Existence of God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Believing in something without any proof is the definition of delusional. The question was not referring to the Judeo/Christian god or any particular god.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magmorph said:
Believing in something without any proof is the definition of delusional. The question was not referring to the Judeo/Christian god or any particular god.
That's true but a lot of religious folk believe they have evidence (usually only for themselves or for family) that God exists. Those events can be interpreted any way someone wants them to. Whether it be undeniable proof or a coincidence.

Well, the three "O's" (which I'm going to refer to it as) is usually a Christian belief.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We cannot prove the existence nor the nonexistence of god, and that is why the debate will rage on forever, all due to some creative writers from ancient times. Every culture has their own interpretation of the "magical story", usually called a bible or koran or torah or whatever. This is a brilliant story created, maybe with or maybe without, the foresight that it would create these sects, which are brutally harsh to their members. Religion clubs are so beyond archaic in rationality, I would rather sit in prison than be a part. From what I can tell, religion groups usually act something like this: "You don't believe, you can't join us!" Well what if I like the people that are a part of the group? What if I want to join this club, participate in kindly acts like you do, but choose not to believe in this all powerful deity? Of course you will not let me join, its "blasphemy". Humans tend to think we are so advanced and smart, yet these people worship documents and stories from thousands of years ago. Go screw.

Are there powers we don't know about? Yes.
Are there forces we probably cannot understand? Yes.
Is there a god? I say no but its just my opinion based on facts.

PS If you want to argue what I've said here, refer to Newton's laws. They are quite old and we still use them, although they kind of were refined.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
People need something to believe in, (God, Devil, Allah, G-d, Whatever else called)

The truth is, all those wars and other killing things etc... isn't something supernatural, it's just human nature and natural balance.
Why is there war, nature disasters, diseases, etc... to prevent overpopulation, earth always finds it's way to try to get things back in balance, it's thing we can't fully understand
but earth has it's ways to keeps itself in balance, this also means population of species.

If it wasn't war that will kill us, it's something else
biggrin.gif
, just live with it
biggrin.gif

I'm cristian, I believe in something higher, but mostly i believe in evolution and a natural balance in the universe

That said:
I don't believe God/Allah/G-d(Jehovah)/ Or Whatever ppl call there god)
- has all the power
- knows everything
- is perfect/morally good

If he did, he would be a dictator.

(PS: My mum was a teacher in Christianity, at the age of 12 i told her, mum, If i look at Jezus and read what he did, i think Jezus is a Hippie (He looks like a hippie) that smoked alot of joints in his days!, my punishment was going the next week everyday to church for 1 week (and she called the priest to check on me)) (good oll' times
biggrin.gif
)

kboxer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I try and view the man/God situation like a parent with say a teenager. How many times do we show or instruct our kids on the way to live their life and how many times do they not listen. It gets to the stage our kids do not listen any more to us and learn from their mistakes. I think thousands of years ago we did communicate with God but like spoilt teenagers we slowly shut him out of our lives. That is how I view the human race and its alledged relationship to God. I believe if God arrived tomorrow noone would believe it people would call it a hoax etc.

J

Jackreyes

To define omnibenevolence, first you must define good and evil, and then beyond that, the greater good, and necessary evils. These all depend on opinion, so the state of God's benevolence is purely opinion also.

God created man in his own image. If man declares war, does that not mean that God would in such circumstances?
Or perhaps of course, our punishment for war is death, our punishment for fighting is injury. It should serve as a dissuasion for those who 'are morally good'.

Omnipotent would suggest that God's will could change anything, which, could, or could not be true, it is impossible to tell as nobody knows what God's will is.

Omniscient? Surely if there is a God, he must be omniscient, the God in the Old Testament killed millions in the flood because he 'knew of their evil' or whatever the reason was.

God's existence has to be doubted though, God is a possible explanation for the creation of the universe, but it is one of many. Other than that, is there any confirmed 'divine intervention'..?

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if god could be proven to exist, you cannot apply attributes to something immaterial such as religions do.

D

Deleted_171835

Where do these attributes come from? Do you just guess this? When they say God told them this, how do they know that he wasn't just egotistical?

Anybody care to explain?

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DjoeN said:
People need something to believe in, (God, Devil, Allah, G-d, Whatever else called)

The truth is, all those wars and other killing things etc... isn't something supernatural, it's just human nature and natural balance.
Why is there war, nature disasters, diseases, etc... to prevent overpopulation, earth always finds it's way to try to get things back in balance, it's thing we can't fully understand
but earth has it's ways to keeps itself in balance, this also means population of species.
It's a little odd that you say that. What does war have to do with the earth balancing itself out? And if it truly were a way for the earth to get rid of overpopulation, then honestly, the earth is not doing a very good job at all. Population (~6.7 billion) is said to double by 2050 (or 2100, I can't remember).

Not to mention war is fought with a lot less soldiers and a lot more firepower these days. You are also applying that a nuclear war is the earth's ultimate defense against overpopulation.

I can see natural disasters having an argument somewhat, but even that would be somewhat of a stretch.

` regret .

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
hatredg0d said:
not trollin. its the truth. god and religion are just things used to explain the previously unexplaneble...

How exactly is saying there is a God that exists trying to explain the previously unexplainable? Are you saying without the knowledge of evolution we would assume there is a god that just created the human race? Then if the previously unexplainable is explained then why are some people not convinced?

Also, if God is omnipotent then why doesn't he make everybody believe him? Is he giving us/them their own opinions? He has the power to control our/there thoughts if he wants so why doesn't he? He obviously wants his presence known, he if didn't and he does exist then him being omnipotent he would have the power to stop the spread of knowledge/assumptions of a god. Or he might just want use to figure it out ourselves meaning he isn't omnibenevolent because he isn't giving us the knowledge we strongly desire or need to make future choices in our life.

@above, Its safe to say that guy is didn't take his pills. He's trying to prove God's existence 'cause of the shape of a fucking banana?

fermio100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It all comes to the free will.

God coud stop the wars, deceases and other misfortunes human race suffers, but it wouldn't make sense.

1- God gave us free will, we do what we want, the way we want and when we want, but we'll have to suffer the consequences (hell)
2- If you reppent from your heart and accept god you will be saved, no matter what, but you have to be honest and accept God.
3- God could stop war, but God won't because it would be against free will, God doesn't MAKE you do things you don't, devil does.
4- For you to enter heaven you have to have been a good person, or you have to have reppented from all you sins, therefore we could infere that God IS omniscient, because only being omniscient would be possible to tell the truth about us.

It's a matter of logic based on what you pointed, I'm not sure if I believe in god or not.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lastRegret said:
Then if the previously unexplainable is explained then why are some people not convinced?
People who were raised religious are not going to accept that they will not live forever in heaven. They put more trust in what their parents teach them or what their friends tell them than what the evidence is telling them. People are just so scared to die they would believe anything telling them they will live forever.

@ fermio100: Why is God more moral or good than the devil?

D

Deleted_171835

Ever Lasting life in heaven? I find immortality weird. Would I really like to live forever? The same boring life again and again. The after-life is unexplained and most religions that talk about the after-life confuse me more.

Not that it really matters anyways. I'll find out anyways when I die.

` regret .

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Magmorph said:
lastRegret said:
Then if the previously unexplainable is explained then why are some people not convinced?
People who were raised religious are not going to accept that they will not live forever in heaven. They put more trust in what their parents teach them or what their friends tell them than what the evidence is telling them. People are just so scared to die they would believe anything telling them they will live forever.

But they aren't leading the same lives, they sort of start live over in a "better" area, at the same age. They lose everybody close too them. So they can't say there living forever until they've died, and reborned or whatever they do to get into heaven.

Also, what about Heaven's population people argue that God is Omnibenevolent but he is letting us choose for ourselves lives to lead, and they also argue he isn't stopping self-chosen wars that have started because he doesn't want an over-population, well how about Heaven, if God truthfully exists and as he is known to exist and he is Omnibenevolent then he wants what is best for humans, which is Heaven. And God is also Omnipotent meaning he has the right to choose who comes to Heaven and who doesn't but since he wants the best for us what can he do? Also if he does happen to not send everybody to heaven and let them suffer then what about when the select people that do get into heaven. The population will grow and grow, will Heaven grow to fit the population? Its supposed to be the most peaceful place so dieing won't do any good as it isn't what is most wanted be God. How will they resolve the population problems? Sending the not-as-good-as-others people to hell or back down to earth? Then that's not being Omnibenevolent

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magmorph said:
lastRegret said:
ie, go back to my very first post. Did you read it lastRegret?

@Revolutionize: You don't come back to earth over and over again. You become God's servant in heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-