DunkrWunkah

GBAtemp's Official Dunkr
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What would be really great is an app that has an information database, on games of multiple systems. It would include box art, cartridge art, release date, genre, etc.. There would be a simple scroll interface similar to the iPhone, and a menu with different systems that you could choose from. Anyone, please consider it.

-D
happy.gif

Pedobear

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dsradio would be nice, but wouldn't you need some hardware for radio scanning? I would rather use a music streaming site, like pandora.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I was curious as to whether anybody has looked at the possibility of porting OpenJazz to the DS. It's an engine recreation for Jazz Jackrabbit, an old (1994) platformer/shooter for DOS, modeled after games like Mega Man and Sonic. I had no idea it existed until a few minutes ago, and thought it might make a prime candidate for a port. Here's a video of the original game:

It had a couple of sequels, including two Christmas editions (which should also run under OpenJazz), a "proper" sequel and its holiday editions, a cancelled 3D platformer, and a much later, fairly crappy GBA sequel. The shareware versions of the game (and several others) are available here at the bottom of the page if anybody wants to give the game a shot (the shareware will files work fine with OpenJazz).

OneMichael

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
atomicat.com
XP
Country
Canada
smurfbear said:
dsradio would be nice, but wouldn't you need some hardware for radio scanning? I would rather use a music streaming site, like pandora.

You know, I wonder if it would be possible to build something like that. If you stuck a great big (unwieldy) antenna into the microphone slot, could you pick up usable data?
Heh, one more fun thing for bored people to try.

updowners

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ashxu said:
spleenandpie said:
a daily vid thing where some guy will convert all the featured vids on youtube to dpg everyday and you can view them over wifi

Bah, i can covert them my self. It's not that hard. Just upload the vid onto the converter, wait wait 2 min. Bam put on R4, and boot up Moonshell.

Btw, the name of the converter is called "SUPER" (w/o quotes)

is the website

www.erightsoft.net/SUPER.html
or
www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

they both look the same but i have a feeling there is a virus on of those sites. or maybe i'm just too paranoid

JerryX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe an installer for the DSi that installs the Homebrew Channel on your list of apps so that you can read NDS files from the SD Slot and/or the files from a flash cart. But that's HIGHLY impossible.

pixandbit

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, My first post!
smile.gif
yaynds.gif

I was thinking that maybe someone may be able to make an app that can play EXEs that are saved to a flashcart or an SD for when the DSi comes out. Not only would it be useful for playing youre fav programs, but it would be easier for homebrew developers. for example lots of people make games on yoyogames's game maker in which games are exported as EXEs.

Controls:
Stylus: mouse.
Stylus and R :right mouse.

Little icon in corner to put the app in the top scrren and make a qwerty keyboard on the bottom, and to change it back.

Id love to see this!!

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pixandbit said:
Hey, My first post!
smile.gif
yaynds.gif

I was thinking that maybe someone may be able to make an app that can play EXEs that are saved to a flashcart or an SD for when the DSi comes out. Not only would it be useful for playing youre fav programs, but it would be easier for homebrew developers. for example lots of people make games on yoyogames's game maker in which games are exported as EXEs.

Controls:
Stylus: mouse.
Stylus and R :right mouse.

Little icon in corner to put the app in the top scrren and make a qwerty keyboard on the bottom, and to change it back.

Id love to see this!!

I'm gonna put this bluntly: you have no idea what you're asking for. *.exe files are executable files that are meant to run on a specific hardware architecture (x86 for instance), on a specific operating system. The DS has a completely different hardware architecture, and doesn't even have an operating system, so there's no way to natively run those programs on the DS. So what you're asking for is an emulator that emulates the x86 architecture and the entire Windows operating system. Which is not gonna happen. Someone ported a program called Bochs to the PSP (which is several times more powerful than the DS), and it took over 10 minutes for Windows 95 to boot up, and of course no programs could run at a decent speed. Similarly, GPF ported DOSBox to the DS as a proof of concept, and it ran at less than 1 fps, an entirely unusable speed.

Not to mention that even if you could get Windows executables running on the DS, games made with Game Maker would be the last ones to run at full speed. Do a quick experiment for me: open up a Game Maker game, then open up Task Manager and go to the Processes tab. Tell me how much CPU power and RAM that game is using up. Now consider that the DS has a 66 MHz main processor and 4 MB of RAM and you'll see that there's no way anything made with Game Maker will ever run on the DS.

The closest thing to what you're asking is DSLinux, which is a version of Linux coded specifically to run on the DS. It can run command-line games and some very basic graphical apps if they use the right libraries. This is not possible with Windows since no source code is available, so emulation would be the only option.

Alternatively, you can use DS2Win to control your computer directly through your DS. Probably won't be fast enough for playing a game, but it's worth a shot.

Iceclaw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using something like GameFAQs Database

WIFI - FAQ/Walkthrough downloader/reformater for games on the flashcart for carts with RTG features like CyclodDS

Open homebrew>Select Rom->select which FAQ to download->download->automatically save as the rom name with the extension txt...possibly reformat it first
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?