Hacking Dumping a retail cart with GodMode9 - is the .cia locked to a console?

yatesl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm in the process of dumping some games to my 3DS so I don't need to bring them with me when I travel, and they're available on the SD card.

It's going fine and well (pleasantly surprised to find it backs up the save too - I think?), but if I wanted to back that game up to my 2nd 2DS, could I use the same .cia file or would I need to dump it again on the new console - if the ticket is tied to that machine when dumping etc.

Or are retail carts "unlocked"? Or, again, is the ticket/license generated when you install the .cia?

AyanamiRei0

GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of dumping some games to my 3DS so I don't need to bring them with me when I travel, and they're available on the SD card.

It's going fine and well (pleasantly surprised to find it backs up the save too - I think?), but if I wanted to back that game up to my 2nd 2DS, could I use the same .cia file or would I need to dump it again on the new console - if the ticket is tied to that machine when dumping etc.

Or are retail carts "unlocked"? Or, again, is the ticket/license generated when you install the .cia?

You can use the same CIA's on any console just fine

Reactions: yatesl

yatesl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Great, thanks. Dumping a 1 or 2GB file on a normal 3DS is slow, so if I can skip that part that will save me time!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn