Dolphin 4.0 Released

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The rewritten DSP HLE core alone is a wonderful thing, but I think 4.0 may possibly also be performing better whilst also sporting better compatibility with certain titles.
I can't wait to give this thing a proper try out, I've followed the work of Dolphin-emu for years now and big releases always excite me.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The rewritten DSP HLE core alone is a wonderful thing, but I think 4.0 may possibly also be performing better whilst also sporting better compatibility with certain titles.
I can't wait to give this thing a proper try out, I've followed the work of Dolphin-emu for years now and big releases always excite me.

Oh 4.0 is good and the audio is fantastic with the default HLE plugin. Gamecube games have never cut out on me. B-)

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
From the offical Dolphin site:

Update: a few hours after release, a bug causing crashes with Windows x64 and Single Core mode was found by testers. Single Core mode is not used for regular gameplay but is usually required for TAS and NetPlay. While it only affects a few specific use cases of the emulator, we still consider this a critical issue and we will release a Dolphin 4.0.1 version fixing this bug. Sorry for the inconvenience.
On behalf of the Dolphin Emulator development team, I am pleased to announce the release of Dolphin 4.0, the newest major release of the most compatible and most performant GameCube and Wii emulator for PC. Dolphin 4.0 is a special release for all of us, since it also marks the 10 years anniversary of the project, first unveiled by Henryk Rydgård (ector) in September 2003.
Dolphin 4.0 can be downloaded for Windows (x86 or x64), Mac OS X (>= 10.7) or Ubuntu 13.04 from our official website: dolphin-emu.org.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: a few hours after release, a bug causing crashes with Windows x64 and Single Core mode was found by testers. Single Core mode is not used for regular gameplay but is usually required for TAS and NetPlay. While it only affects a few specific use cases of the emulator, we still consider this a critical issue and we will release a Dolphin 4.0.1 version fixing this bug. Sorry for the inconvenience.
On behalf of the Dolphin Emulator development team, I am pleased to announce the release of Dolphin 4.0, the newest major release of the most compatible and most performant GameCube and Wii emulator for PC. Dolphin 4.0 is a special release for all of us, since it also marks the 10 years anniversary of the project, first unveiled by Henryk Rydgård (ector) in September 2003.
Dolphin 4.0 can be downloaded for Windows (x86 or x64), Mac OS X (>= 10.7) or Ubuntu 13.04 from our official website: dolphin-emu.org.

Do you work on the Dolphin team by chance? The wording seemed kinda weird lol. Ten years huh? Impressive :D

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone was hitting the semicolon key instead of the quotation mark... :unsure: (I'm sorry; I'm going horribly off topic here :( )
Only the title here says 4.0 because "4.0.1 released!" makes it sound like the big news is the minor bugfix. 4.0.1 is what's mentioned in the article, and the download links lead to it.

The tittle? I need rest; I'm having a hard time reading.

Reactions: Hielkenator

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone was hitting the semicolon key instead of the quotation mark... :unsure: (I'm sorry; I'm going horribly off topic here :( )

The tittle? I need rest; I'm having a hard time reading.

4.0.1 is a minor bug fix, guess those who like making speed runs had issues with the emulator and crashed some games.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's their fault. If you want to do a speed run, then put the game in yourself. Dolphin is not for those things.

The other issue was some games need to have dual core disabled and when they ran those games, it crashed, so it's two-fold, those who want to play those games couldn't and those who wanted to TAS couldn't, but it should be out soon. I think F Zero GX is one game that requires single core to be run.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got done updating and trying it out. I'm glad that WiFi capabilities are now in the official release, and it runs very well all things considered. I did experience quite a bit of lag in Brawl, but it's to be expected.
Glad to see this emulator get some serious updates.

Reactions: the_randomizer

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[using user directories instead of program directory]ugh, I hate when programs do that. You should run from where I want you to run, not from some MS dictated place I never want to use...

Ask them for a portable mode/option, if one does not already exist, then. https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/controlling-global-user-directory/

Though it might be a tiny case of a few small steps long after they were warranted any steps towards MS making their OS a full on multi user and somewhat more secure system are to be welcomed.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The other issue was some games need to have dual core disabled and when they ran those games, it crashed, so it's two-fold, those who want to play those games couldn't and those who wanted to TAS couldn't, but it should be out soon.
Here's an interesting thing:
You can TAS just fine on 4.0, but you need to run Single Core.
Comex is working on a branch called "dc-netplay", and it makes Dual Core sync just as well as Single Core.
I can play offline or online, record the game to a DTM, and play it back just fine, all on any core setting, never desyncing once. It's amazing.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's an interesting thing:
You can TAS just fine on 4.0, but you need to run Single Core.
Comex is working on a branch called "dc-netplay", and it makes Dual Core sync just as well as Single Core.
I can play offline or online, record the game to a DTM, and play it back just fine, all on any core setting, never desyncing once. It's amazing.

Interesting, never thought they could make a branch that allows TASing and using dual core at the same time, but I never TAS with Dolphin (I doubt my computer can handle frame-by-frame re-recording with or without dual core enabled to be honest. You don't....have to have a link this build, do you? :creep: Is there a topic on the Dolphin Forums? The team should just merge this build into the main branch. I would love to try this build out ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up