Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Pk11 , out of curiosity, how exactly do you install python2 through pacman? because if you do pacman -S python, it always installs the latest which is python3. I'd like both installed in case I ever encounter this problem again with compiling. maybe you could use a requirements.txt with the installs taken from that txt file to make things even easier. that's how ooot-lite is. though, it downloads several things through pip via python iirc from that file. not sure if there are restrictions.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
@Pk11 , out of curiosity, how exactly do you install python2 through pacman? because if you do pacman -S python, it always installs the latest which is python3. I'd like both installed in case I ever encounter this problem again with compiling. maybe you could use a requirements.txt with the installs taken from that txt file to make things even easier. that's how ooot-lite is. though, it downloads several things through pip via python iirc from that file. not sure if there are restrictions.
Not sure exactly as I use macOS, maybe python2 (https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/python2/) or mingw-w64-python2 (https://packages.msys2.org/base/mingw-w64-python2)?

Reactions: godreborn

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, you can still use the existing launcher.
So if I install Twilight Menu ++ on my flashcart, and I auto-boot from my flashcart, am I not using the CFW on my DS in this case? Or my ROMS on my SD Card?

Takes away the whole reasoning behind the SD Card lol. I can just install twilight on my flashcard, and autoboot from there. NO need for CFW on my DS Then.

I thought I could just for this 1 game, put a "forwarder" on my existing launcher, so when this is launched, it launches the game on the flashcart, so I can play Golden sun

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I install Twilight Menu ++ on my flashcart, and I auto-boot from my flashcart, am I not using the CFW on my DS in this case? Or my ROMS on my SD Card?

Takes away the whole reasoning behind the SD Card lol. I can just install twilight on my flashcard, and autoboot from there. NO need for CFW on my DS Then.

I thought I could just for this 1 game, put a "forwarder" on my existing launcher, so when this is launched, it launches the game on the flashcart, so I can play Golden sun
not sure I understand what you mean. you need the flash cart for golden sun. twilight menu I think is serving as a frontend in this case.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Pk11 , just googled the problem, and one of the threads I found says you can use both, but using both usually breaks things on your system. it's not intended to work that way, I guess.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Pk11 , I think I got them both installed by searching with pacman -Ss python2:

1645648934470.png

1645648984628.png

it was pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-python2

Reactions: Pk11

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Pk11 , I just learned something new, which I think might work with twilightmenu:

1645651853807.png

now, when python2 is entered it works as if using the normal python command. I have it set there permanently by creating a doskey.bat, and adding this to cmd.exe shortcut:

1645652794902.png

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can still access the console's SD card after installing on your flashcard.
To do so, just launch TWLMenu++ from the 3DS HOME Menu, and make sure both the Slot-1 SCFG and auto-start Slot-1 options are enabled.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found that using a bat in this way isn't permanent, so I created a macro and injected it into the registry. now, it's permanent with shortcut and normal cmd in address bar, so python and python2 commands use python2 while python3 uses python3.

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
not sure I understand what you mean. you need the flash cart for golden sun. twilight menu I think is serving as a frontend in this case.
I already have Twilight installed on my SD Card, and booting off that and have all my Roms there. Thats what I meant.

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can still access the console's SD card after installing on your flashcard.
To do so, just launch TWLMenu++ from the 3DS HOME Menu, and make sure both the Slot-1 SCFG and auto-start Slot-1 options are enabled.
What I mean is I want to launch Golden Sun from my default launcher on my SD Card, and I just have an icon to the ROM from my already pre-existing launcher on my SD card, but it opens up Golden Sun via the flashcart in this case.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a way to force twilight menu to use python2 when compiling? I'd like to check if this method worked. when I downloaded it normally, it used python3.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nm, again. I got it. I removed the code for python and python3, then I had to rename python.exe to python2.exe, so it must use the name of the exe file, but python3 is also python, which is weird:

1645718113741.png

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it succeeded at compiling with "python2" with those changes to booter, resources, and rungame make files. after making the changes, I just had to rename python to python2 for some reason. I was never able to figure out how to make it think python was python2 unless I removed the 2, but I want the text to say python2 like I had succeeded. doskey didn't help with that, so I think it's looking at the exe name, but then how does python3 work if it's also just named python.exe?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trying to use compile.sh in linux (debian). I added the amd64 version of devkitpro, a deb file, but when I tried downloading nds-dev, this happened:

1645729578020.png

I'm more curious than anything how all this stuff works. I feel bad about flooding your thread with my posts. I'm just wanting to learn. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yay solitude again