File Trip?

mbcrazed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this is the right place to post things, but What's the difference between Manually Downloading a file from file trip, or Automatic? I've always picked Automatic!

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't know if this is the right place to post things, but What's the difference between Manually Downloading a file from file trip, or Automatic? I've always picked Automatic!
Automatic gives you some bloatware installer with ads while Manual will just download the file IIRC. I think Automatic is faster though, but I'm not sure as I always use manual.

mbcrazed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Automatic gives you some bloatware installer with ads while Manual will just download the file IIRC. I think Automatic is faster though, but I'm not sure as I always use manual.
So Manual, just downloads the files without any ads and toolbars?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, manual is faster and no ads, but automatic gives filetrip a little bit of money to help pay for hosting.
In theory, automatic is supposed to be faster I thought, because it uses others servers or something which are supposed to be faster than FileTrips. At least, that was one of the claims made when they first introduced it as a compulsory thing.

I haven't a clue if this is the case, I use manual on the few occasions I download anything from there.

Reactions: Arras

mbcrazed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In theory, automatic is supposed to be faster I thought, because it uses others servers or something which are supposed to be faster than FileTrips. At least, that was one of the claims made when they first introduced it as a compulsory thing.

I haven't a clue if this is the case, I use manual on the few occasions I download anything from there.
It does download faster, but you have to skip a whole bunch of ads and crap!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

I doubt it's the case, as that would mean keeping mirrors of everything. An upload-on-demand service would still have the filetrip upload speed as a bottleneck.

It does download faster, but you have to skip a whole bunch of ads and crap!
It doesn't, it just appears to do so because while you're skipping the ads, it's actually already started downloading it in the background, so when it actually "starts", it's catching up to what was already downloaded, which throws off the values (as they're averaged).

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I doubt it's the case, as that would mean keeping mirrors of everything. An upload-on-demand service would still have the filetrip upload speed as a bottleneck.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I recall reading the same thing, that the downloads are mirrored on faster servers for the auto-download.

If you're on Linux, you don't get the choice. It's the only time I love applications to be tied to a single platform (ie, Windows).

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ydTK7.png

This is what appears when hovering over "automatic download". (Just in case you don't believe me that they make this claim; I have no idea if it's true and don't much care. I'll happily sacrifice a little speed to avoid adware nonsense.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.