Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

Dochartaigh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for OoE freezing, if the same ROM is freezing on both TwilightMenu and a flashcart not running TWLMenu, it's probably the ROM.

Thank, but it's most likely not the file. The same file works on my New 3DS XL on both the SD card via Twilight/nds, and off the same flashcart. It just doesn't run on my DSi XL.

I also just ran the MD5 hash of the one I'm using and it's correct/verified from the No-Intro site. I've never dumped a cartridge before but if all else fails I can try that... but pretty sure the file is good since it's what everybody is using. There's a good amount of people posting about this same issue on forums too (as well as the official GitHub)... just haven't found a solution that works yet.

**EDIT** As I try them I’m editing this post and pasting in things I found and already tried:

A post from 6 months ago said “fixed it, had to turn both dsi mode and WiFi on”.
—my “Run in” setting is already set to “DSi Mode”…

From closed GitHub ticket “If you're running on a flashcard, a DS Memory Expansion Pak is required, so that WiFi code runs correctly, otherwise switch to the flashcard kernel instead of B4DS, in TWLMenu++ Settings.”
–– I’m assuming this is for a regular DS and not my DSi XL…

May 19, 2021, "Both issues [Ecclesia was mentioned too] should be fixed by later nds-bootstrap versions. The occasional crashes in Dawn of Sorrow may not be fixed though, which I have no idea how to fix."
–– I’m on the most recent version - don’t know how often they’re updated but I assume my version has been updated since then…

Another GitHub: “the card read DMA implementation is currently buggy, so try turning it off.”
–– My R4 flashcart has a checkbox for “DMA”, and when I uncheck it the game DOES seem to run (at least lets me start a game at least). I’m just paranoid I’m going to put dozens of hours into this game and it’s going to freeze, glitch-out, or corrupt a save later on…

On something that didn’t mention Ecclesia but DID mention “DMA”, it says to hold Left Shoulder on boot (when running off SD card on Twilight/nds) to get it to run.
–– I have NO clue if this turns off DMA as well or what (and if it does, what detriments are there to having DMA off???), but this WILL also let me start a game

SO, I guess what I’m really asking is what do people normally do in a case like this? When I play a game like this I really go all out and spend obscene amounts of time leveling up, upgrading everything, etc. etc. so I DO NOT want this game to crap out on me a couple dozen hours into it and I loose everything. I would literally shed a tear lol.

If it’s a simple setting/tweak that makes this game play well (and reliably!!!) then I’ll use whatever the experts say to do – as I’ve already beat the 2x DS Castlevania games before this and they played PERFECT in Twilight/nds-bootstrap on my DSi XL. …just don’t want this game to be the exception to the rule and REALLY want to play it off SD card like I’ve been doing with every other DS (and GBA) game.

Last edited by Dochartaigh,

Dochartaigh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Dochartaigh The issue is the WiFi card in your DSi XL console. It's either broken or improperly connected.

Where is the WiFI ping trying to connect to? Maybe it's blocked on my router which has some special configs, vpn, etc. Will I not be able to play this game when I'm out and about and not connected to the internet? I can't imagine servers are even up for this game (didn't even know it has/had an online element).

And on a side-note I've always been curious about: what happens when whatever website it needs to reach to continue loading the game (in say 10, 20, 30 years, heck, maybe next year...) isn't around anymore? What happens when routers even stop having 2.4ghz connections even available to connect to anymore (those WILL be obsolete at some point)?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where is the WiFI ping trying to connect to? Maybe it's blocked on my router which has some special configs, vpn, etc. Will I not be able to play this game when I'm out and about and not connected to the internet? I can't imagine servers are even up for this game (didn't even know it has/had an online element).

And on a side-note I've always been curious about: what happens when whatever website it needs to reach to continue loading the game (in say 10, 20, 30 years, heck, maybe next year...) isn't around anymore? What happens when routers even stop having 2.4ghz connections even available to connect to anymore (those WILL be obsolete at some point)?
The issue is that when doing anything wireless-related, it causes the game to crash. Doesn't matter if you're connected to the internet or not.
That's why OoE locks up in the bat screen, and also why the communication error occurs in Pokemon Gen 4, because it failed to search for a Wii console.

The WiFi card in your DSi XL will most likely need to be reconnected in the console, by opening up the console to access it's internal hardware, in order to get to the card.

Last edited by RocketRobz,
Reactions: banjo2

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Robz8 Hey, just wanted to say that I tried everything I could to get Transformers: War for Cybertron Autobots to work on Twilight Menu and it keeps on crashing.
Have you tried Decepticons as well?
If the same result happens, and/or you tried different ROMs as well, then wait for a fix.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

Kuramations

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, this is an interesting case.
Either War for Cybertron has an undocumented AP measure (because the crash seems to be consistent), or we're doing something wrong, but we don't know what.
That makes me think: could it be something with my system/hardware? Like is there something I should do with my SD card?

aea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello Robz8 and all the people that made TWLMenu++ possible. I finally moded mi DSi and am enjoying some games/homebrew, but here I have a noob question: I was using some (maybe bad dumped) dsiware that gave me a blank screen and refused to reset, and also DSx86 wich when I used it on Nintendo DS only had to reset the console to shut the app down, what I cannot do on DSi using TWLMenu++. My question is: is there any button combo or setting in unlaunch or TWLMenu++ that I can do to reset such problematic games/homebrew?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello Robz8 and all the people that made TWLMenu++ possible. I finally moded mi DSi and am enjoying some games/homebrew, but here I have a noob question: I was using some (maybe bad dumped) dsiware that gave me a blank screen and refused to reset, and also DSx86 wich when I used it on Nintendo DS only had to reset the console to shut the app down, what I cannot do on DSi using TWLMenu++. My question is: is there any button combo or setting in unlaunch or TWLMenu++ that I can do to reset such problematic games/homebrew?
Hold A+B+X+Y when TWLMenu++ starts, to reset the settings.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can go back to the DS menu by using the button combo R+L+Down+B all at the same time, but only if the game is running. And if you've encountered a freeze in game, it doesn't do nothing, and you need to hardware reset it.

agentducky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There still isn't button remapping yet for ds games specially in this correct? My r button is broken and I'd love to be able to remap it to zr like I can outside of the menu.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There still isn't button remapping yet for ds games specially in this correct? My r button is broken and I'd love to be able to remap it to zr like I can outside of the menu.
  1. It is unfortunately not possible, as the game itself would need to be hacked to use different buttons.
  2. 3DS-exclusive buttons cannot be used in DS(i) mode.

agentducky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. It is unfortunately not possible, as the game itself would need to be hacked to use different buttons.
  2. 3DS-exclusive buttons cannot be used in DS(i) mode.
Aw well. Pokemon games don't really use the r button for anything useful anyway so atleast I know I can play those. If only nintendo had used ribbon cables for the 2ds xl instead of soldering the buttons to the motherboard, then it would be such an easy fix Thanks anyway, gonna enjoy playing pokemon black for the first time.

Last edited by agentducky,

aea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can go back to the DS menu by using the button combo R+L+Down+B all at the same time, but only if the game is running. And if you've encountered a freeze in game, it doesn't do nothing, and you need to hardware reset it.
Yeah, I already did this and did not work, neither the hardware reset, so I had to let the battery discharge.
Hold A+B+X+Y when TWLMenu++ starts, to reset the settings.
If I remember well I saw that combo in the built in manual, I'll try it when my DSi is low on battery, in the case it does not work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la