Homebrew DS Homebrew ideas

Neku_Sakuraba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
still kinda new to gbatemp so i kinda went of the deep end to.
wacko.gif

Posts merged

just it would make the process of map editing so easy! no longer having to switch cards! Making it possible to do it all on the ds would just make it easier maybe someone can make it.

Fatboy12345236

Trophies
XP
Country
playallday said:
The problem with this thread is that none of the people SUGGESTING projects have a single clue about how the Nintendo DS operates - obviously, because otherwise they'd be writing the projects themselves. (There are some exceptions clearly, don't get you're panties in a bunch)

Lemme throw out some problems, complexities and general information to help the community better understand what is and is not possible with the DS at the moment.

Rules Of The Game:
Nintendo DS Operating System.
Unlike the PSP, the DS does not have a resident operating system. Once an application is launched, the firmware is overwritten in memory with the running application. In addition, any automatic features (such as a child lock key combination) requires a modification to the device's firmware. A daunting task, and one not easily completed on newer DS models. (Simply loading the new firmware requires shorting several pins to bypass a safety)

Custom Firmwares.
Not impossible, but certainly quite difficult and rarely worth the trouble. And seeing as the hardware of the DS is still not FULLY understood, I'm not sure a custom firmware would be wise. It's rare you'd find a good reason to fully replace the default firmware. Besides, it's becoming increasingly more difficult with the newer model DS's on the market.

WIFI Limitations.
Many wifi-oriented applications are possible. The only thing to keep in mind is the very low bandwidth speed. Some genius decided to cap the maximum transfer speed of the Nintendo DS to a particuarly low amount. Without getting real technical, this can seriously limit it's capabilities. For instance, streaming radio at any bitrate over 48kbps or so CANNOT be streamed fast enough over the connection, so it spends lots and lots of time buffering. WIFI applications are great - just take into account transfer speed. You don't want to be copying ROM files back and forth. That also includes the bittorrent client. I'd love to see one, just remember it's going to be SLOW.

Multiple Applications.
It's been pointed out, but i'll reinstate it. The Nintendo DS can only run one application at a time. That means that once a program is launched, you can't launch another. That means no background music players, screen streamers or anything like that. I'd love to see it happen, but the DS just isn't designed that way.

EXCEPTION: There's one possible exception, but I see no sign that it's ever been attempted. Some of the cheat engines for the homebrew cards support 'real time cheats' and soft rebooting with a key combination. I suspect when enabled, these features tack on additional code to the ROM before launch - this explains why these features sometimes (but rarely) cause problems with the ROM themselves, causing weird glitches and freezes. They work for the most part. This leads me to believe that it's possible to write a program to 'wrap' a ROM before launching it, and run a little bit of your own code at the same time. I'd love to hear if anyone thinks this is

I dont know how true this is but I think DSLinux uses a slight modified version of DSWifi Library allowing the DS to break the 8kps speed limit I heared a guy got to 100kps when downloading a file.

jonnythefox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A piece of homebrew with the ability to turn your DS into a fully fledged custom MIDI controller. There are a few pieces out there, but are severely limited in regards to features. I'm talking like, Lemur style.

Desired feature list: (I guess?)
* Midi over WiFi using DSMI
* The ability to create knobs/sliders/switches/pads on the touchscreen and manipulate them using the stylus.
* The ability to have two active sets of controls and swap between them. One on the top screen and one on the bottom?
* The ability to assign CC (control change) or Midi notes to the touch screen controls and the physical buttons
* The ability to assign a CC to the DS microphone. values based on the incoming level?

I imagine there's a fair few people out there who'd want something like this. I know I'd definitely have a lot of uses for it.

Naruto14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok you see I have this game maker 8 game that I would like to be turned into a .nds file. Now I know you cant do that by a certain program but you can look at the game maker 8 game then manually change things in the ds game maker program. I was wondering if you would be able to do that for me. I'll send more information about it over my email account. Email me at [email protected]. I will send the game file and game maker 8 install to whoever sends me an email, then you can take it and open ds game maker and start changing the coding. It's not hard but my computer won't open ds game maker so I need someone else to do it.
yaynds.gif

please!
bow.gif

This isn't really a Idea but it is already half-way done and will be a good game! I promise!

PMCG99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Gameboy Advance Emulator That does not need a slot-2 flashcart would be nice, Because i have a DSi and got rid of my old DS Lite and i am sick of dragging my ancient GBA around...

Sausage Head

Lord Sausage LXIX
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i believe someone was making a gba emulator for the homebrew bounty, but it's very slow and has limited capabilities

it was optimized for dsi hardware so you'll have to use a iEvo or sudokuhax for optimal performance (which is not much, really)

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
huh. Didn't know this thread existed.

Okay, speaking of GBA, I had an idea recently. I'm no programmer, but this seems feasible to me.
I'm aware that normally, because of the way the system works, you cannot make a program that adds cheats to a GBA rom, due to slot-2's activation cutting off slot one. Normally if you want cheats added to your rom, you have to use a "trainer" on your PC that hardcodes the cheats onto the rom, then put that rom on your card.
My idea is simple: Why can't we have a trainer that sits on the slot-1 card, eliminating the need for the PC? As in, give the card the capability to modify the gba rom prior to activating the slot-2 device. That way you'd eliminate the need to bring your computer into the equation for using what is supposed to be a portable device...

Discover

Trophies
XP
Country
I think loads of ideas have been generally taken. If the game lacks a decent plot, then you can cover it up with nice graphics and great gameplay fun.

link491

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
what i would really like is a portable rpg maker of sorts (no not rpg tsukuru ds). i would want it to be able to run projects from each maker (2k,2k3,xp,vx) and edit and play them. it would use the ram expansion packs if there is extra ram needed. it would also be a different version for each program (a 2k version, a 2k3 version, a vx version and an xp version). you would also be able to inport resources from your sd card! this would make my life so much easier and would make rpg maker waayyy more fun too. i would love anyone who could make an app just like this, similar or even better!

DarkMelon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
link491 said:
what i would really like is a portable rpg maker of sorts (no not rpg tsukuru ds). i would want it to be able to run projects from each maker (2k,2k3,xp,vx) and edit and play them. it would use the ram expansion packs if there is extra ram needed. it would also be a different version for each program (a 2k version, a 2k3 version, a vx version and an xp version). you would also be able to inport resources from your sd card! this would make my life so much easier and would make rpg maker waayyy more fun too. i would love anyone who could make an app just like this, similar or even better!

Awww dude that would be so awesome. And my DS would be happy too.
nds.gif

link491

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DarkMelon said:
link491 said:

Awww dude that would be so awesome. And my DS would be happy too.
nds.gif
exactly!
smile.gif

Tobi239

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Maybe it's already done and i just missed it, but how about a simple book reader with all ebook formats support ?
That would be pretty cool. :yaynds:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro