Evercade handheld gets RetroArch support via new EverSD patch

evercade.PNG

The cartridge-based Evercade handheld's library just expanded thanks to RetroArch support. This is possible by means of the third-party EverSD homebrew and development kit. However, the homebrew development cart couldn't be read with the recent 1.3.1 Evercade firmware update but a new patch has been released to address this issue as well as bring RetroArch support.

How this new patch works is by first dumping the kernel and rootfs from the device and then it patches those. Subsequently the kernel and rootfs are flashed back.

@KiiWii made a handy guide to help you patch your Evercade on FW 1.3.1 and get RetroArch working on it. You can also join the ongoing discussion over there should you have any queries.

:discuss: EverSD for Evercade Firmware 1.3.1 and Retroarch Support Guide

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't Retroarch too demanding for something so weak hardware wise?
Retroarch itself shouldn't be a problem, it depends on each core though. Essentially Retroarch is just a UI that can directly load games via emulator cores, so NES, SNES, GBA, Genesis cores likely shouldn't be a problem for the likes of Evercade, it's once you start touching the likes of the N64 and PS1 cores that you would likely start to run into compatability issues.

Reactions: E1ite007 and KiiWii

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
now I do want one evercade!

Edit: I dont think it is powerful like those millions of GBA-like devices that come out every week, what I mean is that I like the some cartridges that they release, and the added benefit of emulation adds lots of value.

Last edited by Deleted member 194275,
Reactions: KiiWii

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does this compare to the rg351p or rk2020?

These both use a quad core Cortex-A35. The Evercade uses a single core Cortex-A7. The RK2020 is around half the price and is a considerably more powerful system. The only real draw of the Evercade was the fact that you were buying legal game carts. If you're going to use retroarch, just get one of those clone consoles. They're more powerful, can play more systems, and are generally cheaper.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
These both use a quad core Cortex-A35. The Evercade uses a single core Cortex-A7. The RK2020 is around half the price and is a considerably more powerful system. The only real draw of the Evercade was the fact that you were buying legal game carts. If you're going to use retroarch, just get one of those clone consoles. They're more powerful, can play more systems, and are generally cheaper.

So which one would you say it is comparable to? Is it more like the AllWinner F1C100S based PGv1 or Powkiddy v90 just with better GBA emulation? I have a v90, pocketgov2 (basically a rg350 that can't use the beta cfw yet), and a rg351p.

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So which one would you say it is comparable to? Is it more like the AllWinner F1C100S based PGv1 or Powkiddy v90 just with better GBA emulation? I have a v90, pocketgov2 (basically a rg350 that can't use the beta cfw yet), and a rg351p.

It's difficult to gage exactly how powerful the Evercade is because I can't find any specs on the GPU used in it's SoC. CPU wise, it's a lot faster than the F1C100S consoles. In theory, yes, it should play GBA games reasonably well (possibly not perfect), but I'm not sure what the overhead is for retroarch gba emulation. Retroarch is able to offload at least some tasks to a second core, and multithreaded rendering is a feature that helps push a lot of console over the edge to play at a locked 60fps. The Evercade won't be able to support that.
If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say the CPU is also faster than the PocketGo V2. It likely won't perform as well, though, because those JZ47x0 devices have emulators that are specifically optimized for them. The Go V2 shouldn't be able to run 32X games at full speed, yet so long as you're running the optimized build of picodrive, it does.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...multithreaded rendering is a feature that helps push a lot of console over the edge to play at a locked 60fps. The Evercade won't be able to support that.
If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say the CPU is also faster than the PocketGo V2.

The Evercade has a 1.2GHz 4-Core Cortex A7 which fully supports the NEON features of libretro armv7-neon-hf cores.
Enabling multi-thread video in retroarch on the evercade makes a very visible difference in emulation speed.

Sega 32x games play at a solid 60fps on my evercade. If there is a particular system/game I can test to give a better idea of the performance ceiling on this device with retroarch just let me know.

Also in the guide thread linked in the 1st post I have added info about getting the stock UI to load games in to the EverSD version of retroarch to give more of an "OEM" experience to EverSD users, including retroarch multi-disc playlists (.m3u) and rom formats not recognized by the stock UI normally.

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Evercade has a 1.2GHz 4-Core Cortex A7 which fully supports the NEON features of libretro armv7-neon-hf cores.
Enabling multi-thread video in retroarch on the evercade makes a very visible difference in emulation speed.

Sega 32x games play at a solid 60fps on my evercade. If there is a particular system/game I can test to give a better idea of the performance ceiling on this device with retroarch just let me know.

Also in the guide thread linked in the 1st post I have added info about getting the stock UI to load games in to the EverSD version of retroarch to give more of an "OEM" experience to EverSD users, including retroarch multi-disc playlists (.m3u) and rom formats not recognized by the stock UI normally.

You are correct. When I looked it up for my responses, all I could ever find was 1.2 Cortex A7. It's an RK3128, so it's quad core with a Mali400 MP2. With those specs, I would expect it to play PS1 games, at least the less demanding ones. Multithreading goes a long way with certain machines.

MiCv2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am enthusiastic about Evercade and EverSD, only when I start RetroArch does my HDMI not work. Why? But someone on Youtube also has HDMI output with RetroArch. How did he set up this RetroArch GUI that makes it easier to use? Regards

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish that more modern low-demanding indie games would natively come to the Evercade. I'm sure it could probably handle the likes of Sonic Mania or Shovel Knight, you know?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/PRMX5mX-hvs?si=JdjNrndYJ7PelC7q