Hacking EZflash 3-in-1 battery life?

Searinox

Dances with Dragons
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
2,056
Trophies
1
Age
35
Location
Bucharest
XP
2,026
Country
Romania
Does anyone know how long the battery of the EZ 3 in 1 lasts? As you all know the battery backs up SRAM saves, and losing your savegame on a game such as Pokemon can really really hurt after a considerable amount of time. Are there any estimates?
 

Searinox

Dances with Dragons
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
2,056
Trophies
1
Age
35
Location
Bucharest
XP
2,026
Country
Romania
2 years?! Whoooooa waitaminute. I have my old pokemon red cart it's 10 years old by now, it backs up its savegames on SRAM battery just like an EZflash and it's still got my savegame. You're telling me that an EZflash 3 in 1, made with technology 10+ years more advanced, will only last a fifth of that time?!
 

ryuujin2788

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
May 7, 2007
Messages
80
Trophies
0
XP
108
Country
United States
Pretty much.

Think about it: you're putting far more pressure on the 3-in-1 than on your Pokemon cart, even if you are as big of a nerdy Pokemon fan as I am.
 

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
2,351
Trophies
0
XP
1,182
Country
United States
So backup your saves to your HDD or a flash drive from time to time. And replace the battery @ Radioshack or Walmart for a few dollars. And then move on
smile.gif
 

Searinox

Dances with Dragons
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
2,056
Trophies
1
Age
35
Location
Bucharest
XP
2,026
Country
Romania
ryuujin: I probably am. XD
They should have included a flash chip, not SRAM for saving games. I mean at 32MB permanent memory chip what would have been the cost to throw in another 512KB chip for saves too?

Anyways I replaced the internal CR1220 battery of the cart with a CR1620. It's got double capacity, so I'm hoping it'll last me twice of... whatever it was designed to last. I still can't find clear info on wether it's 2 years or 3-4 like cory said he calculated on the EZV forums.
 

Eternity`

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
107
Trophies
0
Age
31
Location
Holland
XP
60
Country
Netherlands
Searinox said:
ryuujin: I probably am. XD
They should have included a flash chip, not SRAM for saving games. I mean at 32MB permanent memory chip what would have been the cost to throw in another 512KB chip for saves too?

Anyways I replaced the internal CR1220 battery of the cart with a CR1620. It's got double capacity, so I'm hoping it'll last me twice of... whatever it was designed to last. I still can't find clear info on wether it's 2 years or 3-4 like cory said he calculated on the EZV forums.

my battery is dead also, can u tell me how you replaced it? i opened up my 3 in 1 and it seems i got version one from 2007
 

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2006
Messages
2,274
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
390
Country
Searinox said:
2 years?! Whoooooa waitaminute. I have my old pokemon red cart it's 10 years old by now, it backs up its savegames on SRAM battery just like an EZflash and it's still got my savegame. You're telling me that an EZflash 3 in 1, made with technology 10+ years more advanced, will only last a fifth of that time?!
smile.gif

You are probably talking about the RTC feature of your original GBA pokemon game. This game has a flash memory and a battery to maintain clock time (RTC).
So, it's not a surprise that flash memory keep better data (here, GBA save) than SRAM one.
happy.gif


And concerning battery life of the ez 3in1, got mine since march 2007 and i can always read 3v on my multimeter where it should be 3v, so ...
 

zeroel

Member
Newcomer
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
22
Trophies
0
Age
34
Website
jqueery.tumblr.com
XP
81
Country
i have some questions

1 is the battery being consumed when playing nds games and the ez flash is attached?
2 does it save battery life by removing the ez flash when not in use?
 

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Member
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
5,134
Trophies
1
Location
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
2,422
Country
Antarctica
zeroel said:
i have some questions

1 is the battery being consumed when playing nds games and the ez flash is attached? It is always in continuous use.
2 does it save battery life by removing the ez flash when not in use? No

The battery powers your save file that is stored in the SRAM, where you play or not.


Don't necro old posts, it is bad manners unless your the OP in most cases.
 

Satirical

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
98
Trophies
0
Age
29
Location
London
Website
Visit site
XP
94
Country
Searinox said:
ryuujin: I probably am. XD
They should have included a flash chip, not SRAM for saving games. I mean at 32MB permanent memory chip what would have been the cost to throw in another 512KB chip for saves too?

Anyways I replaced the internal CR1220 battery of the cart with a CR1620. It's got double capacity, so I'm hoping it'll last me twice of... whatever it was designed to last. I still can't find clear info on wether it's 2 years or 3-4 like cory said he calculated on the EZV forums.

You must be a magician if you replaced your CR1220 with a CR1620. I'm bumping this thread because the EZFlash 3in1 is still widely considered the best SLOT-2 flashcart solution, but it is shipped with a shitty battery. So, when my battery decided it wanted to be a douche I googled around. After reading this thread I decided to order a couple CR1620 batteries, guess what. THEY DON'T FIT.

It isn't snug, they just DON'T. FIT. I tried EVERYTHING believe me, I'm not an idiot. I cut off bits of the plastic, doesn't work bro. You must be merlin, or you just pre-emptively said you did it.

The only conceivable way it could work is if you cut the top of the plastic of the cart and made a hole that the battery would stick out of, leaving it looking ugly and exposing the electronics inside for dust damage.

Don't use a CR1620, just buy a couple CR1220 and if it craps out then oh well, your saves aren't destroyed because they're saved in the GBA_SAVE folder.
 
D

Deleted-236924

Guest
ccosmos said:
Searinox said:
2 years?! Whoooooa waitaminute. I have my old pokemon red cart it's 10 years old by now, it backs up its savegames on SRAM battery just like an EZflash and it's still got my savegame. You're telling me that an EZflash 3 in 1, made with technology 10+ years more advanced, will only last a fifth of that time?!
smile.gif

You are probably talking about the RTC feature of your original GBA pokemon game. This game has a flash memory and a battery to maintain clock time (RTC).
So, it's not a surprise that flash memory keep better data (here, GBA save) than SRAM one.
happy.gif


And concerning battery life of the ez 3in1, got mine since march 2007 and i can always read 3v on my multimeter where it should be 3v, so ...
Hum... no.

Pokémon Red.
There's no RTC in that.
And it uses SRAM.
 

You may also like...

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dgbcPl6TxI