The SuperCard DSTWO Beginner's Guide: How to Setup the DSTWO

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Terminator02, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Terminator02
    OP

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    The SuperCard DSTWO Beginner's Guide: How to Set Up the DSTWO and More
    Your source for all the answers on this revolutionary flashcart
    Latest Firmware:
    Latest EOS:
    Latest EOS Patch:
    If you are completely new to the DS hacking scene, please read the DS "hacking" FAQ by Rydian before continuing.​

Introduction

The SuperCard DSTWO is one of the best flashcarts available for the DS to date. It takes the great support of the SuperCard team and puts it in a 2nd generation flashcart (which means it has an imbedded CPU) that can do things no 1st generation flashcart can do. In short the DSTWO can do GBA emulation with only slot-1, video playback without conversion, better SNES emulation than other flashcarts, and whatever else the homebrew community makes for the DSTWO. The SuperCard DSTWO features a menu very similar to that of AKAIO, possessing the ability to do things like copy/cut/paste/delete. On top of all this it also has the handy real time menu. Real Time Saving and loading so you don't have to wait until you get to a checkpoint to save, Real Time Guides for those situations where you don't know what to do, Real Time Cheat to activate or deactivate cheats codes at any time while playing your game, Free Cheat to make cheat codes on the fly, Slow Motion to get past those high intensity situations with ease, and Soft Reset to go back to the DSTWO's menu without having to reset your DS.

How to manually set up your DSTWO

This only covers the installation of the standard DSTWO plugin menu, the two alternate plugin menus are set up differently, please refer to the appropriate guides for setting them up. (iMenu, BAGPlug)

Required items:
    • A SuperCard DSTWO (find different shops to buy from at ShopTemp)
    • A way to connect the microsd card to the computer, such as with a MicroSD to USB adapter (a cheap one is provided along with the DSTWO) or a MicroSD to SD adapter (many MicroSD cards come with these)
    • A MicroSD card (up to 32gb, I'd recommend shopping at Amazon, Newegg, or any other reputable dealer)
    • A DS (phat/lite/i/i xl) or a 3DS
    • An archive extractor (winrar, 7-zip, winzip, etc.). If you don't have one, download either 7-zip or winrar and install it with the default settings. (winrar will bug you to pay but won't force you)
    -----------

What you need to do will be in plain text, why you're doing it/what this step does will be in italics.

1. Connect your MicroSD card to your computer, set aside the DSTWO and your DS for a while.
    You will not be needing to mess with either the DSTWO or the DS in order to get the DSTWO set up

2. Format your MicroSD Card with the SD Formatter v4.0 (Mac version) by Panasonic. Go into the options and make sure format type is FULL (Erase) and size adjustment is ON. (the standard windows formatter will not work)
    Doing this will correct any potential errors on your MicroSD Card, the windows formatter will not do this because it only wipes the data off of your MicroSD Card, while the SD Formatter by Panasonic will redo the whole formatting of the SD Card to comply with SD standards

3. Download the latest EOS from the top of this page and extract the files in the archive to the root of your MicroSD Card. (see what is the root?)
    These files are the basic essentials, they are the files for the main OS that the DSTWO uses.

4. Download the latest patch from the top of this page if it was released after the latest EOS and extract this to the root of your MicroSD Card also.
    These patches are for when the SuperCard team puts out an update that isn't significant enough to warrant a completely new version of the EOS, these are usually game compatibility fixes. When Team Supercard releases a new EOS they roll in all of the previous patches into the newest release.

5. Download the plugins that you want from the following list and extract each of them to the root of your MicroSD Card. I strongly recommend getting Moonshell 2 if nothing else.
    These are just plugins that will show up at the plugin menu, plugins are basically just icons that launch homebrew. A .nds, .ini, and .bmp file of each plugin should be in /_dstwoplug/ after you extract them, and the other folders and files are just files required for the homebrew themselves to run.

6. Download any other homebrew you want from the DSTWO Plugin wiki, I'd recommend Lameboy, NesDS, Colors, Bloxavoid, and the Lone Wolf games.
    These are essentially the same as the plugins from step 5, except these are unofficial. Info and instructions can be found at the top of the wiki.

7. Either dump your games or download them and put them anywhere you want onto your MicroSD Card. (I'd recommend creating a Games folder and putting them all in there)
    You are putting the ROMs themselves from the official cartridges onto your microsd card, so you can have multiple games on your DSTWO at any time and launch any one that you want.

8. If you want your DSTWO's microsd card to show up as the card itself on your PC, just extract this to the root of your MicroSD card. (it will take affect the next time you plug in your microsd card)
    What it looks like
    This is just an icon for the DSTWO and an autorun file that makes the icon display instead of the usual 'removable disk' icon

9. If you want cheats, download the latest usrcheat.dat from the Codemasters Project Forum (requires signup) or download CMP usrcheat 2014-01-15 and extract the usrcheat.dat file into the _dstwo folder. All of the cheats will automagically appear for each supported game (if you ever want to update your cheats just click on that link again to check for a newer version and overwrite the old usrcheat.dat with the new one).
    Usrcheat.dat is a database, and based on which game you have selected, the DSTWO will look up cheats for that game in the database, this makes cheats require little to no effort to get on your part.

10. Right click on the drive and click eject, then unplug your MicroSD, and put it into your DSTWO. Then put your DSTWO into your DS (If you want to use it on a 3DS, read the "How to update your DSTWO to work on a 3DS" spoiler under the Tips & Tricks section).
    Pressing eject is just a safety precaution, as if you remove it while it is accessing the MicroSD Card, there is a chance of corruption, however in most cases windows should be able to fix any minor corruption of data (a pop up will ask to scan and fix the card when you plug it in if it is is corrupted)

You are now set up, but be sure to check out either iMenu (more stylish) or BAGPlug (more functional), as they are much nicer than the standard plugin menu.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the difference between the Kernel/OS (EOS) and the Firmware?
    A: There are two things you need to keep in mind here: Internal firmware and kernel/OS. The internal firmware is the internal software of your SuperCard itself, stored *only* in your SuperCard. Whereas EOS is the kernel/OS, the software that your SuperCard runs from the microSD.

Think of your microSD as the harddisk. You put Windows (the OS) on your harddisk on your computer, and when your computer turns on it runs Windows. And from Windows it runs the rest of your programs, like games. If the microSD is your harddisk, and the EOS is your Windows, then the Firmware is the stuff your computer runs before it loads Windows.

If you've never seen it before restart your computer right now, and look at what it does after it turns itself on again. It will always load something before Windows. And that "something" is in the internal 'memory' of your computer, just like your Firmware is in the internal memory of your SuperCard.

Q: OH NOES!! MY DSTWO DOESN'T WORK AFTER I UPDATED MY 3/DS/i/XL!! WHAT DO!?!?!?!?
    A: If you're using your DSTWO in a DSi or DSi XL, the fix is simple. Download the latest EOS (located at the top of this post) and extract all of the files from the newest EOS over your MicroSD card and let it overwrite everything (If you are using iMenu or BAGPlug you'll want to not overwrite /_dstwo/dstwo.nds). It should then work fine.

If you're using your DSTWO on a 3DS, you'll need to update the firmware. Check out the "How to update your DSTWO to work on a 3DS" spoiler under the Tips & Tricks section.

General Questions
    EOS Questions
    GBA/SNES Emulation Questions
    iPlayer Questions
    iReader Questions
    Real Time Menu Questions
    Misc. Questions

Tips & Tricks

How to improve the connection of the contacts
    *Important
    How to update your DSTwo's firmware to work on a 3DS (Updated for 3DS v9.4.0-21)
    How to update your nonworking DSTWO's firmware on a 3DS
    Returning to the plugin menu via DS_GAME
    How to get game guides/pictures for the real time menu
    Renaming DS_GAME
    Reordering Plugins in the standard plugin menu
    Hiding unnecessary folders

Videos

General Video Overview
    Free Cheat Demonstration
    Real Time Menu Walkthrough

Links

Credits

• Terminator02 - For updating the information, making the setup guide, blahblahblah, etc.
    • iPlayer FAQ - reference on supported formats
    • slayerdx - For his installation guide as a reference
    • DeltaBurnt - For the originial FAQ and the format
    • PharaohsVizier - Reference
    • Another World - CPU Info
    • nl255 - How to make multiple guides info
    • coattails - Originally discovering how to return to the plugin menu from DS_GAME
    • Windaga & Terminator02 - For the "Real Time Guide" guides.
    • CannonFoddr - For discovering how to reorder plugins in the standard plugin menu
    • Also thanks to all of those I've forgotten, that have supplied info for this thread
    That's it! If you have any more questions feel free to ask them in this thread.[/spoiler]

Last edited by Terminator02, Oct 10, 2015 - Reason: Formatting

2. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    If anyone can think of something I should add feel free to suggest something.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    This is awesome!

It's broken.

4. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Sounds great.

5. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    o wow, that weird glitch happened with the last link also when it merged (first time i tried to make a reply it merged), i'll fix that

fix'd, also added that bit about clockspeed in

6. Miss Panda

Member Miss Panda GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I am loving the updated guides today and this is perrrrrrrfect timing I ordered my DSTWO only yesterday.
    Really great guide.

Are you going to pop in a guide to the mythical DSTWO iReader, maybe? [​IMG]

Edited: to remove strange quote that appeared above my post.

7. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    oh wow, completely forgot about iReader, I never use it to be honest, if you just want a simple but elegant reader use IkuReader

Edit: working on a iReader section now, we'll see how it ends up

and it's done

added some more FAQs in the GBA/SNES emulator sections (why my saves aren't registering & how do i get back to the menu)

moved the cheats question to the firmware spoiler

added ebook conversions using calibre under iReader

8. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Nice guide - just to point out a couple of things.

'Renaming DS_GAME'
    Reordering Plugins in the standard plugin menu

9. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Oh god, please pin this. When I get my DSTWO in the mail, I was looking up stuff about it, and I was getting overwhelmed. This is going to help me out A LOT. Please please please pin this mods.

Amazing job, Terminator. You're definitely helping me out by typing this up.

Stephen l Brown likes this.
  10. Miss Panda

United Kingdom
    This ^^^^^^ Please make this a sticky someone. I haven't received my DSTWO yet so having this updated guide in advance is fab.

Stephen l Brown likes this.
  11. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    well Delta's FAQ already had it, and i guess he never credited you, i'll put it in

as for the DS_GAME thing, I added in the link as a template, which btw, i updated because you had some disgusting spelling ;p

and thanks to everyone else, I don't really know why this hasn't been stickied yet, I purposefully made it to replace the DSTwo FAQ since DeltaBurnt hasn't been on in a long time

12. R4Liam

Member R4Liam Artsy Dude

United Kingdom
    What is the best video format to use on iplayer?

13. OmegaVesko

Member OmegaVesko GBAtemp Regular

Yugoslavia
    I don't think that counts as a DSTwo question, sorry.

14. riverchen

Member riverchen GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You might want to add the battery tests if by Cannon if you haven't already. Also, link to popular apps for DS2, ad replacements menus if you don't have that already (catsfc, imenu, the other menu replacement i forget the name)

15. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    battery tests are in the last question in the Misc. questions section

plugin menu replacements are mentioned in the firmware section

catsfc is mentioned in the gba/snes emulation section

I didn't really link to specific, popular apps(homebrew) but I did link to the plugin wiki in the firmware questions

Edit: thinking about adding a "how to manually set up your dstwo" in the tips/tricks section, gonna be a looooong spoiler

16. Miss Panda

United Kingdom
    Are you going to add a section on setting the card up? The bit that says click here to set up your card from scratch takes you to an imenu tutorial. I'd really appreciate it. I just want to know where to put stuff. And if I have options on where to put stuff

I can get games going, sort of. But the menu is all messed up and no homebrew will work. And I have no idea how to do a soft reset like on the Edge. I'm ready to chuck it out of the window. For now it is going back in the box.

17. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

18. Miss Panda

United Kingdom
  19. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    I linked to that guide because "it will get you set up with all of the necessities and iMenu"

it's made for iMenu but it is perfect as a getting started guide

once i have time (probably next week) i'm going to add a how to get started section, will be more of a tutorial

and i should of reserved 3 or 4 spaces instead of 2

20. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    added Is the GBAtemp LE ds2 the same as the normal? under general questions (from here)

added If I use the DSTWO on a 3DS, does the 3DS register it as the DSTWO? Will this get me banned from online? to general questions (from here, used YayMii's answer)

added latest EOS patch update

added Official DSTWO Plugins link

added Can I use all of the standard DS features with this flashcart? under general questions

deleted some unnecessary question under general questions (about the price)

added more detailed statistics about the battery under Misc. questions

added a bit about the affect on battery on the difference between patch/clean mode under firmware questions