DS/GBA games on the N3DSXL?

RoaringMdog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, its been a couple of years since i used my N3DSXL but i've been wanting to play some older titles lately and was wondering what the optimal way is to play DS games on there. Is there a hack available, or is this only possible with a flashcard of some sort. And is there a way to play both gba games and ds games on there, or would it be one or the other depending on the method? Thanks for help!

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the optimal way is to play DS games on there.
Buy the carts and use them in the slot. :P

For GBA games, you will either want to use virtual console injections made with New Super Ultimate Injector, or open_agb_firm. They both fundamentally work the same, but have different interfaces.

TWiLightMenu provides access to GbaRunner2, but it is not as good as either VC injections or open_agb_firm. mGBA is another alternative, but its performance is very poor (especially on "old" 3DS units) and it is only of interest because it offers emulation features like fast-forward and savestates.

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
For playing DS games you have three options:

1. Use original cartridges
2. Use TWiLightMenu++
3. Use a flashcard

A good flashcard might give you more compatibility in some games, but TWLM++ is free.

Besides all that, you need to use TWPatch for searching the way you find best to scale DS games to the 3DS screen - even not scaling it by default, or using other interesting features.

For GBA, the best is OPEN_AGB_FIRM. Second place comes GBA Virtual Console injections, in case you want to open those games from main menu. And mGBA comes at the third place (only recommended for New 2|3DS models), for playing rom hacks that don't work on original hardware.

Lv44ES_Burner

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone else has said the things I concur with. But hell, I'll chime in anyway.

The definitive way to play DS games on the N2DSXL and N3DSXL is to use TwilightMenu++ to load the games. As for GBA games, the best way is to run them with Open_AGB_Firm and install a launcher for it to boot into OAF from the Home Menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu