DSi and DSTwo problem

anotherthing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a DSTwo card. I've updated it to the latest firmware, 1.25_eng. I used the EOS from 2015(1.14) before updating. The card shows up and works fantastically on my DS Lite, which I used to update the firmware. However, I would like to use the card on my DSi which I recently installed CFW. The DSi has nds-bootstrap Release 1.3.2. Twilight Menu++ is v25.10.0.

The problem is that the DSTwo doesn't show up on the Twilight Menu++, nor will it boot in to the DSTwo if I hold down the B button when I'm starting up the DSi. In Unlaunch, the Slot-1 shows up as a series of squares as opposed to the actual name of the card. On the DS Lite, the DSTwo shows up in Slot-1 as "dstwo www.supercard.sc".

I'm not quite sure what's going wrong after digging through the forum here, looking through the Twilight Menu++ menu, or any settings on the DSTwo card itself.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I would try the paper trick, wedging a folded up piece of paper into the sticker-side of slot 1 while inserting the cart, to help ensure the pins make good contact. These flash carts typically use thinner PCBs than OEM ones to keep cost down, and as a result they often can't connect to the pins properly. This is also a good cheap and free method to rule things out.

@SylverReZ , you're up.

Reactions: SylverReZ

anotherthing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would try the paper trick, wedging a folded up piece of paper into the sticker-side of slot 1 while inserting the cart, to help ensure the pins make good contact.
Same result. Also, when I try to boot the cartridge by holding the B button when it starts, the blue light comes on, the WiFi light never lights up, and both screens remain black. Also, Unlaunch shows the following when you have Slot-1 selected with the name of the cartridge being the squares:

Pub Size: B3F58EFB
Pry Size: 7FFFEFFF
Cart:

And the cart field is blank.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a DSTwo card. I've updated it to the latest firmware, 1.25_eng. I used the EOS from 2015(1.14) before updating. The card shows up and works fantastically on my DS Lite, which I used to update the firmware. However, I would like to use the card on my DSi which I recently installed CFW. The DSi has nds-bootstrap Release 1.3.2. Twilight Menu++ is v25.10.0.

The problem is that the DSTwo doesn't show up on the Twilight Menu++, nor will it boot in to the DSTwo if I hold down the B button when I'm starting up the DSi. In Unlaunch, the Slot-1 shows up as a series of squares as opposed to the actual name of the card. On the DS Lite, the DSTwo shows up in Slot-1 as "dstwo www.supercard.sc".

I'm not quite sure what's going wrong after digging through the forum here, looking through the Twilight Menu++ menu, or any settings on the DSTwo card itself.
Clean the cartridge contacts with isopropyl alcohol and q-tips, or place a thin piece of cardboard behind it.

If that doesn't work, then the card slot in your DS needs cleaning.

anotherthing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clean the cartridge contacts with isopropyl alcohol and q-tips, or place a thin piece of cardboard behind it.

If that doesn't work, then the card slot in your DS needs cleaning.
Okay, so I cleaned the cartridge. It still doesn't work in the DSi. I tested the DSTwo in a 3DS XL and a New 2DS XL, and it worked in both of those. It still works in the DS Lite. So, I decided to clean the DSi's cartridge slot. I went ahead and cleaned the 3DS XL and New 2DS XL while I was at it, but that has nothing to do with this. So, after everything was cleaned, I tried the DSTwo again. Still doesn't work. I tried the paper thing again, and it still doesn't work.

Oh, I cleaned the cartridge slot on the DSi by taking an R4 card, smothering the pins in isopropyl alcohol, and repeatedly inserting and ejecting the cartridge several times. Then repeating that process two more times.

The DSTwo is the only cartridge I've tossed in the DSi that it fails to read. It does just fine with Mario Kart DS, Bomberman, an Ace3DS+ clone, an R4 Card, and so on.
Post automatically merged:

Okay, so using a pair of nylon tweezers and a flash light, I took a peak at the pins on the cartridge slot in the DSi. I don't see any problem with them at all. They're all gold and shiny. None of them are crooked. I picked up three DS cartridges today as well, all of them work in the DSi - LEGO Battles, Spectrodes, and Elite Beat Agents.

I decided maybe it was an older version of Twilight Menu++, so I updated it to 26.7.0. I also checked to see if it was the system version on the DSi, since I don't remember updating it. However, it is the most up to date version at 1.4.5.

So, I have a DSTwo that's up to date in terms of software that works in a DS Lite, a 3DS XL, and a New 2DS XL, but not the DSi. I have a DSi which reads every single cartridge I have, and even bought three more to test it, with the exception of the DSTwo. I kind of regret not testing the DSTwo on the DSi before I put Twilight Menu++ on it so I could rule out Twlight Menu causing the problem.

I'm really curious what the Pub Size and Pry Size are, since other cartridges don't seem to have those numbers. They're always 00000000 in both fields except for the DSTwo cartridge.

Last edited by anotherthing,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto