Downloading and booting free DsiWare games from SD Card.

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Roguezz, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roguezz
    OP

Member Roguezz Siren

Canada
    Alright, so, let's just get straight to the point here. If any of you reading this have bought ANY DsiWare whatsoever-other than the 2 Brain Age games that come with XL, please go to you settings menu, data management and copy all of your DsiWare games into your SD card. Then insert the SD Card into your computer and do the following; My Computer>Right-Click the SD Card>Click Properties>Tools>Back-up Now. Then back-up your entire SD card and save it to your desktop.

Make sure to copy all data onto your computer and formatting your card to make sure nothing personal-like pictures gets on. Then compress the back-up and upload it onto media fire and either comment the link below or mail it to me at 323811695zz@gmail.com. I am doing this so that I can figure out a way to play DsiWare other people bought on different Dsi's. Make sure you use the back-up system and not just copy the 'private' folder and mail it.

I believe the DSI also flashes the content to make sure it is genuine once you try to restore it. I believe that using the back-up system may also capture the flashed content. Imagine, if we could just share each others games-we would no longer have to pay so much to do this. If you have any questions, feel free to mail me. [​IMG]

2. Son of Science

Member Son of Science GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    erm.. or buy a flash card.

3. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Flashcarts don't work with DSiware.

4. Roguezz
    OP

Member Roguezz Siren

Canada
    THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS IS TO NOT BUY A FLASHCARD! :/ Also, DsiWare are too cool for flahcards. I also wanna hack the OS and creat a Cydia like program-but Idk how to do anything like that. It'd be cool if you could use the SD card to boost RAM.

Posts merged

THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS IS TO NOT
    BUY A FLASHCARD! :/ Also, DsiWare are too cool for flahcards. I also wanna hack the OS and creat a Cydia like program-but Idk how to do anything like that. It'd be cool if you could use the SD card to boost RAM.

5. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    LOL, This isn't going to work. Everytime you download DSiware, it compiles itself when you download it with a key specific to each DSi. When you run a DSiWare file compiled in another DSi, the key is different and it will not be read. The only way to play it is to find the common key used by Nintendo to test systems and compile them using that. By compiling, I mean packing into the DSiWare container format.
    A different way to explain that is that every time you download DSiWare, your DSi Encrypts it with a key specific to it's system. When run on another DSi, it cannon't decrypt it. As for builing a cydia like program, no one knows how to run, let alone code custom DSi Channels

6. Zaertix

Member Zaertix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yeah I almost bought Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 the other day to dump it for the scene, but then I decided against it thinking someone would get to it today or yesterday. Seems I was wrong

WHOA how did this get here?!...

-Z

7. JinTrigger

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    I don't think this would work or I think someone would have tried already

8. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    wouldn't that mean then that the decryption algorythm is buried in the dsi firmware itself?
    I wonder if updates to the firmware then change said key or if it hardcoded...say like the dsi's ip address.
    May need to see If I can find a dumped firmware. It is just an os after all...

9. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    I bet he can fiddle around to decrypt it.
    I BELIEVE IN YOU!
    anyway this would be good, so we could do this on the 3DS.

10. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    MAC address.

11. Roguezz
    OP

Member Roguezz Siren

Canada
    Did you really think I didn't know that? What I'm trying to is make the Dsi think it's either Brain Age or the Opera Browser. Now why don't ya all stop arguing with me and acctually contribute something? :/ (Sorry if I was rude)

12. stylow

Member stylow GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    nobody is working on this and WTF is happened with team twiizers .
    they showed us a video of a hacked game and then we never heard anything from them.

13. Monty Kensicle

Member Monty Kensicle Yay!

United States
    It largely has to do with your post count, many people subconsciously or not think that a person knows nothing about a certain subject if their post count is low (i.e. noob).

I've posted about several subjects on forums where my opinion wasn't even acknowledged, but when someone with a higher post count said the exact same thing, everyone completely agreed with him.

So don't worry about it too much, expect an e-mail from me with my DSi-Ware soon.

~Monty

14. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    More to do with the noob question that was asked, has been answered many times and is relatively easily searchable.

15. Roguezz
    OP

Member Roguezz Siren

Canada
    Thanks man! [​IMG] I guess I'll have to post more then, eh? And the dude above me-whatever. Gravity was discovered by an apple crashing on a dude's head, so who says a hack can't be discovered by a system crash?

16. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Of course hacks can be discovered from system crashes, that's actually one main path.

However getting DSiWare to function on another DSi is sort of pointless, as you'd need both a way to decrypt the contents, and a modified firmware for the other DSi to run unsigned shit.

17. Knyaz Vladimir

Member Knyaz Vladimir 3DS Hacker

Canada
    Or you can wait a few months for the 3DS and get on THAT bandwagon, it's only 5 months.

18. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
  19. Roguezz
    OP

Member Roguezz Siren

Canada
    Well, I still wanna do it anyways. It'd be cool to get free DsiWare. I bought a DSI XL this September.
    I doubt I could get a 3DS that soon. And the dude above me-lol. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.