Homebrew Ds Homebrew Project *Terraria LIKE Game* 2D

Csteal1556

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is all Just a idea i am not a programer but i do have a flash cart so i can test it i need some help making it if any one wants to help just leave a comment saying so and what you can do.

Below Is All About it i have skype if your really seroiuse about this and want to help.

The Game Could Feature A Sprite (The Character) Who Has To Survive The World Around Them By Living Off The Land.

* Worlds *

We Could Have It So The Worlds Are So Long And So High And Someway To Generate The Worlds With Random Formations (Cliffs,Vallys,Lakes,Trees,Etc) You Could Remove What Ever Part Of The World You Want.( Since Its 2D Underground Would Not Be Issue)

* Materials *
Trees Could Be Walkthrewable But Be Able To Cut Down With A Axe. ( For This I Think You Could Have Nothing Collides With the tree Accept For The Axe Witch Could Collide And Cause Damage. The Tree Would Have 100 Health and Axe Would Get Rid Of The Health Untill It Reachs 0 and you can pick up wood and build houses with it and make wooden walls to replace the outside background in the area you place it.

Dirt Could Be Removed With A Shovel And Placeable

Stone Could Be Removed With A Pick And Replaced To Make House And Craft Items.

And We Could Make Other Materials

* Time *
We Could Have A Sun That Slowly Moves Across The Top Screen Along With Clouds The Sun Would Indicate How Long Untill Night And The Moon Would Tell How Long Untill Day. The Days Could Be 10 Minutes Long And So Could Night.

* Npcs*
At Night Monsters Would Spawn

Zombies - Would Chase After You Untill Slayed

Eye Balls - Would Fly And Dive On You Untill Slayed

During The Day Only Slimes Would Spawn And They Would Aimlessly Jump Around The World Untill they meet your sprite and then they attack you

Now Other Npcs That Are Good Could Spawn like If You Have a room for them rooms would be any size aslong as they have
a light source , a table , and chair.

Nurse - Would Heal You For Currency

Merchent - Sell and Buy Items

More In Future Updates If Game Ever Made

*Crafting*
You could have a crafting table that is 2x2 in your inventory and using 4 wood would make a 3x3 crafting bench
witch could make diffrent items like better tools , armour , furnaces , Etc

*Inventory And Menu*

The First time you start it would ask you to input a name for you character and you would then be moved on to a
menu that had a button that says single player you tap it and hit create world it creates a world and you play then you hit select to accses inventory and at bottem left it would say save and quit and then transport u back to main menu. The Inventory Would Have Slots for items items like wood can be stacked in stacks of 64 and there would be hot space you can accses during
game to use. The other Items would have to be draged to the hotspace to be used.

*Health*
You would have hearts on the top right of upper screen every time you get hit by a unfriendly npc it would take damage untill you reach 0 hearts and have to respawn you would respawn with all items but lose % of money on your person. You would respawn with max health.

*Currency*
We could have 3 coins Bronze , Silver , Gold
They Would Be Stackable and would be used with npcs like nurse and merchent.

* Controls*

Left And Right On Dpad Would Move You Left and Right

Up On Dpad Would Make you jump

Down On Dpad Would Make You Drop Item currently selected

left bumper and right bumper to scroll threw the nventory and hot deck

A = Use Item

B = Interact Key

X = Undeicided

Y = Undeicided

Select = Open Inventory

Start = Pause

badnat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol... good thing creative people like TC are around to think deep thoughts and provide direction for the bumbling doers in society.

Please go on to describe in detail the mechanics of other games that already exist TC. Zelda? Metroid? Warcraft? We need you to do so else all the programmers hanging about here will continue to putter about aimlessly, programming calculators or virtual magic 8 balls or who knows what.

Csteal1556

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I Didnt want credit i could care less i just wanted it built and offered some ideas thats all btw were dose it say iw anted credit? i just want to share my idea and possible get it made. i

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Your idea:

a) is incredibly hard to read
b) is never gonna get made
c) is very original, want a medal?
d) is too complex for the DS afaik

Also, no one is going to give you credit btw.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Assuming anyone would ever consider making said homebrew game for you, if Terraria is too much for the DS to handle, "Terraria like" is too.

Csteal1556

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well i can tell alot of you are just really really messed i never said i wanted TERRARIA for the ds i suggest a game LIKE TERRARIA
and i dont want CREDIT u idiots who think i do i just wanted to share a idea i had So STFU

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Csteal1556 said:
Well i can tell alot of you are just really really messed i never said i wanted TERRARIA for the ds i suggest a game LIKE TERRARIA
and i dont want CREDIT u idiots who think i do i just wanted to share a idea i had So STFU
Oh wow, all grown up are you?

Come back when you're weaned off breast milk.

And, to quote Ikki:

QUOTE(Ikki @ Jul 6 2011, 02:42 PM) if Terraria is too much for the DS to handle, "Terraria like" is too.

Learn to read before you start complaining.

Z

Zorua

OP, stop dreaming.
This is the real world, and not Little Big Planet.qaallaa

link491

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
think about it. if a game like super scribblenauts, that has pre-designed worlds and a LOT less features than terraria/minecraft and any other sandbox games in existence, is already 32mb. terraria and minecraft, have most things in scribblenauts except minus the writing in words and instead a crafting system, and it also has RANDOMLY generated worlds, wich would kill the ds! and dont even get me started on digging and monster programming!
think of how big the homebrew would be! it would be 108+ MB!

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
Csteal1556 said:
Minecraft* J/s this is almost an exact clone of minecraft. which would also kill ur ds. -.- dont think ur such a grown up guy. im betting ur 8 if u cant even learn to design. Im 11 and ik VB.net(Enough to write a webbrowser anyway lol) and im learning c++... And yet u cant even try to design or get up off ur arse and try learn programming. Sigh.
QUOTEThis is all Just a idea i am not a programer but i do have a flash cart so i can test it
stopped right there and laughed btw.

coolness

PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
nice bitching thread
smile.gif

but i like the idea, I sure would have made it if i could code DS homebrews

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
You
link491 said:
think about it. if a game like super scribblenauts, that has pre-designed worlds and a LOT .... it would be 108+ MB!
and you
QUOTE(Pong20302000 @ Jul 6 2011, 05:33 PM) Terraria for DS would be nice but too complex for homebrew i think....
...n and with minimal system requirements
don't know what you are talking about.

Wooooow random generated world. It's not like it has constantly be expanding the world. It only has to generate new landscape once you get near an unvisited area, just like Minecraft. Minecraft lags a bit while generating new parts, but guess what. You can't just compare Minecraft to a possible 2D port on a different system. Everybody knows Minecraft is a very CPU-demanding game, even dedicated servers requires quite a bit to run. Have you even remotely considered the possibility of very sloppy programming of Minecraft? Perhaps Java is not really a superb choice for games like that.

How did you even calculate the exact 108MB?

I'm not saying im capable of creating this, but even i have myself made a fking lame platform game in which you could place and destroy blocks. No problem, i even used the same engine to program one of these helicopter games with randomly generated tunnels to fly through (2D). Worst of all, i didn't even use the in-built sprite capabilities or in-built scrolling backgrounds, tilesets. I manually read the bitmaps containing graphics and pixelplotted them to a doublebuffered screen (I had not learned to use proper graphics modes at the time). All this combined with me being quite the noob, still, at programming stuff, it was probably programmed horribly inefficient. Still ran smooth at an unknown frames per second. No noticeable lag what so ever. So, if i, selftaught, could program something including all of your problems mentioned above using just awfully stupid and inefficient methods, then surely it can be done by pr0 people.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
link491 said:
think about it. if a game like super scribblenauts, that has pre-designed worlds and a LOT less features than terraria/minecraft and any other sandbox games in existence, is already 32mb. terraria and minecraft, have most things in scribblenauts except minus the writing in words and instead a crafting system, and it also has RANDOMLY generated worlds, wich would kill the ds! and dont even get me started on digging and monster programming!

uhhh... you do know that some ds games are up to 256MB right? And randomly generated maps are NOT hard for the DS. Ever played worms DS? Yep, it has random maps.

I personally would like to see it, but unfortunately can not imagine it ever happening.

Csteal1556

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Know heres the part were i say, I Know the worlds are too big to be as big as minecraft or terrira worlds unless we only allow them to generate Withen the ds's Capabilities and as for digging since i said 2D It would proably be a side scrollar so digging wouldent be a problem. Look Just A Idea For Anyone Whos Board needed a idea and can program no need to hate so chill

link491

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wizerzak said:
link491 said:

uhhh... you do know that some ds games are up to 256MB right? And randomly generated maps are NOT hard for the DS. Ever played worms DS? Yep, it has random maps.

I personally would like to see it, but unfortunately can not imagine it ever happening.
i know that ds games can be up to 256 mb but im pretty sure that homebrews cant

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I mean I can tell the difference even with a high bitrate MP3 but I guess "it sounds good enough"
    Plus studio quality MP3's do exist, they are just like 512Kbps and are huge ass files lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, Yea I when I can i notice mp3 sounds worse
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I say "when i can" because I have some hearing problems
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, MP3s were designed to be as small as possible, so that they can be shared on the internet. WAVE files were more bigger in size and would take hours to upload back in the day.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @realtimesave, you hi too
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ anything new in gaming?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @realtimesave, i think she said she isnt into gaming
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @SylverReZ, what kind of headphones you use, fam? You run a DAC or anything?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore is decent for cheap
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I used to have my entire music collection in FLAC, but there is so many songs and devices that I want to store them that lossless compression wasn't enough, not to mention compatibility
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    a few years ago I decided to convert everything to mp3 with a relatively high bitrate, I had a terrible feeling I would regret doing that but to honest, I couldn't tell the difference in the audio quality after I did that
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I got rid of my local music collection years ago when I subscribed to Google Play Music. Big regerts
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm planning to start building it back up though. Plus, Usenet automation around music downloading has gotten so much better since then
    I used to use high end headphones and speakers JBL back when they made good speakers lol X-Fi Fatality edition sound card on PCI with XP back when Windows had good sound....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, Using a Fiio DAC and Betron headphones.
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I use AKG K7XX headphones for daily use, but Meze 99 Classics when I want to *enjoy* the music
    +1
    I mean built in sound on mobo's has gotten way better but still XP handled sound better and X-Fi was still better than onboard audio even to this day
    Hell not sure what was going on but for like a few weeks MP3's sounded muffled, some driver or Windows update fixed it. Thank god lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Hell not sure what was going on but for like a few weeks MP3's sounded muffled, some driver or...