Homebrew Elf/Dol Forwarder for Custom Channels

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
friknfrak said:
Your readme's are mixed... EG the tools package readme reffers to "emulators" instead of "tools".I think that`s just a little mistake
wink.gif
But the tools-forwarder works exactly like the emu-forwarder, so it shouldn`t bother anyone in trying to get the channels to work and that`s the main focus of READMEs
tongue.gif

friknfrak said:
And the inlcuded conf file for the tools package only has "homebrew browser" entry. If I'm understanding your config files structure correctly, shouldn't it have a path entry for all 4 apps?No, You can configure one favourite application, that will be selected, if you don`t hold any of the buttons (just by pressing start). All the others will be detected automatically, if you downloaded them through the homebrewbrowser
wink.gif
and will be selected through holding of the shown button (wadmanager would be holding down).

QUOTE(friknfrak @ Dec 30 2008, 11:42 AM)
Also, care to share how you were able to create this forwarder? I'm now interested in building my own custom one supporting 4-8 apps.
He already stated some pages ago, that he is working on a Forwarder, in which you`ll be able to configure the apps you prefer for each button
wink.gif

friknfrak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so whats the app (dol/elf) being used in these channels? And is the source available? I'm willing to dive in and do config/compile this myself
smile.gif

wilsoff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SpaceJump said:
wilsoff, I made the UAE4Wii Forwarder. Can you test it and report back: Download.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thanks for this!

I tested it and it seemed to install fine, but when I went to run it I got a screen something like (tired it twice):

GRP00 00000E00 ...
GRP01 ...
CODE DUMP:
8124e172c: ...

However, I get the same type of message for the Homebrew Browser forwarder, so it could be just me / my Wii.

The Genesis / SNES / Wad Manager forwarders work fine on mine though.

Any thoughts?

If you get chance could you change the hover text to UAE4Wii instead of UAE4Wii Forwarder please?

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just tested the Homebrew Browser Forwarder again and it's working perfectly for me. I have no clue why it wouldn't work for you. Have you tried loading the HBB with the Tools Forwarder?

Does UAE4Wii work for you from the Homebrew Channel? I downloaded it from HBB and when I load in from HBC it just returns to HBC, obviously causing a code dump when loaded from a channel.

wilsoff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SpaceJump said:
Have you tried loading the HBB with the Tools Forwarder?
Just tried that now and it works fine.

QUOTE said:
Does UAE4Wii work for you from the Homebrew Channel?
Yup works fine.

I downloaded it from HBB and when I load in from HBC it just returns to HBC, obviously causing a code dump when loaded from a channel.
UAE4Wii needs kick.rom (image of an Amiga chip) to work. It needs to be in sd:\UAE4Wii\ . I have sent you a link to this.

I did previously upgrade to 3.4U and then downgraded to 3.2U using the following guide:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ec4381f...2db6fb9a8902bda
Could that have caused any troubles?

The only bits I didn't do were:
  • +Run cIOS Installer in Homebrew Channel.[*]+Load "Install Shop IOS51". Say Yes to installing IOS51 and Yes to patching a fix but No to the Wii Shop Channel.

So out of the forwarders I've tried, I've got the following results:
Working: Wad Manager, Geexbox, SNES, Genesis, Tools
Not Working: HBB (with and without sound), Amiga
Is there any pattern there on how the wads were made perhaps?

Thanks for your efforts on this.

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Forwarders are all made the same way, however there are some apps that doesn't seem to "like" it when they are loaded from a channel. It looks like UAE4Wii is one of those, cause it runs from HBC, but code dumps from channel. We'll have to wait for an update to the emu just like with snes9x.

Anyway, I will be in hospital from tomorrow for aprox. 1 month, so there won't be any updates.

After that I plan to release the source code for the specific Forwarder and the completion of the Multi Forwarder, which lets you configure eight buttons on the Wiimote.

wilsoff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for you help. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

I managed to get the HBB forwarder working by trying a different SD card.

Unfortunately this didn't fix the UAE4Wii issue. Since UAE4Wii needs sd:\UAE4Wii\kick.rom to load could this be what's upsetting it? If so, is there any way to modify the code to let the dol access this file?

Also, is there any way to have a "clean" exit when you select "return to loader" from various apps. Currently it codes dumps, I assume this is becuase it didn't come from a loader.

Get well soon!

wilsoff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been thinking... are there other sizes we can use for the channel icon? I extracted a couple from VC games below:

LogoN64.tpl extracted from Mario64 VC Wad:

LogoTG.tpl extracted from Turbo Grafx R-Type VC Wad (This one has an alpha channel):

The files saved as PNGs

The sizes of these are:
Type - Width x Height
Original - 112 x 32
Mario64 - 72 x 64
Rtype - 56 x 72

Note these are all divisible by 8 - could this be the key to which sizes work and which sizes will cause a Banner Brick?

I'm willing to give it a go as I should be able to sort out a banner brick through TP Hack and WAD Manager, but before I do I wondered if anyone had any experience of this?

EDIT: I got bored and decided to give this a go. Unfortunately, when I installed the wad it just had the normal 112 x 32 icon, even though I gave it a 112 x 72 image. Does u8icon, u8pack, or wadpacker have any error checking that would have changed this back to 112 x 32? Or can anyone suggest what might be setting the image to 112 x 32?

Warren_303

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow this thread has quite the adventure. Bricking Wii's creating kick ass channels and more hehe.

So anyway I'm trying to make a Doom channel with your dol forwarder and it cant find the config file in the root.
I used the dol forwarder dol, banner, icon and so on.
The channel loads and states..

Config file not found!
Press A to restart the Wii

Here is the config file
# Elf/Dol Forwarder configuration file
# This file needs to be in the root of your SD card!
# Path to elf/dol file:
/apps/WiiDoom/boot.dol

Do you guys know what the deal is? Do I need to edit the dol or something?

Edit: well I guess Space Jump is in the Hospital so hopefully someone else knows what the deal is.

I found SpaceJump's WikiTemp regarding this Elf/Dol Forwarder. It seems that there is a .dol for a good majority of homebrew including Quake so I suppose a .dol needs to be modified in order to create a Doom Channel. So is that what I need to do?

wilsoff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warren_303 said:
So anyway I'm trying to make a Doom channel with your dol forwarder and it cant find the config file in the root.

Config file not found!

Here is the config file
# Path to elf/dol file:
/apps/WiiDoom/boot.dol

There's no need to edit the dol to use the forwarder.
* You just have to make sure "elf_dol_forwarder.conf" is in the root of your SD card. What you have looks right.
* You have to make sure that boot.dol exists in /apps/WiiDoom on your SD card.

I have the forwarder working with WiiEarth, however when I try this with WiiDoom I get a code dump. SpaceJump said some .dols just don't like being forwarded to. WiiDoom uses other files on the SD card, so that might be causing the trouble. Let us know if you have any luck.

QUOTEEdit: well I guess Space Jump is in the Hospital so hopefully someone else knows what the deal is.

I found SpaceJump's WikiTemp regarding this Elf/Dol Forwarder. It seems that there is a .dol for a good majority of homebrew including Quake so I suppose a .dol needs to be modified in order to create a Doom Channel. So is that what I need to do?
I have created a wad from the dol, and have installed this as a channel and it works on my Wii (standard banner sizes!). No guarantees of any sort if you decide to give this a go. You will still need the files on your SD card in sd:\prboom\ though (should be there already when you obtained WiiDoom). -->> WiiDoom-DOOM.wad

Here's the banner set if anyone can get the forwarder working:

Warren_303

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wilsoff said:
Warren_303 said:

Config file not found!

Here is the config file
# Path to elf/dol file:
/apps/WiiDoom/boot.dol

There's no need to edit the dol to use the forwarded.
* You just have to make sure "elf_dol_forwarder.conf" is in the root of your SD card. What you have looks right.
* You have to make sure that boot.dol exists in /apps/WiiDoom on your SD card.

I have the forwarder working with WiiEarth, however when I try this with WiiDoom I get a code dump. SpaceJump said some .dols just don't like being forwarded to. WiiDoom uses other files on the SD card, so that might be causing the trouble. Let us know if you have any luck.

QUOTEEdit: well I guess Space Jump is in the Hospital so hopefully someone else knows what the deal is.

I have created a wad from the dol, and have installed this as a channel and it works on my Wii (standard banner sizes!). No guarantees of any sort if you decide to give this a go. You will still need the files on your SD card in sd:\prboom\ though (should be there already when you obtained WiiDoom). -->> WiiDoom-DOOM.wad

Here's the banner set if anyone can get the forwarder working:

Awesome, I'm glad you were able to test this out as well. That is weird that it worked for you, I just used the latest WADder cuz I have no injecting experience.

I will try this wad out once my girl is done with her show (shit commercials I'll give it a go hehe).

BRB

Warren_303

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
slaphappygamer said:
the only thing wrong with wiidoom is that the cursor gets stuck sometimes. other than that its a great port.

I definitely agree slaphappygamer, and that is why I want a channel out of it.... because it's fuckin awesome haha.

Anyway wiisoff I tried it out and it just code dumps like it did the first time I made a Doom channel with the Doom 4.1 dol.

So you just added the Doom dol to the channel I assume?

The second time I used the dol forwarder dol and had the config file in the root of the SD. I have my PRBOOM folder with Doom wads there in the root also.

The images are awesome btw

Edit: one other thing, I checked out my config file and the extension is .txt, I'm no coder so I'm not sure it that is right or not.
I suppose this could be just one of those homebrew programs that doesn't like forwarder (or just because of other needed folders. :sigh: although you said it worked on your wii so I don't know what the deal is, unless you meant that the channel shows up which it does of course.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding your previous post wiisoff I found this text for the specific sizes otherwise I'm not sure if any other will end up in a semi-brick when using auto injectuwad.

Banner Specs/Requirements:

banner = 590 x 332
300 dpi horizontal,vertical
bit depth 24

icon = 128 x 96
96 dpi horizontal,vertical
bit depth 24

logo = 112 x 32
100 dpi horizontal,vertical
bit depth 24

wilsoff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warren_303 said:
Anyway wilsoff I tried it out and it just code dumps like it did the first time I made a Doom channel with the Doom 4.1 dol.
When you say you tried it, did you try the wad that I created?

QUOTE said:
Yup, using WADDER 1.0

QUOTE said:
Edit: one other thing, I checked out my config file and the extension is .txt, I'm no coder so I'm not sure it that is right or not.
The config file must be called "elf_dol_forwarder.conf" since the forwarder looks for it by that name.

I suppose this could be just one of those homebrew programs that doesn't like forwarder (or just because of other needed folders. :sigh: although you said it worked on your wii so I don't know what the deal is.
Just to clarify... the forwarder doesn't work for WiiDoom for me, it works for WiiEarth though.
The wad I made definitely works for me though. I made it with WiiDoom from Homebrew Browser which is the shareware version, are you using the full version?

Interestingly I've had a few code dumps with verious apps and using a different freshly formatted SD card has sometimes helped. Give it a go if you have another one handy. A good quality branded 1gb sd card seems to be the best.

Warren_303

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wilsoff said:
Warren_303 said:
Anyway wilsoff I tried it out and it just code dumps like it did the first time I made a Doom channel with the Doom 4.1 dol.
When you say you tried it, did you try the wad that I created?

QUOTE said:
Yup, using WADDER 1.0

QUOTE said:
The config file must be called "elf_dol_forwarder.conf" since the forwarder looks for it by that name.

I suppose this could be just one of those homebrew programs that doesn't like forwarder (or just because of other needed folders. :sigh: although you said it worked on your wii so I don't know what the deal is.
Just to clarify... the forwarder doesn't work for WiiDoom for me, it works for WiiEarth though.
The wad I made definitely works for me though. I made it with WiiDoom from Homebrew Browser which is the shareware version, are you using the full version?

Interestingly I've had a few code dumps with verious apps and using a different freshly formatted SD card has sometimes helped. Give it a go if you have another one handy. A good quality branded 1gb sd card seems to be the best.

-Yes I tried the one you created, it looks really nice but as I mentioned it just code dumps for me.

I'm confused about the method you used, It seemed to me that in order for the forwarder to work one must use the elf_dol_forwarder.dol in the channel you make and then upon launching the channel it finds the actual dol from the SD by using the config file. That's what SpaceJump mentioned in the first post under the first Spoiler inside deal.

I'm using the full version of WiiDoom.

I'm backing up my SD card and I will format it reload the files type of thing. I will leave the doom app out and download it from the homebrew channel... and thats the plan. I have a 2GB Kinston micro into a standard SD. I'll let you know how it goes.

wilsoff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warren_303 said:
I'm confused about the method you used, It seemed to me that in order for the forwarder to work one must use the elf_dol_forwarder.dol in the channel you make and then upon launching the channel it finds the actual dol from the SD by using the config file. That's what SpaceJump mentioned in the first post under the first Spoiler inside deal.
Ah, ok, sorry about the confusion.

To use the forwarder, you need install the unmodified "Forwarder Generic v021 with white Banner.wad". Do not inject anything into this wad.

This will create a channel on your wii with a generic banner.

When you load this channel it looks at the config file and loads the specified dol. No need to edit the dol you want to lauch, and no need to edit the wad. The only thing you need to edit is the config.

However, this forwarder doesn't work for me for WiiDoom.

---

So I tried another method...

I used wadder 1.0 to create a wad from the wiidoom .dol file.

This method has nothing to do with the forwarder so we should probably think about starting a new topic to discuss this -> http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=127101

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
So, I was bored today, and tried to make a new Channel for the Generic Forwarder, since SpaceJump wanted it...(I think...). Tried to make it simple and minimalistic...

This came out:

Just in Case SpaceJump doesn't like his one...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Float like a butterfly burns when I pee lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So does that mean your date was not good? It burns now?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got two new stds in one night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Giggity
    +1
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    I don't bite! Minus the times when I did bite
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    Like 5 minutes ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +1
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: