evolution methods and items used for no-trade and version-specific evolutions
  • All currently-available HOME Pokémon have been added into the game, including all the legendaries, mythicals, and alternate and regional forms
  • New evolution methods to gain regional variants have been included
  • A functional Pokédex with entries for the HOME, Regional, and newly-added Pokémon
  • Raid overhaul touching on every raid for increased difficulty, reward, or encounters
  • 217 new raids added for many HOME Pokémon, including high-challenge mythical and special legendary fights
  • Special “event” raids for acquisition of rare or transfer-only forms
  • Raid Ally Overhaul for better NPC support during Raids, replacing all existing 52 allies
  • Adding new Raid Ally tiers to make the allies more meaningful at all stages of the game, adding in 36 new trainers for late-game and post-game raids
  • Revamped raid levels and appearance rates for more consistent challenge and fewer low-ranked raids in the endgame
  • Wholly overhauled raid loot rewards with completely custom loot tables, with a particular focus on better team growth and training items
  • Reworked hidden item loot tables for every applicable zone in the game
  • Modified Poké Mart and Delibird Presents shops
  • Shiny Lock Removal
  • Support for English, French, German, and Spanish languages

Quality of Life Features
  • Synchro Machine usability usable everywhere.
  • Custom map and map labels for more-clear progression direction
  • A custom sandwich buff shop that sells a variety of buffs for each type
  • Unlocked TM list available to purchase from the start
  • Improved picnic for faster eggs
  • Slightly increased message speed to reduce some of the sluggishness of combat

And honestly, a whole lot more.
Check out the feature documentation for the full list of modifications.
We've changed a few things. Seriously, it's 60 pages long.[/SPOILER]

Latest Version
Version 2.0.4.3 - Indigo Disk Compatibility
Check out our Changelog for a full breakdown of this update.

2.x Update Major Highlights
Synchro Anywhere
Once unlocked, the Synchro Machine can be used anywhere that you can use Let's Go mode. Even outside the Terarium.

Revamped Raid Allies
Raid allies have been completely reworked from beginning to end.
  • Compass now includes five tiers of raid allies, up from three that vanilla originally had, resulting in 36 new raid allies added.
  • The level distribution of raid allies has been changed to account for the new tiers.
  • All 52 existing raid allies have had their partner Pokémon completely reworked, with updated stat progression, wholly new movesets, Abilities, Held Items, etc.
  • The general strength and capability of the raid allies has been increased slightly, by providing a bit more utility compared to before.
    You can find the complete breakdown of new Pokémon and their general strength (stats and levels, etc.) by going to the updated section of the documentation: Ally Raid Overhaul

Wild Vivillon Forms
Despite GameFreak's update to prevent this we've modified the game's Lua to allow for wild Vivillons of all forms to spawn once again.

No longer will we have to just look at the Fancy ones. (Or use to Pokémon Go to get alternate forms.)

35 new static encounters have been added to the world, with behavior files included so they are integrated into the world properly, sometimes with behavior more unique to the environment they were placed in or with the idea in mind when creating these encounters.
  • Most are new Tera encounters, but not all of them are — Some of them are particularly special for other reasons, such as being a rare form, or just otherwise “particularly rare”.
  • Many are slated for endgame and have high potential for IVs, and a high catch level. Others are also “strong” but meant more for progression, and can include some things like egg and TM moves.
  • You can find a few of these in places like towns as well. These roam around in specific areas in specific ways~

Titan Adjustments
We've decoupled the Titan's second fight form with the catchable Former Titan and no longer have to worry about the catchable one basically being a version of the second boss fight.
As such, the Titans have seen significant adjustments befitting their titles.

Arven has also gotten some adjustments in this regard. He now brings along three appropriately themed Pokémon to the fights.

Box Legendary Respawning
The Miraidon/Koraidon event fight now respawns once per day and can be recaptured.

Wandering Wild Pokémon
Wild Pokémon no longer disappear when you step into a town or in some Pokécenters.
  • Some Pokémon can spawn inside of the town, usually around trees or along the edges of the town.
  • You can also fight and catch them in town.
  • Some wild Pokémon may also chase you into town!

Misc. Lua Changes
Addressing certain aspects of the game's Lua code to correct weird placement bugs for double battles, bypassing the anti-Vivillon alternate form spawn code, and updating the nushi spawners to use new data.

Screenshots
7star_event_raid.png
6_star_raid.png
expanded_pokedex.png
expanded_pokedex_entries.png
home_openworld.png
ionodouble.png
tournament.png
map_progression_changes.png
delibird.png
pokemart.png

A Word on Difficulty
Compass isn't, strictly speaking, a difficulty overhaul.

While the changes to the trainers and other major fights will result in an increase in difficulty, this is not strictly for the purpose of creating “high difficulty”.
We avoid requiring cheese strats and constant, trudging, uphill-both-ways designs in favor of measured progression and pushback.

It does not give every trainer max stats and competitive teams from the beginning, for example; the prevailing design principle is the idea that the difficulty should increase as you progress through the game consistently, so that as you are provided with more opportunity for building a strong team, so too will the fights against you become tougher.

The intention is to create a smoother sense of progression from beginning to end and on through post-game with some amount of increased challenge throughout your journey.

Differences between SV+ and Compass
It's been asked repeatedly in a few places as to the differences between SV+ and Compass as they were released on the same day so I had Kas write up a brief overview.
TL;DR:
Compass is a complete overhaul designed to be a vanilla-enhanced experience focusing on a smoother progression curve through the main stories and post-game.

SV+ is a vanilla-like experience with features focusing on improved player experience (faster overworld movement, faster eggs, etc).

Both change trainers​

Compass manually reworks every trainer in the game, giving them new and/or more Pokémon, new movesets, IV and EV distribution, improved AI functions, and held items. And around 25% of the encounters in Compass are Doubles battles.

SV+ uses vanilla trainer teams, moves, AI, etc., and applies a flat 40% multiplier across the board to trainer levels.

Both change raids​

Compass overhauls nearly every raid in the game and adds 210+ new standard and event raids including mythicals, legendaries, alternate forms, and special post-game challenge raids. Also adds event raids which range from 4★ to 7★. Raid loot has been completely revamped.

SV+ adds all legendaries, mythicals, paradox Pokémon, and alternate forms to new 5★ raids. Raid loot includes additional Tera Shards along side the vanilla drops.

Both add HOME Pokémon into the wild​

Pokémon that can be found in Scarlet/Violet and HOME are obtainable via the inclusion of customized versions of Team Seri's Expanded Wild Pokemon mod, which brings in all of the HOME Pokémon into the game while also removing version exclusives and adding evolution methods to get regional versions and the like.

Compass takes this further by adding Pokédex entries, IDs, habitats, and Dex images, and including behaviors so every added Pokémon interacts with the player and the world and is fully integrated.

Both mods do allow every Pokémon to be obtained, including alternate and regional forms.

Overall​

Compass may suit you if you're wanting an overhauled and fresh experience that's more progression-oriented, with gradually ramping difficulty, and almost entirely all new raids.

SV+ may suit you if you're wanting a more vanilla-like experience with changes to the player experience, higher level trainers, and new additional raids.

Last edited by Aria_Seri,

crono686

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a question relating to compatibility with existing savefiles. I assume it will take time to get everything ready for the 3.0.0 patch/dlc. So, will your mod work if i start using it in the middle of an existing savefile, once your mod is up to date? Or will it cause issues and you recommend to always start a new game with this mod?

Aria_Seri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question relating to compatibility with existing savefiles. I assume it will take time to get everything ready for the 3.0.0 patch/dlc. So, will your mod work if i start using it in the middle of an existing savefile, once your mod is up to date? Or will it cause issues and you recommend to always start a new game with this mod?

If you just started your game or are pretty early in it, like.. just started the treasure hunt, while we do make changes from the earliest points in the game onward, you're not missing all that much at that point.

However, if you are later on in the game we definitely recommend starting a new save and playing the mod from the beginning as a significant amount has changed.

To answer your question more directly, existing save files are compatible, but we definitely recommend starting a new game if you're past the first gym already.

Herculeex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you just started your game or are pretty early in it, like.. just started the treasure hunt, while we do make changes from the earliest points in the game onward, you're not missing all that much at that point.

However, if you are later on in the game we definitely recommend starting a new save and playing the mod from the beginning as a significant amount has changed.

To answer your question more directly, existing save files are compatible, but we definitely recommend starting a new game if you're past the first gym already.

Good info. I haven't started a game yet so ima wait til you update and play thru the first time with ur mod

crono686

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Thanks for the answer.

So am i right that depending on how far i am, i will miss out on every changed trainer battle and story fights and have to come back to older areas to catch new roaming pokemon, right?

Another question concerning exp-gain and roaming starter pokemon:
Last year i played SV+ and two things where a little annoying and I want you to ask if your mod does this the same way?
1. Nearly every route had roaming starter pokemon and they were not rare. I really wanted them to be on a few specific routes only and be much rarer to find, so that it would feel like this pokemon is something special.
2. Late in the game i wanted to start grinding boxed pokemon to fill up my living dex by fighting the lvl 50 chanseys and i noticed only at that point that the exp-gain changed and you couldn't grind chanseys anymore because you only got a normal amount like from any other wild pokemon.
You could ask me, why i just didn't use exp candy, and that is because i only do necessary tera raids and don't like them that much. Normal grinding is more fun for me.
Does your mod is similar as these two things from SV+? Thanks.

Edit: i can now anser my own questions.
1: starter Pokemon are not really rare but they are only on specific routes which is good.
2: I fought a few chanseys and they give much more exp than other pokemon, so the exp-curve is the same or not much different from the vanilla game.

Thank you so much for tihs mod. The 3.0.0 update works great. Hopefully you update everything for the second dlc soon.
I am excited for the pokedex update. It is great to see, that every pokemon from Paldea has a number and a pokedex entry.

Are there any plans to update the paldea dex with every dlc pokemon, so that every pokemon has a number to make a pseudo national dex?

Last edited by crono686,

Aria_Seri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Compass 2.0.4.3 has been uploaded.
This contains a number of bugfixes that snuck in from previous releases.

This update also contains an early holiday surprise:

You can now use the Synchro Machine anywhere.

As always:
Compass can be downloaded @ https://compass.winterfall.org/download
Feature documentation can be found here

If you downloaded 2.0.4.3 Standalone and are having loading issues, please redownload the latest v4 version.
We had ourselves a bit of a packing issue, but that's been resolved.

Last edited by Aria_Seri,

Herculeex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see that v3.0.0 is supported now. Should I wait or is it good to start a playthrough with the current patch? Would i have to restart later on. Im wondering if you are done with new dlc with this patch. I'm thinking i should maybe wait.
Post automatically merged:

I see that v3.0.0 is supported now. Should I wait or is it good to start a playthrough with the current patch? Would i have to restart later on. Im wondering if you are done with new dlc with this patch. I'm thinking i should maybe wait.

Aria_Seri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is just the Indigo Disk compatibility patch plus a new surprise feature.

The overhaul for DLC1 and DLC2 is slated for version 2.1.0.0.

compass_roadmap.png

Probably easier for me to have you refer to the roadmap instead of explaining it out.

Most if not all of these we've done proof of concepts for but haven't been able to flesh out entirely since we had other things to shore up and were waiting on the release of DLC2.

There are no dates or ETAs provided for these, and until we're getting close to being able to work on each update or release it, will probably not provide anything other than vague estimations. They'll be done when they're done basically.

Herculeex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dang i may playthru once on current version on scarlet then do violet once u reach compass 3.0

thanks, that cleared things up for me

Spidey8520

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is awesome, do you have a list of changed gym leaders? I like to match the number of pokemon on my team to whatever the gym leaders have. It helps to know that info ahead of time.

Spidey8520

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thank you for responding. I looked through the guide already, but so far have been unable to find the information I'm looking for. Specifically I was wanting to know how many pokemon each gym leader has for the main quest.

The guide only specifies that there are "more pokemon added" to the gym leaders. But It would be nice to know how many that is. (First gym has 3 poke, Second gym has 4, etc.)

I can always try to save the game before the gym battle and then restart once I see the result, but that can be a tedious way of playing through compass if the information is already readily available.

Herculeex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This mod is bomb. Im like 5 gyms through now. Running Garchomp and Haunter. 3/5 titans 1 Team star base lol

Rajara

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heya! Would it be possible to get the Synchro Machine early without having to go all the way to post game?

Like if you PKHex it into your inventory (and have it functional without having to hit a in game flag to activate it) or have a means to obtain it via the school or some other means?

Would be nice to play with it during the base game story is all. Thanks!

Heya! Unsure if it's been asked already but... Would it be possible to get the Synchro Machine early without having to go all the way to post game?

Like if you PKHex it into your inventory (and have it functional without having to hit a in game flag to activate it) or have a means to obtain it via the school or some other means?

Rajara

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heya! Would it be possible to get the Synchro Machine early without having to go all the way to post game?

Heya! Unsure if it's been asked already but... Would it be possible to get the Synchro Machine early without having to go all the way to post game?

Nevermind.. you can rush it pretty quickly at the beginning of the game. Just get through the intro of Kitakami, and the Director asks you to go there. From there, just get past Lacey and you can beeline to the central area of the Terarium. Though you will be expected to defeat 3 lv 70 pokemon with auto battle.

Aria_Seri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is something we're going to be flagging for the player early in the 2.1.0.0 update since it'll involve changing around and inserting a check event when the game loads.

For now we just wanted to get something out at the very least for people to play around with in 2.0.4.3.

Spidey8520

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just asking again if there is some sort of list for the gym leaders. Just something like (Grass Leader: 4 Poke, Double Battle; Ghost Leader: 5 Poke, single battle; etc.) It's fine if it doesn't exist, I'd just like to know I'm not missing anything.

Herculeex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I beat this mod, it was great. I'm spoiled now. Vanilla brilliant diamond seems very very easy and boring after this mod.

Aria_Seri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just asking again if there is some sort of list for the gym leaders. Just something like (Grass Leader: 4 Poke, Double Battle; Ghost Leader: 5 Poke, single battle; etc.) It's fine if it doesn't exist, I'd just like to know I'm not missing anything.
Sorry, I don't pop in here all that much.

Here's a link to the Victory Road and Victory Road Expectations sections in the documentation that goes over the changes we've made in Compass.

In a future update we'll be informing players before they go into the match how many Pokemon, requirements, etc. the gym fight will be:

Reactions: Herculeex

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto