Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Robz8 I have a suggestion. I like to play games in widescreen only when they have a widescreen patch. Other games I prefer the default resolution. Can you put a visual flag in a game that have the widescreen patch? That way I can configure widescreen only for these games. Thank you.
That's where RTCom will soon come into play.

one-piece

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi, I keep wondering after the last update. Which one have better compatibility TWL+Chainloading DsTwo or nds_boostrap from SD. All on a DSi

Baromo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have some questions about slot-2 flashcards: between currently supported flashcard, is there one better than others for gba native mode? I was thinking buying a supercard sd mini especially for gba native mode (much cheaper than regular gba flashcards).

Also, it seems slot-1 flashcard ace3ds+ may be compatible with Twilight Menu: will I be able to use the kernel flashcard instead of nds-bootstrap? As you probably understood, my plan is to use ace3ds+ with supercard sd mini on my ds lite. I know I could simply use ace3ds+ without twilight menu but I was also interested to play gba games natively (I don't know if gba native mode is supported by flashcard itself but I doubt it).

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi. :)
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to launch jEnesisDS via TWLMenu ++ on DSi (camera-slot, Memory Pit, without Unlaunch)?

I tried running it directly, and it asks me for a RamDisk.
So I first launched HBMenu.nds and then jEnesisDS; never has a choice been worse than this!!! My console froze, with no possibility to reset or shut down; I had to take out the battery. :ohnoes:

I know there is PicoDrive inside, but no sound effects or music can be heard. Isn't it really possible to get jEnesisDS to work somehow?

Thanks in advance. :)

Reactions: banjo2

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to launch jEnesisDS via TWLMenu ++ on DSi (camera-slot, Memory Pit, without Unlaunch)?

I tried running it directly, and it asks me for a RamDisk.
So I first launched HBMenu.nds and then jEnesisDS; never has a choice been worse than this!!! My console froze, with no possibility to reset or shut down; I had to take out the battery. :ohnoes:

I know there is PicoDrive inside, but no sound effects or music can be heard. Isn't it really possible to get jEnesisDS to work somehow?

Thanks in advance. :)
The only way to get jEnesisDS to work, is to install Unlaunch, or use a flashcard. After that, you just launch the ROM like any other DS or GBA ROM, instead of the emulator ROM.
Also, you could've held the POWER button instead of taking out the battery. :P

Kyle_w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi Robz I wanna report back some testing but I realized that with the latest release the nightly shows 0.37 something (probably that nightly we were using) on the menu while the release shows 0.38, is that correct? Also just saw you uploaded a nightly 3 mins ago on the bot, is that something new I can test? Thanks

Edit: Should I focus testing on the nightly or the release should have the fixes now?

Last edited by Kyle_w,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Robz I wanna report back some testing but I realized that with the latest release the nightly shows 0.37 something (probably that nightly we were using) on the menu while the release shows 0.38, is that correct? Also just saw you uploaded a nightly 3 mins ago on the bot, is that something new I can test? Thanks

Edit: Should I focus testing on the nightly or the release should have the fixes now?
The release should have the fixes, so you don't need the nightly, unless you have the game stated.

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The only way to get jEnesisDS to work, is to install Unlaunch, or use a flashcard. After that, you just launch the ROM like any other DS or GBA ROM, instead of the emulator ROM.
Also, you could've held the POWER button instead of taking out the battery. :P
Thank you.
As I already assumed.

Of course I had held the button down to turn it off, as I normally would, but it didn't work!
Maybe I had to press it for half an hour or more!?!...:rofl2:

Kyle_w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ok so from my testing updating to the latest release:

Final Fantasy A2: White screens with all defaults and release but works perfectly if you change speed to 133mhz.

Spider Man - Edge of Time: Working now with all defaults and release, played a fair bit till the first boss it works perfectly so you might want to add to the compatibility list, on a side note it crashes the DS when you summon the bootstrap menu so you gotta reset the system.
For anyone interested it's kind of a hidden gem Spidervania style game a little less polished than Shattered Dimensions but cool atmosphere and those are the two that follow the gba metroidvania style.

Top Spin 3 and Drugwars still black screen but that probably wasn't even what was being fixed.
DrugWars is not on the homebrew compatibility list, is it deprecated abandonware and should I just drop it? Which is ok I was just curious to see how this little port was, or should I keep the rom around and be testing in future releases? (got it from fixed list post here)

One question I had is what the options menu in the in-game menu is for? I'm assuming it shows the settings you are running the game, being set per-game or system-wide, is that correct? Assuming that, I haven't seen it change in any game I've tried, changing the clock speed or VRAM. Does that mean the game is not using those options even if I tried to set them?
With that in mind my main question has been if games benefit from the higher clock (and maybe vram?) even if they aren't DSi enhanced games or if I'm getting into placebo territory, this Reddit post was the closest I could find but It's all reports that may be placebo, testing a few of the games mentioned doesn't show 133mhz on the options menu.

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/95rdur/do_any_other_games_take_advantage_of_the_dsimenu/

If you have answered this many times before can you point me to the right keywords or post where I can find more definitive info on this?

Sorry for all the burning (noob) questions lol. Thanks and Cheers!

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so from my testing updating to the latest release:

Final Fantasy A2: White screens with all defaults and release but works perfectly if you change speed to 133mhz.

Spider Man - Edge of Time: Working now with all defaults and release, played a fair bit till the first boss it works perfectly so you might want to add to the compatibility list, on a side note it crashes the DS when you summon the bootstrap menu so you gotta reset the system.
For anyone interested it's kind of a hidden gem Spidervania style game a little less polished than Shattered Dimensions but cool atmosphere and those are the two that follow the gba metroidvania style.

Top Spin 3 and Drugwars still black screen but that probably wasn't even what was being fixed.
DrugWars is not on the homebrew compatibility list, is it deprecated abandonware and should I just drop it? Which is ok I was just curious to see how this little port was, or should I keep the rom around and be testing in future releases? (got it from fixed list post here)

One question I had is what the options menu in the in-game menu is for? I'm assuming it shows the settings you are running the game, being set per-game or system-wide, is that correct? Assuming that, I haven't seen it change in any game I've tried, changing the clock speed or VRAM. Does that mean the game is not using those options even if I tried to set them?
With that in mind my main question has been if games benefit from the higher clock (and maybe vram?) even if they aren't DSi enhanced games or if I'm getting into placebo territory, this Reddit post was the closest I could find but It's all reports that may be placebo, testing a few of the games mentioned doesn't show 133mhz on the options menu.

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/95rdur/do_any_other_games_take_advantage_of_the_dsimenu/

If you have answered this many times before can you point me to the right keywords or post where I can find more definitive info on this?

Sorry for all the burning (noob) questions lol. Thanks and Cheers!
Homebrew compatibility hasn't been fixed for a while.
Also, the in-game menu lists the incorrect settings because nds-bootstrap locks SCFG before the game boots. The SCFG contains info like CPU speed and VRAM boost.

Kyle_w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Homebrew compatibility hasn't been fixed for a while.
Also, the in-game menu lists the incorrect settings because nds-bootstrap locks SCFG before the game boots. The SCFG contains info like CPU speed and VRAM boost.
Gotcha, and about the clock speeds,the reddit post info proceeds? Should I assume that if I set the game option to 133 and it doesn't crash then it is using that speed and the games may benefit? Or its all placebo for games that are not hardcoded to use it?
Is there technical or definitive info about this somewhere?

JohanVzLa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Is there no way to emulate slot-2 in Twilight Menu? im would like to transfer mons from my gba roms or get slot-2 exclusive mons like this

ryujin889

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I know this is not really related to the thread but, can I update a 3ds using 3dnus and sysupdater as 3dnus can pack the firmware a cias?

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

1) Is it possible to use DSOrganizer or other file manager within TWLMenu ++ (camera-slot with Memory Pit only), to copy, move, rename, edit files etc?

2) If so, is it possible to use HBMenu with .argv files (e.g. play custom .wad/deh files with DSDoom, each time editing .argv file on the fly, directly from console)?

Thanks as always for the trouble :P

Reactions: Tarmfot and banjo2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo