Kurayami no Hate de Kimi wo Matsu [OPEN TRANSLATION][!?]

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Alpharage, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Alpharage
    OP

Alpharage Member

Newcomer
    Mar 31, 2015
    Germany
    Kurayami no Hate de Kimi wo Matsu
    [​IMG]

[ TRANSLATION / HELP REQUEST ]
    [ JAP → ENG ]

• LOOKING FOR TRANSLATORS / HACKERS willing to assemble a team to work on this project

GAME INFO

...So, I'm not sure how this will work out, but anyways, I'd love to give it a try.
    The point of this topic is to try to assemble a team who would like to work on translating this game (I saw some videos and reaserched around, and it looks like similar to 999, so I think a lot of people would enjoy this).

Anyways, as I started just recently to look in romhacking and I know nothing about japanese, I'm pretty much useless. But wait...! Before you ask me why I made this topic being this useless and all, let me finish.
    There's really little info (as far I saw) about this game, but I reserched and researched, and I found a partially translated script that we could use! The script isn't in english -it's in my language- but I was starting to translate it into english. My english isn't the best, but it's understandable (I think), and with a revision or two should be improved.
    The translation is plain old text, but as far I saw it's quite accurate, and covers the prologue, the intro, and a good part of the story (untill the main character has to pick a partner to work with fto escape from the building).
    Also, I've found the translation of menus, characters info and settings as well, so all that remains to translate from japanese are the individual routes (depending on what partner you choose) and some other minor things.

[ IMPORTANT: Credits for the translated script go to the user Seles Wilder ]

Of course, it still wouldn't be easy... someone who knows japanese would be required to translate what remained, and hackers for inserting the texts & editing the graphics as well. Compared to this, my contribution is quite scarce, I know, but I still want to give it a try anyways, because this looks like an amazing game (I'll order it even If I'll probably make a mess, eheh). x3

At the moment, I've translated the prologue & part of the intro from the ita script into english. Even If this thread won't have any success, I'll still try to finish translating into english to share here in case anyone wants to know what's going on in the game.
    Uhm, then... let me know If you're interested, and If I can do something. I don't know romhacking, but I'm trying to learn, and I can still be useful reseraching around. At the bottom of this topic, I'll put the translated info (I'm still working on it, but it should be ready soon).

GUIDE

ABOUT CONTROLS

PROLOGUE

INTRO

Last edited by Alpharage, Mar 4, 2016
    RikuKH likes this.
  2. Zander1995

Zander1995 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2015
    United States
    Looks interesting, although I think [Open Translation] is a bit misleading because open translation gives the impression that anyone can just translate stuff for the game, but it looks more like you're looking for a translator rather than opening translation up to the public.

Also I'd recommend that if you do get a translator, they at least go over the original Japanese for the parts that are already translated into Italian to make sure there's nothing lost in the JP > ITA > ENG translation. Although completely retranslating those sections would probably be best to make sure nothing gets lost in translation, which is far too common when translating between multiple languages.

Alpharage and Orphen07 like this.
  3. Alpharage
    OP

Alpharage Member

Newcomer
    Mar 31, 2015
    Germany

Yeah, I thought so as well... but I didn't know how else I should write it.
    I'll edit my post specifying that I'm looking for hackers and a translator, thank you very much for the tip. =)

I was also thinking about that, as the script I've found seems very accurate but wasn't beta-tested at all. The point is... I don't really know anyone, so I'm not really sure how to find someone who'd be interested in be a traslator for this project (thus the decision to open this thread in hope someone would propose themsemves).

4. rastsan

rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard,

May 28, 2008
    Canada
    toronto
    well you are gonna need some help with the .mods movie files which means an asm hack. Very easy to unpack .dat files (at least so far).
    I just started to look at this and am not going to look too deep. I used tinke and crystaltile2. It looks like you have space to spare for pointer redirection if the empty space in the voice.vce file can be used. if I am right it has 10737 files. Which yes I just dumped. easy to edit adx and ahx cri files. The large number of files in the voice.vce file has me wondering if you will be doing voice over or an asm hack to subtitle the audio. If you want just open the rom in tinke then open the file as a pack file and type 10737 in the number of files pane and 0 for offset for pointers start. I can upload these later if you need them. I wouldn't take that much voice work on... just wow. Personal opinion - That is some cheesy music.
    yeah so pretty much pack files with no in file number of file listed. or pointers for groups of files followed by those files then followed by more pointers for files and so on. not quite the same for the text. event.dat is your bulk text file... I haven't even checked the arm9.bin yet... seems pretty straight forward to me.

looks like whoever is doing the graphics may have to go through the files manually.
    to note one so far:
    in bg.dat which has text in the image
    9Dae0 pallete gba8bpp
    9DCD8 256 by 198

also lots of images to edit in the obj.dat file

I was only looking out of curiosity.
    the event.dat file definitely has text and pointers to that text. I have no actual interest in translating this game but this is actually very doable. Its just the mods movie files that I foresee some trouble with as there is no current converter for this type of movie file. You might get a hacker to help or you could do it yourself with just a little research (the hacking).

Good luck.
    You can do a menu translation without that much trouble.

Alpharage likes this.
  5. Alpharage
    OP

Alpharage Member

Newcomer
    Mar 31, 2015
    Germany
    Whoa, thank you very much for sharing these info! <3
    I'm still new in romhacking (I'm trying to learn something about it my free time, but I'm having an hard time alredy) so I really hope I can find someone interested in this project who could help me and who could find those info more useful.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how .dat file works and, basically, how to open them so I could see their contents. Since I can't translate japanese, I was thinking about learning how to modify graphics since I've got the translation of the in-game menus and such (I need to figure out the .dat extension works before ever trying it, though). =)

Anyway, on another note...
    I edited the 1st post adding the Intro translated script. I'm near finishing translating in english the part of story I found. I also posted Controls / Menus Infos as well (with images, too), so for now I hope those help out to figure out how to play, and what's happening.

6. rastsan

May 28, 2008
    Canada
    toronto
    get yourself tinke and or crystaltile2. I would go with ct2 first just so you can look through it in tile view mode (gba4bp or gba8bpp). you are going to have to play with the offsets a bit but when you do get them note them in a spreadsheet to use when you rebuild or need to put the edit back in. So obj.dat at x offset with gba8bpp but 256 width by 198 height instead of 8 by 8 or whatever I don't want to confuse you. you will generally find the pallete (which has the colors the image is using) file before the image file and possibly a map file. I wasn't looking too hard. as you are a beginner I am tempted to dump the images for you.
    If you are going to list the script please include the japanese counter part for the hackers to search for when they get to dumping the text. I have a table file for you if you need it but you should be okay with just sjis encoding. it is just finding and dumping all those text pointers.

You really should take a look at all 10000+ voice files. just that alone is going to be a crap load of work. I have a couple other projects that need voice overs to finish them off... it gets time consuming especially when the speaker is garbling their words or a hyperfast kid voice. Going through and changing any timing in game to match the new longer english voice over.... blah.... By timing I mean the programmers included how long that specific sound file was in the game and it waits x time before it moves on you have to find that in whatever way they encoded it and hope it will take the longer time frame. yes this includes editing other background music to be longer to match the now longer voice file or changing its timing as well to match - which can sometimes lead to replay choppiness. sound complicated? its not its mind numbingly boring and very very time consuming - especially if you don't have any accompanying text to help you figure out what they are saying in that sound file.

dang almost didn't write what I came back to say the menu graphics are in the obj.dat file. just open the obj.dat in ct2 view it in tile mode and turn it to gba8bpp then slowly go though it noting offsets of where certain graphics start. When and if you get more experience you will understand when I say the pallette files are there you just don't know what they look like right now. SO I gotta give you a warning about editing an image without its proper pallette file - they put it there for a reason editing it in black and white then putting it back in will not help you.
    as I say this I am trying not to talk myself into further helping you with this. take a look though Fast6191's guide at the top of this forum and don't be afraid to ask questions here.

Alpharage likes this.
  7. Alpharage
    OP

Alpharage Member

Newcomer
    Mar 31, 2015
    Germany
    I heard a lot of good things about CT2 so I got it some time ago. I still need to learn how to use it properly though, most of the time I feel like I'm reading an alien language, or something like that. It'll take time. :) By the way, the only graphic formats I knew were the ones mentioned in this thread, so it might take a while for me to figure out how to work that obj.dat thing. I downloaded FAST's rom hacking PDF guide, and man, it's huge, so I think I'll try to give it a good reading after I finish translating the Kurayami's guide in english.

I was thinking about adding the japanese text as well, by the way... the problem is, I tried to open the event.dat with CT2 with Shift-Jis encoding, but that didn't work. All I get are messy characters (again, I need to study about that part of romhacking first, so it's not surprising I can't get much done yet). I know how to make a table manually from a .txt but... there are too many characters, so I think it would be a bit impossible.

As for those voice files... I think you mean they should be modified so that they won't be out of sync during the game? Unluckly, I do not have enough knowledge about romhacking to try to do anything with that... I mean, I can still try and learn, but it'll take a while, and I wouldn't probably be able to do it alone, so I suppose for now I'll finish with the translation and see If I can find more experienced hackers to assist me with the project (hopefully until them I'll learn to do something as well).

By the way, thank you very much for all those info, you're really nice. c:
    I'm sorry I'm such a bother, but hopefully when I'll learn more I'll be able to be more useful and less bothersome. xD

8. rastsan

May 28, 2008
    Canada
    toronto
    get the table from the nftr and use that.

9. FoxInFlame

FoxInFlame Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I speak Japanese fluently, and in fact, I am Japanese.
    I can totally help with this translation thing, yet there's this important thing.

I am new to this.

So I don't know how to translate, I don't know where to translate, I don't even know if I'm supposed to install programs or not!

But one thing is certain. I can speak Japanese, and English. Fluently.

- Fox

10. Alpharage
    OP

Alpharage Member

Newcomer
    Mar 31, 2015
    Germany
    Sorry about the late reply. I am currently dealing with some stuff in real life. >.<
    I'm still translating the script though. I'm almost finished.

Anyways, that was te difficult part. I don't know how to do it.
    I've tried doing it with NFTR Editor, but the "custom.tbl" I get is always blank. I suppose it would be possible to make one with CrystalTile, but since I'm new and I'm finding hard figuring out all the program's features, I've just been fiddling with it a bit, trying to do it, but I'm having an hard time doing so.
    I somewhat got a .tbl file (fiddling with CrystalTile2), but when I load it... well, I see some japanese characters, but english letters as well (it's not very understandable). I attached the .tbl file I got, just in case. I looked at in with notepad+, confronting it with the character map in the NFTR Editor, and so far all the characters seems to have the same values... but it doesn't work anyways. I did something wrong? owo

Whoa, I'm very pleased to see someone who's interested in translating this game! =)
    (Also, lucky you. I wish I was able to understand Japanese as well! It's such a beautiful language... it sounds so good, too. <3)

Anyway, yes, that's the difficult part. As I'm trying -in the few free moments of my time I have- to learn something about romhacking, I'm still far away from being actually useful. I was hoping to find someone who would be interested in do the hacking part. It would be easy If we had a program to handle the scripts & translate directly them, but as far I know writing those kinds of programs is really difficult.

I suppose we can only wait and hope to find someone interested in helping out with that part... D:

Attached Files:

• tbl.rar
      File size:
      10.6 KB
      Views:
  11. rastsan

May 28, 2008
    Canada
    toronto
    with the release of the mods video player you should be able to convert out then back in to bink or something else it can use. with just a little tinkering with the arm9.

you don't need to anything with chr file but it works this way pointer to pallete data, pointer to graphic data, then pointer to next graphic section or EOS, pointer to next graphic section or end of section. relative to section start. so section starts at c210 the pointer at c218 says 7c30 add them together and that is where the next graphic section of the same format is. pointer to pallete pointer to graphic eos eos. there may be more parts in some of the dat files.

event.dat has section pointers then those sections have pointers. I would use tinke or filecutter and manually break those sections to smaller files then possibly do it again for those files (that were sections). 24 sections for event.dat. I tried to use the table file on it but no real help. Probably will have better luck with ct2 and viewing those sections in hex (or with the table file). to het the table file use ct2 nftr viewer and dump it from there. the one tinke dumps will only be helpful if you reformat it. maybe more later...