DS #3233: Minna de Jibun no Setsumeisho B gata, A gata, AB gata, O gat

PineappleH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure, but judging from the box art, B, A, AB, and O are all blood types. Should have something to do with that. Blood type determines personality and it's pretty popular in Japan. Wouldn't be surprise if this is some sort of analytic program for personality based on blood types.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the hell is with this title? It's worse than Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode 1, or Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People Episode 2: Strong Badia the Free, or whatever else you can think of with a long name.

It's the list that does it. There's a reason that it isn't called Mario, Peach, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Bowser, Wario, Dry Bones, and Toad Kart.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Just checked out the official website, and it seems to be a simulation game like The Sims, except that it uses characters based on you and your friends' personalities. You answer a relatively long survey about yourself (65+ questions from what I could see). The game builds some sort of psychological profile based on your blood type and how you answered the questions, and applies it to an avatar that's supposed to represent you. Then your friends do the same thing and build their own avatars. Through download play, you can collect and trade avatars of all your friends, place the avatars into one of several available situations (work, school, leisure, bar), and watch them interact. You can intervene with their interactions and make them do certain things, then watch how the avatars would react to each other.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Haha, on first glance at the boxart I thought it was a mathematical game and the A B AB had to do with the binomial theorem (a²+2ab+b²=(a+b)²). Took a few seconds to figure out these were blood groups.
smile.gif

Seicomart

Trophies
XP
Country
Blood type determining personality was a claim thrown out long ago, for some reason this myth still pervades in the more air headed in Japan and I believe South Korea.

Might want to read a more current medical textbook...

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Densetsu3000 said:
Just checked out the official website, and it seems to be a simulation game like The Sims, except that it uses characters based on you and your friends' personalities. You answer a relatively long survey about yourself (65+ questions from what I could see). The game builds some sort of psychological profile based on your blood type and how you answered the questions, and applies it to an avatar that's supposed to represent you. Then your friends do the same thing and build their own avatars. Through download play, you can collect and trade avatars of all your friends, place the avatars into one of several available situations (work, school, leisure, bar), and watch them interact. You can intervene with their interactions and make them do certain things, then watch how the avatars would react to each other.
I probably won't get around to checking it out, but it seems like an interesting concept. Should be interesting to see how it does in Japan.

Thanks for the very informative recap Densetsu.
grog.gif

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wow, only in japan...

and what is it with long titled Japanese games recently?

Seicomart said:
Blood type determining personality was a claim thrown out long ago, for some reason this myth still pervades in the more air headed in Japan and I believe South Korea.

Might want to read a more current medical textbook...

it is, indeed, baloney. I have no idea why the idea seems so pervasive in japan

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
In Korea there's quite a few people that believe that blood groups do point to a certain personality. In Japan people talk about it but don't tend to believe it as much. You may think it's silly but we're still reading horoscopes aren't we? Just as silly if you ask me.

What I find remarkable is that they decided to go with the order B, A, AB, O instead of A, B, AB, O which would make more sense. B, A, AB, O spells out the Korean word for idiot..haha. I find it hard to believe this wasn't intentional. Maybe it's the same guys that made the sUpeR MaRio GalAxY box-art.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Biengo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Glacius0 said:
In Japan people talk about it but don't tend to believe it as much.
I don't know what makes you say that, but almost all the Japanese people I know strongly believe in blood types determining personality.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gbaelink said:
What is this game? Blood test?
blink.gif
Yup. Just put a few drops of your blood on the touch screen, and it will tell you all about your personality.

You can also put a hair sample in Slot-2 and learn about your future.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if it has glucoboy support:
http://www.glucoboy.com/?page=about

Apologies people, that was bad even by my standards.

On the other hand it appears as though there should be a new internet rule along the lines of Japanese dating games will always get more odd as time goes on.

@Seicomart we still have people believing in Phrenology around here: http://www.phrenology.org/intro20.html

Seicomart

Trophies
XP
Country
Good point, Fast.

I remember when we were cleaning up the family home in the far north of Hokkaido, there was a magazine with an advert for a range of soft drinks aimed at different blood types.

The whole blood thing stinks of the many right wing ideals that still pervade modern day Japan. I recall going for a medical check up and my doctor asking me "have you slept with any foreigners recently, there has been an increase in AIDs recently, if you play around, better stick to Japanese women" this, right in front of the wife (!).

Even blood going back many generations is considered tainted by many, a friend who is burakamin had his mortgage application refused, for example.

Ignorance abounds in society these days, even more so on-line and amongst youth. Just look at the use of the swastika, nazi imagery, Stalin posters etc.

Rant over, off to do something more constructive, the end of year tidy up!

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
UltraMagnus said:
it is, indeed, baloney. I have no idea why the idea seems so pervasive in japan
It's not much different from the Western idea of the Zodiac and horoscopes. Although, it seems that there are more Japanese who buy into the blood type thing than there are Americans who fall for horoscopes. Why anyone believes any of it (blood type and horoscopes) is beyond me.

*EDIT*
I posted this right before reading Glacius0's post about horoscopes
tongue.gif

xanth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually did find out my blood type before I went to Japan just for curiosity's sake (since a bunch of Japanese kids in the states had asked me in the past). A+, so I guess I would be sitting quietly in a corner with my DS, watching my avatar sit quietly in a corner with his DS, if blood type personalities are supposed to be believed.

Brings a new meaning to meta-gaming if it's accurate.
biggrin.gif

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Biengo said:
Glacius0 said:
In Japan people talk about it but don't tend to believe it as much.
I don't know what makes you say that, but almost all the Japanese people I know strongly believe in blood types determining personality.
Well we discussed it recently in Korean class. There's around 7 Japanese people and one Korean teacher. All the Japanese people agreed that it wasn't to be taken too seriously... but I guess it depends on age group.. and people that go abroad are also often a little more open-minded.

3n3a4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
Szyslak said:
Yup. Just put a few drops of your blood on the touch screen, and it will tell you all about your personality.

You can also put a hair sample in Slot-2 and learn about your future.

you can also take spem instead of blood on the touch screen. Than wait a week and you have a DSi
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night