somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
I don't care for Global User Directory, but Dolphin 4 is much improved from 3.5, it runs so much better, and autosyncing Wiimotes is great. But I usually use the dev builds anyways, so yeah.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does this affect the dual-layer GameCube games? Or is it just me that is having trouble running these? And what about the banners for the Wii games? Wii Music and Ben 10 have shown theirs, but all the other really popular games don't have banners. (Okami, Muramasa: The Demon Blade (can you tell what kind of games I like to play?), etc.)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does this affect the dual-layer GameCube games? Or is it just me that is having trouble running these? And what about the banners for the Wii games? Wii Music and Ben 10 have shown theirs, but all the other really popular games don't have banners. (Okami, Muramasa: The Demon Blade (can you tell what kind of games I like to play?), etc.)

Wii games were dual layers, Gamecube games only had 1.35 GB of space tops :P Mario Kart and Brawl were dual layered, AFAIK that shouldn't affect performance. The Last Story is also dual-layer, but it is the most CPU-intensive game for Dolphin :P

Reactions: calmwaters

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii games were dual layers, Gamecube games only had 1.35 GB of space tops :P Mario Kart and Brawl were dual layered, AFAIK that shouldn't affect performance. The Last Story is also dual-layer, but it is the most CPU-intensive game for Dolphin :P

Oh yeah; I tried to play those games and they would just NOT run. Ugh, it was so annoying. And I really wanted to play them too... :( Guess I'll have to wait until they perfect this issue. :P

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah; I tried to play those games and they would just NOT run. Ugh, it was so annoying. And I really wanted to play them too... :( Guess I'll have to wait until they perfect this issue. :P

What are your specs? Are you sure they're clean rips? Mine run just fine. Do you have a Core i3, i5 or i7? They're compatible with those games, but The Last Story will not run on most machines since it's a CPU killer. What CPU you have is more vital than what GPU you have. No reason the games can't run unless your specs don't meet Dolphin's needs ;)

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-dolphin-cpu-hierarchy

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I just downloaded the necessary files and set it all up to work with my 360 controller. 30 minutes work really, and it worked like a charm. My 360 controller works perfectly, Mario Kart Wii looks stunning (though the audio is kinda messed up and it doesn't really reach 60 FPS, still need to find the perfect settings) and online WORKS.
I just played a few matches, online WORKS, can't believe it.... Wii games on my PC, and this combined with the breath taking mods I've seen right here on the 'temp for a few years already (those Mario Kart map packs, I would have killed for those when I had my Wii), just equals a very fun time ahead. PC MASTERRACE!

Reactions: chyyran

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country

I disgress.
The maps Xenoblade loads are huge, and as such your average i5 CPU barely has the wanted performance.
Pandora Tower also has those big statues too, the framerate is severely affected with those. But Last Story? It's the least one affected by slowdown out of these three.

I hope this means audio in Super Mario Galaxy 2 loops correctly now? And Tales of Symphonia (first one, of course) audio playing correctly at all?
Noticed the issues within Tales of Graces Wii audio had to do with game not running at full speed, so this might be an improvement. Might be the time to try and put the files from my PS3 disk in the Wii ToG1.1 iso and see how well it fares.

Banners should appear after rebooting Dolphin. Dual-layer isos are working perfectly fine.

Now all is left is wishing for the code from the outdated unofficial build for Wiimotion Plus controls mapped to keyboard ... is incorporated in the official builds.
My nunchuck failed me, so I'm stuck at the sixth dungeon mid-boss (and the unofficial build actually crashes in all areas with heat effects) until I either buy a new nunchuck or see this feature added.

What about free DLC for Graces? Is it downloadable?

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are your specs? Are you sure they're clean rips? Mine run just fine. Do you have a Core i3, i5 or i7? They're compatible with those games, but The Last Story will not run on most machines since it's a CPU killer. What CPU you have is more vital than what GPU you have. No reason the games can't run unless your specs don't meet Dolphin's needs ;)

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-dolphin-cpu-hierarchy

It's an i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30 GHz and I got them from *a ROM site which shall remain unnamed if that's what you mean. (Waaa, I can't believe I just said that :( )

I disgress.

Banners should appear after rebooting Dolphin. Dual-layer isos are working perfectly fine.

Now all is left is wishing for the code from the outdated unofficial build for Wiimotion Plus controls mapped to keyboard ... is incorporated in the official builds.
My nunchuck failed me, so I'm stuck at the sixth dungeon mid-boss (and the unofficial build actually crashes in all areas with heat effects) until I either buy a new nunchuck or see this feature added.

Well mine don't. And yes, dual-layer isos work great.

And I'm sorry about your nunchuk. I remember mapping Wii controls to the keyboard; it was cool.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I'm waiting on now is the AVX optimized build and I'm ready to go...

Is it possible to do that oneself? I see a huge performance boost on my rig from using the executable that supports the new opcodes.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disgress.
The maps Xenoblade loads are huge, and as such your average i5 CPU barely has the wanted performance.
Pandora Tower also has those big statues too, the framerate is severely affected with those. But Last Story? It's the least one affected by slowdown out of these three.

I hope this means audio in Super Mario Galaxy 2 loops correctly now? And Tales of Symphonia (first one, of course) audio playing correctly at all?
Noticed the issues within Tales of Graces Wii audio had to do with game not running at full speed, so this might be an improvement. Might be the time to try and put the files from my PS3 disk in the Wii ToG1.1 iso and see how well it fares.

Tales of Symphonia has perfect audio with HLE yes. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 should have perfect audio as well, LLE is no longer needed in most Wii and Gamecube games (again, only a select few need them).

*quote removed

Let's continue this via PM shall we?

Reactions: calmwaters

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Tales of Symphonia has perfect audio with HLE yes. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 should have perfect audio as well, LLE is no longer needed in most Wii and Gamecube games (again, only a select few need them).

Using HLE with Super Mario Galaxy 1 / 2 causes the music to cut off after a while, that is the moment it loops again.
Side effects include crashes when collecting each Grand Star, and the credits not starting off, rendering a 100% run for these particular two games impossible without LLE (extremely slow) and/or importing a save from your real hardware Wii.
This particular bug still isn't fixed in this version, I tried it now.

The reason they didn't fix it before was because the HLE coding was an abominable mess from the 7th circle of hell and they said they simply couldn't do it.
Now that they rewrote the thing completely to a more sensible state, I hope they'll get around this issue...

And hopefully fixing too the GBA-link issue, which IS related to the DSP hardware used for sound rendering (as for now it requires using LLE, it supports a handful of games -Wind Waker not being among them, thus hindering the TAS efforts to use the Tingle Tuner-)

Also something unrelated, I hope something is done on the DS/Wii Wi-fi transfer after their success with the Wii CFW (and the partial DS CFW support on the DeSmume, which still lacks DS/DS Wifi support)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using HLE with Super Mario Galaxy 1 / 2 causes the music to cut off after a while, that is the moment it loops again.
Side effects include crashes when collecting each Grand Star, and the credits not starting off, rendering a 100% run for these particular two games impossible without LLE (extremely slow) and/or importing a save from your real hardware Wii.
This particular bug still isn't fixed in this version, I tried it now.
The reason they didn't fix it was because the HLE coding was an abominable mess from the 7th circle of hell and they said they simply couldn't do it.
Now that they rewrote the thing completely to a more sensible state, I hope they'll get around this issue...

And hopefully fixing too the GBA-link issue, which IS related to the DSP hardware used for sound rendering (as for now it requires using LLE, it supports a handful of games -Wind Waker not being among them, thus hindering the TAS efforts to use the Tingle Tuner-)

Also something unrelated, I hope something is done on the DS/Wii Wi-fi transfer after their success with the Wii CFW (and the partial DS CFW support on the DeSmume, which still lacks DS/DS Wifi support)

Yeah, the HLE code was one helluva mess from what I heard, then Delroth decided to do the impossible and rewrite as much as he can and I believe there is still headroom, but most Gamecube games should sound nearly-perfect. I believe it might be the a audio codec used by that and a few other games that is tricky to get right. You can thank Nintendo for having poor documentation for the DSP. Games like TOS and Star Fox Adventure sound amazing!

On the topic of speed, the next thing the team is going to focus on is the improving the JIT (just in time) recompiler to help give speed boosts. That is gonna be awesome!

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
using the user's documents folder (opposed to running standalone from whatever folder the user dumps it in and reading config files relatively)

ugh, I hate when programs do that. You should run from where I want you to run, not from some MS dictated place I never want to use...

lufere7

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Quick question about dolphin, how would melee run on an a8 4500m? I'm probably getting a laptop with that CPU, I know it sucks for dolphin but I don't plan to use it too much, I'm getting it for the decent iGPU but it would be nice to play some 2 player melee at college. I'm willing to play on low lag stages, no sound, etc. Also is brawl out of the question?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Quick question about dolphin, how would melee run on an a8 4500m? I'm probably getting a laptop with that CPU, I know it sucks for dolphin but I don't plan to use it too much, I'm getting it for the decent iGPU but it would be nice to play some 2 player melee at college. I'm willing to play on low lag stages, no sound, etc. Also is brawl out of the question?
You might be able to do Battlefield and other easy stages on Dual Core. Sound doesn't really affect speed, and Melee works perfectly with HLE.

Other people have reported that Brawl is less taxing on their computer than Melee is, but that hasn't been the case for me.
I suspect they had NVidia GPUs, where I have AMD, and you will too.

Reactions: lufere7

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's a pity games can no longer run slowly and still have full speed audio as that is one thing that made slowdowns not matter all that much. Now you pretty much need to have a PC capable of running it fullspeed to enjoy it fully.
My laptop is capable of that, so it's not a big deal, but there are occasional slowdowns that will be jarring when the audio slows down along with them.

But it's a good thing they fixed a lot of audio issues, as there were still issues in certain games with the background music simply disappearing randomly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/hyundai-pauses-x-ads-nazi-content-platform-rcna148414