Hacking Dumb BootMii question

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, I did do searches on both here and on Google. So don't flame me for not searching. Maybe I'm just reading what I searched wrong. And yes, I do flame noobs who ask similar questions. You may find quotes from me to contradict me, only if you provide useful info as well.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there's a way to install BootMii from the Homebrew Channel. I've looked everywhere for the BootMii Installer but zilch. All signs point me to the HackMii installer, which I don't really need seeing as I already have HBC and DVDx. I just want to install BootMii as a safety precaution as I'm slowly but surely looking to begin installing all the necessary junk for playing backups.

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can only install it through HackMii

HackMii gives you a menu where you can choose what you want to install. You don't have to install what you don't need.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can install bootmii using hackmii installer. Each component (DVDx, HBC, Bootmii) is separately installed, so you can install just what you want. Select bootmii option in main menu and install it.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had no trouble running it from HBC. Just create some kind of directory with a recognizable name in the apps folder, dump the boot.elf in there, go to the last page of HBC and select that option and install bootmii wherever it lets you.

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would depend on what IOS exploits are available.
You can try first through HBC and if it can't find a vulnerable IOS, use BannerBomb

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I need to do anything with the wiiload folder in there? Or should I just transfer the boot.elf?

Sorry for all the questions. I feel like a noob. I need to take a shower afterwards to get the noob off me.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Do I need to do anything with the wiiload folder in there? Or should I just transfer the boot.elf?

Sorry for all the questions. I feel like a noob. I need to take a shower afterwards to get the noob off me.

No just get the boot.elf and run it like any other application. If you have an older than HBC 1.0.3 version and you have wifi there should also actually just be an auto update feature when you open the HBC that would take you to the hackmii installer to do it automatically.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
Guild McCommunist said:

No just get the boot.elf and run it like any other application. If you have an older than HBC 1.0.3 version and you have wifi there should also actually just be an auto update feature when you open the HBC that would take you to the hackmii installer to do it automatically.

Alright, I'll give it a go. Thanks for all the info, everyone.

EDIT: Great success! BootMii installed perfectly. Now my Wii loads to that and everything else is intact. Now to start installing stuff to get backup loaders working.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the two-posts-in-a-row.

Not exactly on topic but it's better than making a new thread.

So, I'm using this thread to get cIOS installed. It says to install PreLoader first. Do I need to or can I just go ahead and install the cIOS? Also, do I need to patch IOS36?

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well I was unable to run the HackMii installer cause it is an .elf file, so I run it thru Preloader...!!
smile.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
Well I was unable to run the HackMii installer cause it is an .elf file, so I run it thru Preloader...!!
smile.gif

I got BootMii installed via the HackMii installer without a PreLoader. I just used the HBC.

But do I need PreLoader? And do I need to patch IOS36 to play backups?

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Were you able to install BootMii as Boot2? If so, make a NAND backup so you have it in case of a brick.

If not, then yes, definately install PreLoader so you have some brick protection.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
ether2802 said:
smile.gif

I got BootMii installed via the HackMii installer without a PreLoader. I just used the HBC.

You need a cIOS to play backups, and you need the trucha bug to install a cIOS. If you are on 3.2 or lower you have the trucha bug in every IOS. If not you need to use the Trucha Bug Restorer to patch it back into IOS36. Then you need to use IOS36 to install cIOS rev14. Then if you aren't already on 4.0/4.1 you should update via Waninkoko's updaters (if you are below 4.0 you will need to do the 4.0 updater then the 4.1 updater.) Preloader should not be installed until you are updated to the system menu you will stay at because any system menu change will get rid of it anyways.

Read though the guide in my sig and you should understand what you do and do not need to use.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ozguy said:
Were you able to install BootMii as Boot2? If so, make a NAND backup so you have it in case of a brick.

If not, then yes, definately install PreLoader so you have some brick protection.

Yeah, I installed it as boot2. It now is the first thing that boots. Everything is perfect so far.

So after I make a NAND backup, can I just install mIOS (I'm looking to play GC backups) and start using the backup loader or do I have to use trucha bug and whatever. I'll find my Wii's code in a second.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
Guild McCommunist said:
ether2802 said:
smile.gif

You need a cIOS to play backups, and you need the trucha bug to install a cIOS. If you are on 3.2 or lower you have the trucha bug in every IOS. If not you need to use the Trucha Bug Restorer to patch it back into IOS36. Then you need to use IOS36 to install cIOS rev14. Then if you aren't already on 4.0/4.1 you should update via Waninkoko's updaters (if you are below 4.0 you will need to do the 4.0 updater then the 4.1 updater.) Preloader should not be installed until you are updated to the system menu you will stay at because any system menu change will get rid of it anyways.

Read though the guide in my sig and you should understand what you do and do not need to use.

Alright. So trucha bug restorer, install mIOS, use GC backup launcher. Got it. I'll also install cIOS while I'm at it, just in case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.