Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
good for you
but seriously this is why I use YSmenu on my flashcart and TWLmenu++ on my hacked DSi XL
because YSmenu is meant for almost all flashcarts and TWLmenu++ is mostly meant for the actual systems themselves
edit: note: my flashcart is also an r4 clone but it’s an r4isdhc.com “r4i gold pro 2020” cart
it has served me well for the few things twlmenu doesn’t do well- soft reset booting back to the folder menu, fast loading times (but in all seriousness why does it take nds bootstrap a whole 30 seconds just to start running Pokémon black 2?), that kinda thing).

it is only for Test purpose to cover all DS Devices and give @Robz8 better Feedback for his further Developemt.
As you maybe noticed some Games work on the (New) 3DS but not on the DSi.
Some uses Flashcards too with TWiLight and it helps maybe DS/DS Lite Users too.

Thank you.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,
Reactions: banjo2

Emanuel_EXE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
One last question, what about the 'FAT Table File' message? That appears everytime no matter what I do when I start a recently added ROM?

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I supposed that it was also a one time only thing... Meh, it takes half a second for each new ROM, so I guess I can't complain

Maybe you are referring to the RAM Dump, that is dumped the first rom you boot ever only, but the FAT table cache will be created only when you launch a new rom for the first time.

Emanuel_EXE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
Anyways, saving the FAT table cache worked, but I feel like soft resetting was more instantaneous in the previous update.
For example, in 12.1.0, in Mega Man Zero Collection, I did Soft Reset like normal to restart a mission and try to S rank it, and when I did so, I was on the title screen at the very moment I pressed Start+Select+L+R. I also could do that again if I wanted to play other MMZ game (since you had to SR twice to go back to the MMZC Title Screen and choose other game, but again, it was instantaneous). But now in 12.2.0, when I try to SR, it takes 12 seconds to restart the game (I counted them), and it doesn't even takes me to the title screen of the specific MMZ game I'm playing like supposed, it takes me ALL THE WAY BACK to the Capcom, Inti Creates and Nintendo logos.
In both ZX games, it takes more or less the same amount of time as MMZC to soft reset, I recently just tested them.
I also tested this on NSMB. I own a physical USA cartridge, I also dumped it myself. Both physical (opened in the HOME Menu) and digital (on TwilightMenu) SR like normal (Both have an animation that fades on a black screen)

Last edited by Emanuel_EXE,

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyways, saving the FAT table cache worked, but I feel like soft resetting was more instantaneous in the previous update.
For example, in 12.1.0, in Mega Man Zero Collection, I did Soft Reset like normal to restart a mission and try to S rank it, and when I did so, I was on the title screen at the very moment I pressed Start+Select+L+R. I also could do that again if I wanted to play other MMZ game (since you had to SR twice to go back to the MMZC Title Screen and choose other game, but again, it was instantaneous). But now in 12.2.0, when I try to SR, it takes 12 seconds to restart the game (I counted them), and it doesn't even takes me to the title screen of the specific MMZ game I'm playing like supposed, it takes me ALL THE WAY BACK to the Capcom, Inti Creates and Nintendo logos
I know right? I don’t (and can’t- some file permissions fudgery) use HiyaCFW, so I didn’t have soft resetting at all on TWL until now but I still know it’s pretty dang slow. Can’t it just... send you to the title screen without having to reload the entire freaking game?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I spoke too soon. it randomly freezes for me when quitting to launcher. it doesn't have to be the second time as it happened the first time just now.

jonothan.stevens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like I literally just updated my TW install the other day and now there's already a new release.

Thanks for all the work, @Robz8 (and anybody else contributing).

Sorry I don't have any bugs or whatever to report. I've been playing Summon Night Swordcraft Story GBA via TW Menu on my DSi units and it's been going smoothly so far.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The soft reset works, and after formatting my cart and enabling FAT saving it works really well. However, I was just wondering: is there a way to enable soft reset for all DS games? Like, including ones that already use it in some way like NSMB DS?
Also, just suggesting for a future update: a separate button command booting back to the file menu. Otherwise I have to restart the system when I'd just want to launch a different game in the same folder.

Last edited by Plasmaster09,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The soft reset works, and after formatting my cart and enabling FAT saving it works really well. However, I was just wondering: is there a way to enable soft reset for all DS games? Like, including ones that already use it in some way like NSMB DS?
Yes. In the next nds-bootstrap version, you can hold L+R+START+SELECT for 2 seconds to force a game reset.
Also, just suggesting for a future update: a separate button command booting back to the file menu. Otherwise I have to restart the system when I'd just want to launch a different game in the same folder.
You can already do that. Hold L+R+DOWN+B for 2 seconds.

Reactions: banjo2

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. In the next nds-bootstrap version, you can hold L+R+START+SELECT for 2 seconds to force a game reset.

You can already do that. Hold L+R+DOWN+B for 2 seconds.
Yeah, thing is that because I'm using Unlaunch it boots me back to Unlaunch, meaning I have to reenter and reload TWLmenu's menu either way instead of just exiting back to it.
Edit: Here's an idea- I wonder if the menu could be cached just like the games are, and when you boot back to the menu it just loads it from the cache. That way, instead of having to reload the entire menu slowly each time and boot back to the intermediary menu (Unlaunch, Hiya, etc.) when using the soft-exit, it'd only have to update and recache when new games are put on it and it'd be able to just load from the cache upon soft-exit!

Last edited by Plasmaster09,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, thing is that because I'm using Unlaunch it boots me back to Unlaunch, meaning I have to reenter and reload TWLmenu's menu either way instead of just exiting back to it.
Edit: Here's an idea- I wonder if the menu could be cached just like the games are, and when you boot back to the menu it just loads it from the cache. That way, instead of having to reload the entire menu slowly each time and boot back to the intermediary menu (Unlaunch, Hiya, etc.) when using the soft-exit, it'd only have to update and recache when new games are put on it and it'd be able to just load from the cache upon soft-exit!
It can already read a game list from a .ini file. An option just needs to be made to make the .ini file.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can already read a game list from a .ini file. An option just needs to be made to make the .ini file.
Maybe it could make/save and load/reload the .ini with the list of games the same way it saves a typical game save- it makes or remakes the .ini when powered on by checking what roms are present, and if the ini is the same it just quick-loads it somehow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    B @ btjunior: i am 16 but set my birthday to 9/11 lmao