Status
Not open for further replies.

tsuna

GBAtemp Official "No Good Tsuna"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow this topic is SUPER deep...its like our science class..wait nvm. our science class evolution debate was 2 vs 27. 27 believed in evolution

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hamtotem said:
If you look at everything around us its difficult to say that it all happened by chance alone. There has to be some uncaused cause that resulted in everything.
If this is your argument, why can't the universe be an uncaused cause?

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Magmorph said:
hamtotem said:
If you look at everything around us its difficult to say that it all happened by chance alone. There has to be some uncaused cause that resulted in everything.
If this is your argument, why can't the universe be an uncaused cause?
There is a reason that I say the uncaused cause is God. Let me explain. If something right now occurs or begins to exist, something must have caused that something to exist. For example, if a leaf blows in the wind, the wind is the cause of the result. Correct? At some point, the universe did not exist. If the universe is the uncaused cause, then the theory is invalid. God however, is not bound by time. He has and always will exist.

I'm a teenager and my knowledge is still very limited. At some point I know you'll get me, because as I have said, I consider myself a struggling Catholic. I'm not claiming I know the answer to everything. I'm simply explaining the logic behind these arguments with the best of my knowledge.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are destroying your own argument. By that logic something must have caused God to exist.

While it is true our universe didn't exist at one point, the energy that caused it to exist could have always existed.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sometimes you don't need to attack a bad idea to destroy it, you merely need to make the idea not work.

We have wars and famine and pestilence, and we ask, why, why doesn't god do something?

Ok ask yourself this.

If no one died in wars, ever, because there simply was no war.
If famine didn't exist, because the world was uniformly nice and green and crop friendly and there simply was NO famine at all.
If you simply never got sick, at all, not even a little bit because there just were not diseases.

Think about it, where are you planning to put all of those people that will succeed in growing up, and having yet more people that will not have any problem growing up, and having yet more people?
You see the problem?

The problem is people want answers, and god is a convenient answer for people that simply have decided the real answer is too horrible.

War is not a bad thing, it is not a good thing, it is just a thing. It's part of life. And we humans are not alone. Ant colonies war on each other too.
Famine, it's just life's way of saying 'you were not meant to live there, move or die'.
Disease, that is just life saying sorry you are not healthy enough. Or sorry you were not lucky enough.

God does not permit all of those nasty things, because god never made those nasty things to begin with.

God is not all knowing, how could he be all knowing? If you have this magical free will, then he can't know what your decision will be till you make it. If God already knows your choice, then you simply never had a choice to make, it was already predecided.

Logic, it is a very power tool, but sadly it is also a bright light which you can shine on a bad idea.

There is no god, not the one in the Christian Bible at least.

Now for a small consulting fee, I'll teach you how Black Holes may reveal the needed physics to understand the forces present during the Big Bang event (which you can still witness if you know where to look).

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, that's it, Guild enters the fray.

Religious debates are not about religion. Yup, I said it. It's about people trying to gratify themselves. You think that saying "blah blah blah there is a god" or "blah blah blah there is no god" will actually convince one side or the other? I've been in the middle of many a religious debate and I've finally given up. I have not seen one person on either side switch sides. It's a state of mind. Asking someone to see your point if the opposition is the die-hard opposition, you may as well ask a black man to stop being black or a white man to grow a large penis. It's not gonna happen, people.

So, people use these debates to tote how savvy they are. They'll give some big list of supporting reason with Thesaurus.com open in the other tab and make it all fancy-schmancy only so they can be praised by their comrades and championed as a big, booming voice of your debate. On top of that, the whole debate is simply a giant oil spill in a forest. One flame and the entire forest goes up in flames. That's why I try my best to stop these dumb little debates of mundane issues. The only way for one side to win this debate is to literally have the other side die in genocide. That may sound a little harsh and severe, but this is what always happens in a fight over religion. It's more than a way of thinking, it's a part of existence. In debates like this, you're not trying to erase the whiteboard of all the marker, you're trying to erase the whiteboard of all the white.

Does anyone care if there is a God? None of this would change anything. Pushing your non-religious beliefs onto someone else makes you just as bad as the other religion, and visa versa. The fact is what I believe personally is personal. It's not something that I'll push on someone else.

And for all we know there could be a god. It sounds insane, to believe that some giant power is ruling everything, but look at us now. Did our ancients think cities could be eliminated with nothing but a single bomb? Did our ancients think we could be flying through the air? Do you think our ancients would think we could communicate with someone from across the entire planet instantly? No, of course not.

So we don't need these topics at all. It's absolutely pointless.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FEFL said:
You guys are both joking right? This man is mocking God, not stating he exists because of bananas. The guy to the right of him is laughing. Plus, he said bananas are perfectly proportioned to our mouths...anything we are able to chew on is perfectly proportioned to our mouths, if this wasn't true we wouldn't be able to eat it!
This guy's for real. I've heard it before. I never said I believe what he says but I understand why he says it.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason to debate anything is to push your beliefs on someone else. Your opinion is that it is pointless to debate about the existence of god. Are you not pushing that belief on someone else?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magmorph said:
The only reason to debate anything is to push your beliefs on someone else. Your opinion is that it is pointless to debate about the existence of god. Are you not pushing that belief on someone else?

There's a big difference here. You're pushing your beliefs on religion. I'm pushing my beliefs on the debate as an object. The world can't function without the pushing of beliefs. It's how the world is run. The difference is on what belief you're pushing on. Pushing your religious beliefs on someone is something that simply is no good and a dead end.

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:

Religious debates are not about religion. Yup, I said it. It's about people trying to gratify themselves. You think that saying "blah blah blah there is a god" or "blah blah blah there is no god" will actually convince one side or the other? I've been in the middle of many a religious debate and I've finally given up. I have not seen one person on either side switch sides. It's a state of mind. Asking someone to see your point if the opposition is the die-hard opposition, you may as well ask a black man to stop being black or a white man to grow a large penis. It's not gonna happen, people.

So, people use these debates to tote how savvy they are. They'll give some big list of supporting reason with Thesaurus.com open in the other tab and make it all fancy-schmancy only so they can be praised by their comrades and championed as a big, booming voice of your debate. On top of that, the whole debate is simply a giant oil spill in a forest. One flame and the entire forest goes up in flames. That's why I try my best to stop these dumb little debates of mundane issues. The only way for one side to win this debate is to literally have the other side die in genocide. That may sound a little harsh and severe, but this is what always happens in a fight over religion. It's more than a way of thinking, it's a part of existence. In debates like this, you're not trying to erase the whiteboard of all the marker, you're trying to erase the whiteboard of all the white.

Does anyone care if there is a God? None of this would change anything. Pushing your non-religious beliefs onto someone else makes you just as bad as the other religion, and visa versa. The fact is what I believe personally is personal. It's not something that I'll push on someone else.
I find this to be completely true. Any time I've gotten into a religion vs atheist (or any white vs black one such as political party vs opposing party) argument it's always ended up with both sides believing the same thing they did beforehand. Despite this though, people will always feel the need to try to get others to see it the way they do.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:

And for all we know there could be a god. It sounds insane, to believe that some giant power is ruling everything, but look at us now. Did our ancients think cities could be eliminated with nothing but a single bomb? Did our ancients think we could be flying through the air? Do you think our ancients would think we could communicate with someone from across the entire planet instantly? No, of course not.

So we don't need these topics at all. It's absolutely pointless.I agree with you. In the first couple of pages nobody really wanted this topic, yet somehow it grew very fast. The fastest I've ever seen a topic grow since I've been here (besides the news sections).

Like you and I said, it's impossible to prove either side, so these arguments are pointless. Any ideological argument/arguer is pointless, because anyone with a certain ideology cannot be swayed a different way because of their ideology.

Pragmatic arguments are different, but some are still pointless.

Theists vs. Atheists seems to be like Democrats vs. Republicans. Everything is so based off of personal opinion it's nearly impossible to move forward in the debate. Both sides are also too stubborn to listen to one another. They also sometimes feel the other is too stupid to understand anything else. It would probably be better for the forums if this topic was closed...

hamtotem said:
QUOTE(FEFL @ Dec 22 2009, 10:17 AM) You guys are both joking right? This man is mocking God, not stating he exists because of bananas. The guy to the right of him is laughing. Plus, he said bananas are perfectly proportioned to our mouths...anything we are able to chew on is perfectly proportioned to our mouths, if this wasn't true we wouldn't be able to eat it!
This guy's for real. I've heard it before. I never said I believe what he says but I understand why he says it.
Ah, sorry. He's extremely good at sounding so ridiculous it sounds like he's mocking something.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FEFL said:
hamtotem said:
FEFL said:
You guys are both joking right? This man is mocking God, not stating he exists because of bananas. The guy to the right of him is laughing. Plus, he said bananas are perfectly proportioned to our mouths...anything we are able to chew on is perfectly proportioned to our mouths, if this wasn't true we wouldn't be able to eat it!
Ah, sorry. He's extremely good at sounding so ridiculous it sounds like he's mocking something.
He's talking about a theory called creative design. I think he's wrong, but the theory behind it is an old theory.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Magmorph said:

There's a big difference here. You're pushing your beliefs on religion. I'm pushing my beliefs on the debate as an object. The world can't function without the pushing of beliefs. It's how the world is run. The difference is on what belief you're pushing on. Pushing your religious beliefs on someone is something that simply is no good and a dead end.
What exactly is the difference? Pushing religious beliefs is obviously not a dead end. People are converted all of the time. It all depends on how strongly the person you are arguing with believes in something. Sure, some people are going to be stubborn and emotionally attached to their beliefs but that is to be expected with any debate.

anaxs

got milk, got candy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
in my religion there is proof of gods existance
now im not saying that those who dont belive in god and those who think god doesnt exist are wrong, im just telling you what i believe

` regret .

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:

tongue.gif
. I've actually went from die-hard supporter of God to extremely questioning his existence. I've almost been completely convinced there is no God by threads like this, but I have to side with you I just wanted to see reasons that contradict me and other's opinions.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lastRegret said:
Guild McCommunist said:

tongue.gif
. I've actually went from die-hard supporter of God to extremely questioning his existence. I've almost been completely convinced there is no God by threads like this, but I have to side with you I just wanted to see reasons that contradict me and other's opinions.
I was in the same position as you but then my online friend showed me about Islam. Now I am a pretty firm believer in God.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
LOLZ we're all gonna die in 2012 anyway!

just kidding, i just thought someone had to say it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As others have said we have done this before and I have films to watch so no essays today, instead a quote from the great seer Mr Mercury:
"I don't believe in Peter Pan, Frankenstein or Superman".

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
I personally believe there is a higher being and a lower being, either God and Satan or some others. I don't go to church and practice my religion but when it feels appropriate I will do a little prayer or worship. A lot of people don't believe this coming from a kid that rocks out to Satanic Black Metal all the time but its true
tongue.gif

yuki019

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You see war is caused by animal instinct. Every animal fights for what he needs.
God gave us free will because He wants us to love him from our hearts. He doesn't want to force us to love Him. Which would you prefer, someone who loves you just because(unconditional love) or because he is forced to love you. Second, He let's us do what we want because remember He is just. If you do good, you are rewarded. If you do bad, you will be punished. Just like the local police.
tongue.gif

Just my opinion..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol