Hacking EZflash 3-in-1 battery life?

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Does anyone know how long the battery of the EZ 3 in 1 lasts? As you all know the battery backs up SRAM saves, and losing your savegame on a game such as Pokemon can really really hurt after a considerable amount of time. Are there any estimates?

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
2 years?! Whoooooa waitaminute. I have my old pokemon red cart it's 10 years old by now, it backs up its savegames on SRAM battery just like an EZflash and it's still got my savegame. You're telling me that an EZflash 3 in 1, made with technology 10+ years more advanced, will only last a fifth of that time?!

ryuujin2788

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much.

Think about it: you're putting far more pressure on the 3-in-1 than on your Pokemon cart, even if you are as big of a nerdy Pokemon fan as I am.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So backup your saves to your HDD or a flash drive from time to time. And replace the battery @ Radioshack or Walmart for a few dollars. And then move on
smile.gif

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
ryuujin: I probably am. XD
They should have included a flash chip, not SRAM for saving games. I mean at 32MB permanent memory chip what would have been the cost to throw in another 512KB chip for saves too?

Anyways I replaced the internal CR1220 battery of the cart with a CR1620. It's got double capacity, so I'm hoping it'll last me twice of... whatever it was designed to last. I still can't find clear info on wether it's 2 years or 3-4 like cory said he calculated on the EZV forums.

Eternity`

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Searinox said:
They should have included a flash chip, not SRAM for saving games. I mean at 32MB permanent memory chip what would have been the cost to throw in another 512KB chip for saves too?

Anyways I replaced the internal CR1220 battery of the cart with a CR1620. It's got double capacity, so I'm hoping it'll last me twice of... whatever it was designed to last. I still can't find clear info on wether it's 2 years or 3-4 like cory said he calculated on the EZV forums.

my battery is dead also, can u tell me how you replaced it? i opened up my 3 in 1 and it seems i got version one from 2007

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Searinox said:
2 years?! Whoooooa waitaminute. I have my old pokemon red cart it's 10 years old by now, it backs up its savegames on SRAM battery just like an EZflash and it's still got my savegame. You're telling me that an EZflash 3 in 1, made with technology 10+ years more advanced, will only last a fifth of that time?!
smile.gif

You are probably talking about the RTC feature of your original GBA pokemon game. This game has a flash memory and a battery to maintain clock time (RTC).
So, it's not a surprise that flash memory keep better data (here, GBA save) than SRAM one.
happy.gif

And concerning battery life of the ez 3in1, got mine since march 2007 and i can always read 3v on my multimeter where it should be 3v, so ...

zeroel

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
jqueery.tumblr.com
XP
Country
i have some questions

1 is the battery being consumed when playing nds games and the ez flash is attached?
2 does it save battery life by removing the ez flash when not in use?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
zeroel said:
i have some questions

1 is the battery being consumed when playing nds games and the ez flash is attached? It is always in continuous use.
2 does it save battery life by removing the ez flash when not in use? No

The battery powers your save file that is stored in the SRAM, where you play or not.

Don't necro old posts, it is bad manners unless your the OP in most cases.

Satirical

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Searinox said:

You must be a magician if you replaced your CR1220 with a CR1620. I'm bumping this thread because the EZFlash 3in1 is still widely considered the best SLOT-2 flashcart solution, but it is shipped with a shitty battery. So, when my battery decided it wanted to be a douche I googled around. After reading this thread I decided to order a couple CR1620 batteries, guess what. THEY DON'T FIT.

It isn't snug, they just DON'T. FIT. I tried EVERYTHING believe me, I'm not an idiot. I cut off bits of the plastic, doesn't work bro. You must be merlin, or you just pre-emptively said you did it.

The only conceivable way it could work is if you cut the top of the plastic of the cart and made a hole that the battery would stick out of, leaving it looking ugly and exposing the electronics inside for dust damage.

Don't use a CR1620, just buy a couple CR1220 and if it craps out then oh well, your saves aren't destroyed because they're saved in the GBA_SAVE folder.

D

Deleted-236924

ccosmos said:
Searinox said:
smile.gif

You are probably talking about the RTC feature of your original GBA pokemon game. This game has a flash memory and a battery to maintain clock time (RTC).
So, it's not a surprise that flash memory keep better data (here, GBA save) than SRAM one.
happy.gif

And concerning battery life of the ez 3in1, got mine since march 2007 and i can always read 3v on my multimeter where it should be 3v, so ...
Hum... no.

Pokémon Red.
There's no RTC in that.
And it uses SRAM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...