PS Vita Battery Won't Charge Past 81%

The_Dizzy_Vizzy

Well-Hated Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got this PS Vita in Sapphire Blue (it's a Japanese model but I didn't know it at the time) unit from eBay about 3 months ago, sold from Georgia in the United States (I don't have the balls to buy one from Japan). I open up the packaging...and man I mean WOW. Not a scratch, dent or crack in the unit. It is FLAWLESS - or so it seemed. So I stick it on the charger because it's at like 60-something %. So I leave it alone for a while - plently of time for a full charge, and fire up the unit and it's at 81%. So I figured the battery just needs a little exercize, and play a bunch of games and a movie or two, and run the battery down to like 24%. So I stick it back on the charger/craddle, and crash for the evening. The next day, it's at 81% again. Hmmm, so I thought to myself there must be something wrong with the battery. So (I'll make this as short as I can folks), I order a new battery, knowing and dreading the fact that I have to open this beauty up and replace the battery. DAMN. The SP65M battery arrives. I've watched several videos on how to replace battery. Battery won't connect to the motherboard. WTF. Turns out that this unit is Japanese, as opposed to a North American unit. The proper battery for my Japanese unit is the SP65X, and I can tell you that, after having opened this thing up, gutted it and removed the original battery, I now have to find, order and replace this unit's battery with a battery that's only availability ships from CHINA, I'm pissed. I'm not exactly tossing my cookies, but the whole thing BLOWS. Two months later I FINALLY get the battery (actually I got a good deal - 2 SP65X batteries for $21 on Amazon with free shipping (but not Prime).
Now I gotta open this thing up again. And, granted, switching out the battery is "relatively" easy, but I never knew how to open up a Vita, much less WANT TO. But I guess it can be said that, I've had my cherry popped folks, and I am now a member of "The Club". For those of you reading this, you know who you are. Finally, I get the X back into the Sapphire Blue, BUT THE PROBLEM REMAINS. 81% folks, that's as far as my Vita will charge any battery. So it wasn't the battery at all, it's the system itself.

If anyone has any insight to this dilemma, I'd be grateful for a reply.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
So I got this PS Vita in Sapphire Blue (it's a Japanese model but I didn't know it at the time) unit from eBay about 3 months ago, sold from Georgia in the United States (I don't have the balls to buy one from Japan). I open up the packaging...and man I mean WOW. Not a scratch, dent or crack in the unit. It is FLAWLESS - or so it seemed. So I stick it on the charger because it's at like 60-something %. So I leave it alone for a while - plently of time for a full charge, and fire up the unit and it's at 81%. So I figured the battery just needs a little exercize, and play a bunch of games and a movie or two, and run the battery down to like 24%. So I stick it back on the charger/craddle, and crash for the evening. The next day, it's at 81% again. Hmmm, so I thought to myself there must be something wrong with the battery. So (I'll make this as short as I can folks), I order a new battery, knowing and dreading the fact that I have to open this beauty up and replace the battery. DAMN. The SP65M battery arrives. I've watched several videos on how to replace battery. Battery won't connect to the motherboard. WTF. Turns out that this unit is Japanese, as opposed to a North American unit. The proper battery for my Japanese unit is the SP65X, and I can tell you that, after having opened this thing up, gutted it and removed the original battery, I now have to find, order and replace this unit's battery with a battery that's only availability ships from CHINA, I'm pissed. I'm not exactly tossing my cookies, but the whole thing BLOWS. Two months later I FINALLY get the battery (actually I got a good deal - 2 SP65X batteries for $21 on Amazon with free shipping (but not Prime).
Now I gotta open this thing up again. And, granted, switching out the battery is "relatively" easy, but I never knew how to open up a Vita, much less WANT TO. But I guess it can be said that, I've had my cherry popped folks, and I am now a member of "The Club". For those of you reading this, you know who you are. Finally, I get the X back into the Sapphire Blue, BUT THE PROBLEM REMAINS. 81% folks, that's as far as my Vita will charge any battery. So it wasn't the battery at all, it's the system itself.

If anyone has any insight to this dilemma, I'd be grateful for a reply.
You cann try ps vita battery fixer https://github.com/SKGleba/PSP2-batteryFixer
Since it seems to be something on the software side maybe this will help, it's easy to use too

Reactions: The_Dizzy_Vizzy

The_Dizzy_Vizzy

Well-Hated Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cann try ps vita battery fixer https://github.com/SKGleba/PSP2-batteryFixer
Since it seems to be something on the software side maybe this will help, it's easy to use too

Thanks Zekro, I appreciate the nod. Unfortunately it didn't work (tried it on 3 seperate occasions). It's a hardware issue, and I am not ABOUT to tear into that motherboard. A battery is one thing, but tearing out the GUTS of that thing is an entirely different deal. I am content with 80%. I've got a total of 4 PS Vitas (only my first one [the original 3G model is "un-hacked"] and the most I've used any given unit in one day was down to like 24% via gaming and videos. Plus, I've got a portable USB external battery so I'm not concerned about the loss of 20% charge. Thanks again!

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks Zekro, I appreciate the nod. Unfortunately it didn't work (tried it on 3 seperate occasions). It's a hardware issue, and I am not ABOUT to tear into that motherboard. A battery is one thing, but tearing out the GUTS of that thing is an entirely different deal. I am content with 80%. I've got a total of 4 PS Vitas (only my first one [the original 3G model is "un-hacked"] and the most I've used any given unit in one day was down to like 24% via gaming and videos. Plus, I've got a portable USB external battery so I'm not concerned about the loss of 20% charge. Thanks again!
Well that sucks but anyway, who knows where the fault lies, as an exposition unit is still quite nice looking

The_Dizzy_Vizzy

Well-Hated Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that sucks but anyway, who knows where the fault lies, as an exposition unit is still quite nice looking

it's FLAWLESS. Not a scratch, dent or crack in it. It IS a beautiful Vita for sure.
Post automatically merged:

i hate how you can't replace the vita battery's. i just wish it was like the PSP....

Yes, it was daunting having to open that thing up. I was uber-careful with every screw and every connection. Looking back, replacing the battery wasn't so tough, but I agree with you. A removeable battery would have been just DUCKY.

truskj911

Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure if you're still curious about this but...

Sapphire Blue and Cosmic Red JP model Vitas are rather special in the sense that they have a unique motherboard (IRS-002)....
There are a few Reddit posts discussing it... but the gist is their motherboard is actually closer to the slim model.. so it means it gets better battery life (sort of) and doesn't get the same random GPU crashes that normal OLED models get when overclocking... It's a little more technical than that but that's the basic version of it.

As a side effect the battery is handled a little differently, and the plugin you are using to display battery percentage is reading the charge as between 80 and 90% even though it's actually full.

I have the Cosmic Red Vita1000 and I thought I had a busted battery for over a year till I gave in and replaced it (with a switch Lite battery) only to find it would still do the same thing.

There is a modified Battery percent VPK just for our Vitas that will show the correct percentage... however I went back to the standard as other apps like Vitashell or Retroflow will use their own method of reading battery, and would still show it as 80% when its full.. the inconsistency bothered me.. Lastly... sometimes my vita will actually charge up to 90%.... which would cause the modified Shellbat to glitch out and display 0%.... which.. is also a bit offputting to say the least lol.

Technically, the Red and Blue JP models should be the most sought after Vitas for this reason.

The_Dizzy_Vizzy

Well-Hated Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if you're still curious about this but...

Sapphire Blue and Cosmic Red JP model Vitas are rather special in the sense that they have a unique motherboard (IRS-002)....
There are a few Reddit posts discussing it... but the gist is their motherboard is actually closer to the slim model.. so it means it gets better battery life (sort of) and doesn't get the same random GPU crashes that normal OLED models get when overclocking... It's a little more technical than that but that's the basic version of it.

As a side effect the battery is handled a little differently, and the plugin you are using to display battery percentage is reading the charge as between 80 and 90% even though it's actually full.

I have the Cosmic Red Vita1000 and I thought I had a busted battery for over a year till I gave in and replaced it (with a switch Lite battery) only to find it would still do the same thing.

There is a modified Battery percent VPK just for our Vitas that will show the correct percentage... however I went back to the standard as other apps like Vitashell or Retroflow will use their own method of reading battery, and would still show it as 80% when its full.. the inconsistency bothered me.. Lastly... sometimes my vita will actually charge up to 90%.... which would cause the modified Shellbat to glitch out and display 0%.... which.. is also a bit offputting to say the least lol.

Technically, the Red and Blue JP models should be the most sought after Vitas for this reason.

Hello! You mentioned "There is a modified Battery percent VPK just for our Vitas that will show the correct percentage... " Could you please direct me to this VPK? I'd really appreciate it!!!

truskj911

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello! You mentioned "There is a modified Battery percent VPK just for our Vitas that will show the correct percentage... " Could you please direct me to this VPK? I'd really appreciate it!!!
Sure thing, here is the link to the reddit...

they discuss what I was talking about in there too, if you're interested to know more about that blue vita you have.
Like I said though.. I ended up going back to the standard one due to the reasons I mentioned in my above post.

Happy gaming.

EDIT: I've tried editing my post several times now, but It seems the link I'm trying to share is not appearing. Don't know if thats just me or maybe I'm not allowed to share links or something?
anyway.. just google "Correct battery percentage display for Sapphire Blue" and it should be the first reddit link to pop up.

The_Dizzy_Vizzy

Well-Hated Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure thing, here is the link to the reddit...

they discuss what I was talking about in there too, if you're interested to know more about that blue vita you have.
Like I said though.. I ended up going back to the standard one due to the reasons I mentioned in my above post.

Happy gaming.

EDIT: I've tried editing my post several times now, but It seems the link I'm trying to share is not appearing. Don't know if thats just me or maybe I'm not allowed to share links or something?
anyway.. just google "Correct battery percentage display for Sapphire Blue" and it should be the first reddit link to pop up.

Hey Trusk, this is like totally fucking awesome. I really appreciate you sharing this with me as well as just getting back to me on this en masse. And by the way, your link to Reddit showed up just fine.

However, given that you have actually used this plugin before (or whatever), I have one question for you.

On that Reddit page it states "Make sure you have a brick protection (EmergencyMount or something similar)." Do you know what this is? The hack I'm using is the Henlo/HenKaku/Enso hack w/ 3.65 CFW.

If you could clue me in on that, I promise I'll never bother you again! Everthing else seems fine, but that's the first time I've ever even HEARD of that.

Thanks again for getting back to me, I truly appreciate it, and I laud you as a killer member of these forums! You're the man!!!
banana2.gif
banana.gif
bowdown2.gif
cowboy.gif

- Dizzy
2beer_cheer.gif

Last edited by The_Dizzy_Vizzy,

truskj911

Trophies
XP
Country
No sweat, don't mention it!
so, I'm not exactly sure what that means either.... I figured it was just referring to the Vita's ability to disable plugins by booting in safe mode (holding L when turning it on). that way if the plugin causes any drama, you can skip it and then uninstall it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto