Hacking Error Code: 160-0103 Strange Circumstances

RetroWyZe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,

I did some searching and found that this error code essentially spells death for the console, but I thought due the unique circumstances surrounding the brick at the very least posting could help others avoid my outcome.
On 5.5.3 U Wind Waker Wii U, I purchased a legit copy of Brain Age from the eShop and began the hacking guide, following each step carefully, backing up my NAND, and ending up with Coldboot Haxchi successfully on the system. I then installed an injected VC DS game using Injectiine to the USB storage (as I read avoiding tampering with NAND was safest). I used a 500GB HDD with Y-Cable for sufficient power, and the game ran and played perfectly. I then used Wii U USB Helper and successfully installed a retail game over Wii U USB Transfer Tool. Everything worked as it should.

I then installed each of the the unmodified DS VC games onto the system using the same method, as well as "Devil's Third". Each game transferred successfully, except for "Yoshi's Island DS" for some reason. Regardless, I hit the home button to return to HBC, but the Wii U went black screen and crashed. I turned the system on, Saw the Nintendo Logo, Wii U Logo, and then the error code. I disconnected the hard drive and SD card and tried again, but no go. I also attempted to press the home button while I launch, but could not reach the CBCH menu. I heard that this error code usually happens when something is written to the NAND, but I took precaution to avoid doing so. I assume it's safe to say the console is toast, but I have no idea what I did wrong.

I'm more than likely going to simply buy a replacement console, as I don't have the skill to micro-solder (I have just basic soldering skills), and don't know any people willing to do the hard mod. Are there any other options with all this in mind? Is Nintendo guaranteed to refuse and ship it back once they receive the system? Was this purely random or have there been any similar reports? (I was told it could have been due to a first-gen console. How would I know when shopping for a replacement?)

Thanks for reading.

edizius2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Are you sure sure you bought brain age, and not yoshi for CBHC?

I had a simmilar problem as I boght Yoshi and installed brain Training as an entrypoint from Homescreen to HBL (so a non-legid game overwritten with haxchi).
After a certain of time I thought that I have boght brain Training and CBHC ist installed on that title. So after an console Update i wanted to reinstall CBHC in my legid VC but used the non-legid with the same result as you describe

RetroWyZe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you sure sure you bought brain age, and not yoshi for CBHC?

I had a simmilar problem as I boght Yoshi and installed brain Training as an entrypoint from Homescreen to HBL (so a non-legid game overwritten with haxchi).
After a certain of time I thought that I have boght brain Training and CBHC ist installed on that title. So after an console Update i wanted to reinstall CBHC in my legid VC but used the non-legid with the same result as you describe
I 100% bought Brain-Age due to it's low cost, but what you said made me think of something. One of the titles I attempted to install without realizing it was Brain-Age, since I just selected every DS VC game to be installed without thinking. Even though I installed it to USB, would the system have been confused at the duplicate title? (The legit Brain-Age used for Haxchi, and now a non-legit copy of Brain-Age). Does anyone have a single DS game as a CBCH entry point, as well as a playable separate version at the same time?

edizius2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think this is the problem. In same partition I know for sure that it is not possible to Install a haxchi hacked game with the same title unmodified, because I think the Title-ID keeps the same. And I belive further that it is not possible to Install the same title to internal and external storage. So ist would only make sence that it is also not possible to Install the haxchi hack to internal storage while the same title is on the USB drive and visa-versa.
For normal haxchi (Not cbhc) installing the legid version over the hack simply removes haxchi. If the Wii bricks if it was a CBHC title I do not know, but it would make sense, as the CBHC part can not be found anymore (or would this only lead to autoboot of the unmodified VC title?)

Litle_Bird

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I 100% bought Brain-Age due to it's low cost, but what you said made me think of something. One of the titles I attempted to install without realizing it was Brain-Age, since I just selected every DS VC game to be installed without thinking. Even though I installed it to USB, would the system have been confused at the duplicate title? (The legit Brain-Age used for Haxchi, and now a non-legit copy of Brain-Age). Does anyone have a single DS game as a CBCH entry point, as well as a playable separate version at the same time?

If I'm not mistaken, installing the unlegit title to the usb, replaces the legit ticket for Brain age. So even when you unplug the usb, the fake-ticket for brain age is left and your cbhc title won't start thus your error code.

As for having both a haxchi version and a normal game, could work with installing another out of region game (As they shouldn't use the same ticket). But really you should stay on the safe side and not mess with it, atleast that's my opinion

Reactions: RetroWyZe

edizius2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ah, OK, so If he would have overwritten the title with the legid install, it would only autostart the VC game, but as he has installed the non-legid version the wii is bricked?

Litle_Bird

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Kinda. Frist the ticket is the license for a game (each game and dlc all need a license file, 1 ticket per game/dlc). When you buy a game from the eshop, a ticket is generated by the eshop which is tied to both your console and the eshop account. That means I can't buy an eshop game, dump the files and ticket and give it to you, your Wii U would refuse to run the game as it is not a valid ticket. And that is what CFW does, it removes the signature checking, i.e. the requirement of the ticket. But (as I've understod it) a ticket is always needed even when in CFW, however it doesn't need to be valid aka legit.

So when installing a title that is non-legit you have an invalid ticket being installed, overwriting any previous ticket. And voila without any CFW running the wii u will refuse to run the title.

To answer your question, yes if he overwrote the ticket with the legit one it should work again. But only the eshop can generate it, and without dumping it is impossible aquire it. Also he can't re-add it now as he is bricked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...