Gaming Dragon Quest IX New Trailer

kennypu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if someone posted, but I doubt it. Anyways theres a new trailer for DQIX, for all of you DQ fans(including myself). It was shown at the Tokyo Game Show, and the video was uploaded for people who didn't get to go. You can view it here: http://www.dqix.jp/ click on the white box. Btw, if you guys can't tell, it will be coming out anytime in 2009, March. enjoy, and discuss maybe? I can't wait for the new multiplayer party system, The character customization, and ofcourse the new story line :]
Ken

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
I saw this earlier today on Kotaku.

I wish there was some way to describe to you all how my heart jumps when I hear the Dragon Quest opening theme. How I breathe a sigh of relief when I hear the "healing," sound effect. I am more excited about DQ9 than I have been for a long time about a game.

People say DQ is an institution here, and most western gamers just know that as a collection of words. But it is; it's probably the only game you could just randomly ask about it (or even it's abbreviated title, Dorakue) and you'd have a better than 75% shot that the person knew what you were talking about and also had played the last one.

Toriyama's art style seems to have matured even further, if the cinema scenes are any indication. The game seems to also pull heavily from the innovations (few that they were) that were introduced in DQ8. But it looks like you'll also have your entire party represented on the field at once.

Like Tactics Advance 2, this is probably one I will not wait for an English version for.

TheSpade

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So, do we have the plan set up to kidnap the family members of Square-Enix employees to ensure a North American and European (and yes, you too, Australians) release? By the way, YouTube'd!

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
It may come out late, but it's virtually guaranteed its coming out in the U.S., and probably Europe (especially if the same British company does the localization).

tangyi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
So the Japanese version will be released in March,2009?
How about U.S or Europe ones?

Frankly speaking, I prefer the interface which all items and characters images are displayed in U.S version of DQ 8, anyway the classical window is simple and easy to read. I wish both of the 2 styles can be chosen freely in DQ 9.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
tangyi said:
Frankly speaking, I prefer the interface which all items and characters images are displayed in U.S version of DQ 8, anyway the classical window is simple and easy to read. I wish both of the 2 styles can be chosen freely in DQ 9.

Are they displayed differently in the US/European version? From your post I assume the western versions have a decent menu with icons, graphics, and/or character images. The Japanese version is completely text based.

The all text Japanese version menus are a major PITA. Unless you just got something it's a chore to dig through the party's bag to find an item.

From the trailer though (and I am keeping my fingers crossed) 9 seems to be using a touch based graphical system for equipping clothes and weapons. Hopefully this will apply to items as well (it damn well better, it's the frickin' DS). Even the Japanese version of FFTA-2 at least used icons for all the items and weapons.

imz

GBAtemp's vigilante
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nice trailer but I would have liked to see more gameplay than cutscenes, at the end of the day we don't know how many of those awesome cinematics will actually make it into the game!

kennypu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just seeing the cinematics though, as Kikuchiyo said, Toriyama really stepped it up further. The lighting through out the city, how he portrays the characters, especially the beginning fighting the dragon was very nicely done(compared to DBZ,etc, the animation is much higher level).I'm quite sure that the game won't be disappointing. And Really the GUI for the US/EU version of DQVIII is different from the JPN one? I have the JPN one, and I'd rather prefer text only anyways since all of them were like that. This is a game that I would most diffinatly buy. I hope they release a pre-order sound track special, I'm sure to get it :]. I've waited for this release for a long time since it was rumors 2 years ago, but I still can't wait xD

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They really seem to be sparing no expense. It looked cool as heck when the first screenshot or two surfaced way back, but it's looking amazing now. So glad they opted to keep it turn-based, and the overworld just looks awesome. This has been one of two DS games I've looking forward to for oh-so long (Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword, which of course, was already released), and I can't wait to have it. It will be really hard not cheating and peeking at the Japanese version when it comes out.
shy.gif

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Oh.. my.. goodness...
This game looks AWESOME!!
Honestly, this looks like Dragon Quest VIII ported to the DS! It looks wicked!!
This is my most anticipated game ever for the DS, more then Pokemon Platinum, Final Fantasy IV, Tales of Hearts...
Amazing, absolutely amazing.

I'm almost sure that this game will come to the EU and US. If not, I'm also almost sure that there will be a translation team or two willing to fully translate this.
My favorite parts about the game so far are the fact that during battles, it actually shows your guys attacking (Like DQVIII), and the customization looks awesome!!

Can't wait!
yaynds.gif

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Has anything about camera or camera control been announced yet?

I hope that in both towns AND world map, you can use L and R or something to move the camera. ^^

kennypu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cupajoe38 said:
WileCoyote said:
Is this the one with or without the ability to have monsters in your party?
Without. with the exception of letting a monster in your party if it's related to the story.
Sorry to be mean, but you can't say they won't be able to have monsters, as we don't know yet. DQV had a system where you can party monsters, and have human players at the same time. I would say most likely not because of the multiplayer elements, but if they make it like monsters in party is ok in 1 player only, then it might be possible. Or another possible thing is if they revive something like the fairies/demons from DQVII, where you summon them in the battle :]. But yes, I am very glad they decided to keep the classic turn-based style, instead of going new school and making it into an action rpg. Seeing that the DQ series has more strategy elements than FF, IMO(through the attack x2 spell, attacks that defy defence, etc(sorry idk the english names)), multiplayering will be very intersting.

tangyi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
kikuchiyo said:
tangyi said:

Are they displayed differently in the US/European version? From your post I assume the western versions have a decent menu with icons, graphics, and/or character images. The Japanese version is completely text based.

The all text Japanese version menus are a major PITA. Unless you just got something it's a chore to dig through the party's bag to find an item.

From the trailer though (and I am keeping my fingers crossed) 9 seems to be using a touch based graphical system for equipping clothes and weapons. Hopefully this will apply to items as well (it damn well better, it's the frickin' DS). Even the Japanese version of FFTA-2 at least used icons for all the items and weapons.

yep, I only played U.S and Japanese version of DQ8. So if stylus based system is available in DQ 9 it will be pretty good.
Is there any news about the link-play for DQ 9? It will make the classical RPG series more interesting and interactive (we need monster in party to challenge arena).
btw, I wish there would not any kind of new function related with webcam in DQ 9, otherwise I have to update my DSL to DSi, sigh.

navilink

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
it's soo cool to hear the magic sound effect when the hero rushing towards the dragon...its sooo...should i put it...game-ish!!

is the battle still first-person view or can be viewed in third-person like Sonic Chronicles?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yes but Nintendo can sue Nintendo and I'll still win