Elf/Dol Forwarder for Custom Channels

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by SpaceJump, Nov 7, 2008.

1. SpaceJump
    OP

SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Aug 18, 2005
    Gambia, The
    Zebes
    A while ago I posted an idea for a GeeXboX channel in the "Custom Channels" thread. The idea was to have a little app that automatically loads the GeeXboX elf from the SD. This little app could be injected into a channel. I development such a little app (with the help of svpe and by using some of his functions, thanks svpe!).
    Then I went on and developed Forwarders for other apps.

There is also a generic Elf/Dol Forwarder which can be configured to load a desired elf/dol from a config file, soon a Media/Emu/Tools Forwarder (combining the different Wii apps) and Forwarders for specific apps such as the mentioned GeeXboX and MPlayerWii, so they can be injected into a wad and installed.

Benefits:
    - GeeXboX Channel (and of course others) possible through forwarding GeeXbox's boot.elf
    - No injection of a dol needed when an app/emu is updated through Homebrew Browser
    - Less Wii memory storage is used when using Forwarders, because the app's boot.dol stays on sd. Example: MPlayerWii's boot.dol is approx. 5MB, where the MPlayerWii Forwarder is under 1MB!

Releases:

Elf/Dol Forwarder Channel v0.2.1 for general use:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Media Forwarder Channel v2:
    Emulator Forwarder Channel:
    Tools Forwarder Channel:
    GeeXboX Channel Version:
    MPlayerWii Versions:
    Emulator Versions:
    Homebrew Browser Version:
    - Dol Forwarder for the awesome Homebrew Browser for injencting into your own wad (loads boot.dol from /apps/homebrew_bowser): Download
    - Download with included wad without sound (Banner by Blue-K, packed by djdynamite123): Download
    - Download with included wad with sound (Banner by Blue-K, packed and sound by djdynamite123): Download
    Preview:
    [​IMG]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gecko OS Version:
    - Dol Forwarder for Gecko OS with included wad (loads boot.dol from /apps/geckoos_cf): Download
    Preview:
    [​IMG]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WAD Manager Version:
    - Dol Forwarder for the WAD Manager with included wad (loads boot.dol from /apps/WADManager): Download (Mirror)
    Preview (Banner by Blue-K):
    [​IMG]
    SoftChip Version:
    - Dol Forwarder for SoftChip for injecting into wads (loads loader.dol from /SoftChip): Download
    - Download a wad with injected Forwarder (thanks WiiShizzza): Download (Mirror)
    Pong2 Version (fixed):
    - Dol Forwarder for Pong2 for injecting into wads (loads boot.dol from /apps/pong2): Download
    Quake Version:
    - Dol Forwarder for Quake for injecting into wads (loads boot.dol from /apps/quake): Download
    - Download a wad with injected Forwarder (thanks kevenz): Download
    DMP Version:
    - Dol Forwarder for DMP for injecting into wads (loads boot.dol from /apps/dmp): Download
    FTPii Version:
    - Dol Forwarder for FTPii for injecting into wads (loads boot.dol from /apps/FTPii): Download
    Linux Kernel Version:
    - Elf Forwarder for the Linux Kernel with included wad (loads boot.elf from /apps/linux-kernel): Download
    Preview (Banner by Iron Mask):
    [​IMG]
    BootDisc/Autoboot Version:
    - Dol Forwarder for BootDisc purposes for injecting into wads (loads autoboot.dol from /BootDisc): Download
    Gamecube Backup Launcher Version:
    - Dol Forwarder for Gamecube Backup Launcher for injecting into wads (loads boot.dol from /apps/GC_Backup_Launcher): Download
    USB Loader Version:
    - Dol Forwarder for waninkoko's USB Loader for injecting into wads (loads boot.dol from /apps/USBLoader): Download

Sources:

2. djdynamite123

djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

Banned
    Sep 21, 2008
    Redcar, England UK
    link me the app Spacejump [​IMG] ill get in touch with someone who's a dab hand at custom banners [​IMG]
    PM me or whatever [​IMG]

Also if you want a COMPLETE BLANK banner for NOW, download HOMEBREW LAUNCHER 10 from wiibrew, and use the WAD of HOMEBREW LAUNCHER, inject your app to that as its BLANK and uses F**k al! [​IMG]

3. SpaceJump
    OP

Aug 18, 2005
    Gambia, The
    Zebes
    What do you mean by "sue the wad"?

I'm done testing the app and I'm now cleaning up the code.

4. djdynamite123

Banned
    Sep 21, 2008
    Redcar, England UK
    Use the WAD of HOMEBREW LAUNCHER, inject your app to that as its BLANK and uses F**k al

5. SpaceJump
    OP

Aug 18, 2005
    Gambia, The
    Zebes
    I'm done testing and code cleaning, so here it is:

Download.

Can someone try to inject it into a wad and test it? I can't get autoinjectuwad to work with any .dol.

6. djdynamite123

Banned
    Sep 21, 2008
    Redcar, England UK

elf-.dol forwarder & new BLANK CHANNEL(requires a custom banner, please someone do one before me!!!!)[/url]

There you go Spacejump, its WORKS!!!!!
    The Wad is tiny, and is BLANK, don't worry look at my posts and threads on here, i don't F**k about, wad is 100% safe, PLEASE SOMEONE MAKE A BANNER BEFORE ME!!!!

7. SpaceJump
    OP

Aug 18, 2005
    Gambia, The
    Zebes
  8. djdynamite123

Banned
    Sep 21, 2008
    Redcar, England UK
    you wally lol
    ITS THE LINK TO THE .DOL AND A WAD!!!!!!!
    incase someone has a new banner ready for US!

9. OSW

OSW Wii King

Former Staff
    Oct 30, 2006
    SpaceJump, this sounds like a good idea [​IMG]

I wonder if you wouldn't mind releasing a generic version that loads boot.elf off sd card (maybe from inside an "elf_forwarder" folder? or just root?).

So we can use it for other apps and not just GeeXboX [​IMG]

On a side note:
    I've been using blank channels for ages. People were using them before they started work on proper banners.
    The TCPloader wad is another blank channel. (found on wiibrew i think)
    They really do take up such small space (about 200/300kb more than the original .dol i think) and are nice when you're waiting for someone to create a better banner.

10. djdynamite123

Banned
    Sep 21, 2008
    Redcar, England UK
    OSW, you snapped up my wad [​IMG]
    it works how cool [​IMG]
    just need someone to make a sexy banner, linux style [​IMG] i cant be a##ed creating one as i dont have time for that at the minute. hope someone else can [​IMG]
    [​IMG] LIKE THAT!!!

11. djdynamite123

Banned
    Sep 21, 2008
    Redcar, England UK
    hi sonic, iv'e sent you the mp3 and pic for geexbox [​IMG]

12. SpaceJump
    OP

Aug 18, 2005
    Gambia, The
    Zebes
    Thanks OSW. I can make a version that automatically loads elf_forwarder.elf or dol_forwarder.dol from root of sd. Would that be ok?

Additionally I could make versions on request for other apps.

The advantage of these channels is that they use less space than the real wads [​IMG]

13. 20clarky08

20clarky08 Official Wii Freak

Oct 29, 2008
    ScouseLand
    cant wait for this guys...gonna look gud

keep up the good work.

14. ganons

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    i thought geexbox doesnt load from channel, but only the hbc

15. djdynamite123

Banned
    Sep 21, 2008
    Redcar, England UK
    Did you read anything on here??? guess NOT

this isnt the APP in the .dol, its a forwarding.dol, therefore forwards it to load from sd card, so SAVES SPACE ON WII, so it can okokok

16. SpaceJump
    OP

Aug 18, 2005
    Gambia, The
    Zebes
    Here you go: elf_forwarder generic version.

It automatically loads "forwarded.elf" in the folder /elf_dol_forwarder on your sd.

Edit: These versions only load elf-files, no dols. I will make a dol_forwarder in the next days.

17. djdynamite123

Banned
    Sep 21, 2008
    Redcar, England UK
    Brill [​IMG] many thanx Spacejump

18. Sonic DX

Sonic DX Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2008
    France
  19. djdynamite123

Banned
    Sep 21, 2008
    Redcar, England UK
    Channels amazing Sonic DX, once again many thanx!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

20. SpaceJump
    OP

Aug 18, 2005
    Gambia, The
    Zebes
    Nice banner Sonic DX. Can you please make a version with the banner without that TV and no sound? Also could you make a wad for the elf_forwarder generic version (look at the first post)?

I updated the first post with all downloads so far and will keep it updated, if something knew is created. So if anyone wants a version for a specific app just let me know.

@Mods: Can one of you please change the thread title to Elf/Dol Forwarder for Custom Channels? I think this shouldn't be only GeeXboX related. Thanks [​IMG]