Hacking Homebrew Homebrew game Project Undertale 3DS (W.I.P)

CooingMaxito

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Undertale for 3DS!

Hello GBATemp! So, this is a project that I've been recently working on and I am really excited to share this with you all!

undrt3DS1.jpg

Thing is, I've seen a few people trying to port Undertale to the 3DS, but to no avail... All those projects eventually got abandoned and with seemingly no explanation, at least from what I can gather haha. That inspired me to do it myself! :D

Please keep in mind this is in it's very early stages!! And it's also being made from scratch in the Unity engine (since game maker is not compatible with the 3ds)

I've started working on this around early September-ish and hopefully I can actually finish this in a reasonable amount of time haha
I want to be as transparent as possible while making this, so everyone knows what's going on and not leave you all hanging saying "... So what happened to it?"
With that out of the way

What's been added

• Intro cutscene (100% Done)
  • Name Select (No animations or transitions yet)
  • Sound test (Really small)
  • Player animations and movement (Still needs polishing, also need to add Circlepad functionality
As you can see, there's not that much stuff already done, but hey, it's progress!

Current Priorities

• Add battles and random encounters
  • Make a leveling system
  • Add healing items and gear (E.g. Toy Knife, Boxing Gloves, Bandage, etc.)
  • Make stats and name properly show on the bottom screen / Make it interactable with touch
  • Dialogue System (MUST!!!)

I am open to any feedback, suggestions and ideas! If you have anything in mind please let me know!

And last but not least..

Preview

If you want to see more stuff, and more tests from this join my discord!
https://discord.com/invite/KURTswPngP

Get your hands on an early, but working build here:
https://github.com/CooingMaxito/Undertale-3DS

Unreleased screenshots and images
Testing battles, only FIGHT works (still need to add enemy health and damage, lots to do lol), ACT, ITEM and MERCY still need functionality
1712854291411.png

Closing the game on command
1712928187116.png

Testing more rooms from the game and added GUI on lower screen (placeholder), will probably add touch
1712854531694.png

Last edited by CooingMaxito,

CooingMaxito

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
looks sick, when do you think a build of it will be avaliable?
Thanks! Just updated the post with a link to my discord server, there we have a public test build that you can try out! It's pretty small though
Post automatically merged:

It works with both Old and New models by the way! :grog:

Reactions: SteadyEvening

CooingMaxito

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
oh man this is so cool! and updates to this since then?
Unfortunately not :sad:
My computer went kaput and the files got corrupted around late November (a few weeks after I posted this, and no I had no backups, rookie mistake)
After that I started to re-do it haha... I'm around the same point as the build I had, with some quality of life changes! Currently working on the dialogue system, I am dreading Flowey

Surprised it's not open source. I'd love to contribute.
I didn't think about that lmao
Though it would be embarrassing to see all my trash spaghetti code
I should probably also mention that this is being made in Unity, I will edit the post

Reactions: aquatubachris

CooingMaxito

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just curious, but do you have an idea as to how many stages of Undertale you'd include in this project?
Hopefully the full game, the first step is finishing the Ruins but my current priority is making the gameplay look and feel just right

Edit: I'm on a little break at the moment, I'll get back to working on it soon. Last thing I did was some optimization, from my testing it runs at full speed on both new and old models

TheMasuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully the full game, the first step is finishing the Ruins but my current priority is making the gameplay look and feel just right

Edit: I'm on a little break at the moment, I'll get back to working on it soon. Last thing I did was some optimization, from my testing it runs at full speed on both new and old models
Just saying this now, but you're actually goated if you manage to do the full game lmao. Keep it up man fr 👏

Reactions: CooingMaxito

supershadow64ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'd reccomend setting up the engine to just be as versatile as you like it-- Make it modular so you can add text/events/music as you please, especially when considering possible DMCA takedowns

Reactions: CooingMaxito

RyousukeTakeokaRY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since 2017 i've been interested in an undertale port for 3ds, since all the projects got cancelled a while ago, i thought this idea was done for, and that nobody else would bother trying, im really glad that this project has not been left by the community, and you have my thanks for that, good luck

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto