Skeletron 9000
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I noticed this problem just today, I opened up FCEU GX and decided to play some Batman. I pressed A to launch the game and it just froze with a sort of partially darkened version of the FCEU GX Menu, so I reset the system. I went back and the same thing happened, so I thought I'd try another game to see if the emulator was messed up.

The other 3 games I tried all loaded up fine, so I thought I might have a bad rom or it had been corrupted since I put it on the SD card.
I took the SD card and put it into my computer and tried loading the rom up in FCEU and it worked fine, so I copied over the rom again with a 1 at the end of the filename so I had an extra copy of the game on the card.

I put the card back in the Wii and loaded up the newly copied rom and it loaded perfectly fine, so I decided to open up WiiExplorer and change the file name of my original "Batman (U).nes" file to "Batman (US).nes" and the file now loads fine.

I don't know if there's a problem with the settings on my copy of FCEU GX or if the Latest version has a bug or what but I thought if anyone was experiencing the same type of problem, you might try changing the file name and see if that works for you.

EDIT: I went back and tested more games only to find out that my rom "Bomberman (U).nes" experienced the same glitch. I first thought there may be a bug in the program that doesn't like "xxxxman (U)" together because my copy of "Mega Man (U).nes" doesn't experience this problem as the words Mega and Man are separated from each other but upon further investigation I changed it to "Megaman (U).nes" and it still loaded fine, then I went on to try "Bomberman II (U).nes" and that just froze so I changed it to "Bomberman II (U) [!]" and it booted perfectly fine. Very odd indeed, maybe the emulator doesn't like words that star with B to end with man when it's combined with a (U) by it self?

EDIT 2: Please see further into the thread for updated info.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
FCE Ultra randomly freezes here too.
If you keep expereincing problems I's recommend Wiimednafen.
It emulates NES very, very well IMHO.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Thank you Hielkenator, I will definitely give Wiimednafen a try, but so far the only problem I've had with FCEU GX is the odd freezing with those certain files, but it was all resolved by changing the names to include either [!] at the end or changing the (U) to (US) or (USA). I'm sure you can add any combination of extra characters to the name to make it work, but I'm quite sure I played those games with FCEU GX before but perhaps it only started happening with the latest version. I will test it with the previous 2 or 3 versions and report my experiences back at a later time.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Try to remove the line from meta.xml.
thanks, but I already did that due to DSI exceptions when I first installed it. Also I always make sure it's removed when a new version is installed. I honestly don't see the point of the line for these emulators. I don't know if there's a purpose for it.

EDIT: I further researched and tested all the games I have on the card, here's what came up:

Batman
Bomberman
Bomberman II
Battletoads & Double Dragon
Clu Clu Land
Defender II
Double Dragon
Double Dragon II
Double Dragon III

all of them needed to have the name changed to load

Ironsword - Wizards and Warriors II needed to have the name changed as before it was giving only a gray/grey screen

Wizards and Warriors just makes a single beep sound then stay on a grey screen forever no matter if the name is changed or not

The following games keep giving only a grey screen even after having the name changed:
Magical Taruruuto Kun Fantastic World!!
Magical Taruruuto Kun 2
Majou Densetsu(don't remember is it was I or II or the subtitle)
RC Pro AM (PRG 0)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

I could have sworn most if not all of these games worked in a previous version of the program but the only way to find out is to test other versions.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the purpose of the no_ios_reload line in the emulators is so they can access the dvd drive and you can load roms from burned dvds.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
thanks GiantPune, I have a newer Wii which will not read DVD's, so I would've never noticed the difference.

Anyway, I reset the Wii once more and now Wizards and Warriors, RC Pro Am and Who Framed Roger Rabbit are all working but those 3 Japanese games still just grey screen.

I'd still like to know what the hell is causing the games not to load due to the way they are named, it really makes no sense at all to me.

EDIT: I tried out both versions 3.2.4 and 3.1.3 and Majou Densetsu 2 works in those but not in the latest version. However both Magical Taruruuto Kun games still do not work. 3.2.4 would not load the games from my hard drive with the old names and 3.1.3 kept saying the hard drive could not be found. I didn't want to have to go back and change every name on the sd card again, maybe at a later time I will experiment with this.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I Just tried another SD Card that had stuff on it from when I hacked my Brother in Law's Wii, all the games that needed name change with mine work perfectly fine on that card, dunno what the problem is. I even reformatted my card and put everything back on it. I have yet to test those 3 Japanese games on 3.2.6 with the other card.

BTW it's FAT32, always has been.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's an odd issue... i should try those games myself and are you the latest version i'm kinda sleepy so i can't tell...

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I did further testing and discovered that if I deleted the cheat files for the games that most of them work without issue.

The following games work after having their .cht file removed even with having the original name:
Batman
Bomberman
Bomberman II
Battletoads & Double Dragon
Clu Clu Land
Defender II
Double Dragon
Double Dragon II
Double Dragon III
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

The 3 Japanese games refuse to do anything but give a grey screen.

The weirdest thing I found is that the following games would only give a grey screen after trying to load Majou Densetsu 2:
Ironsword - Wizards and Warriors II
RC Pro Am
Wizards and Warriors

I checked out what could possibly be a connection to only those 3 games not working after trying to load it and I found that they are all made by RARE, it's possible that Battletoads & Double Dragon and the other Double Dragon games will experience the same issue since they're also by RARE but as they're aphabetically before Majou Densetsu I've never tested it that way.

I tried loading the Magical Taruruuto games seperately to see if they were causing any issues with other games but they were not.

EDIT: I tried loading up the Magical Taruruuto Kun games and Majou Densetsu 2 in the latest Windows version of FCEUX and they all give a grey screen. I usually use the original FCE Ultra to load my NES roms and that loads all the roms fine without issue. I'd like to know what's causing all the other strange issues with the .cht files and the RARE games not loading after Majou Densetsu, though.

seam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
had the same exact issue and had to find out on my own that removing the cheat files was the solution. had i seen yr post earlier i coulda helped ya out :P

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
had the same exact issue and had to find out on my own that removing the cheat files was the solution. had i seen yr post earlier i coulda helped ya out :P
Thanks anyways dude, it's good to know that I wasn't the only one having that problem. It seems odd to me that the cheat feature can't be used with some of the games, unless maybe it was a corrupted .cht file causing the problem. I haven't tried putting the Game Genie Rom and using the game genie option yet but to me it's easier putting on a .cht file. Not that I really use cheats, I mainly let my gf's daughter use them so she won't bug us/complain when she dies in the games.

KnucklesOwnsGC

Nintendo Gamer 4 Life
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey dude, thanks for posting this thread. I've been toying with game genie and .cht files in FCEGX lately and was getting really annoyed when certain games (Clu Clu Land and Double Dragon, in particular) would cause my Wii to freeze. I used the pre-compiled .cht list found here http://code.google.com/p/fceugc/downloads/list so I doubt the .cht files are corrupted... I guess certain games just wont work with cheats then huh? Strange... :unsure:

Reactions: RchUncleSkeleton

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly