Does Mario 64 being decompiled mean a 3DS port is possible?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by GreenAndACat, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Tac 21

Tac 21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2008
    Canada
    would love to see a Star Road on modern systems.

speaking of... where is Star Road for the DS?

2. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2015
    United States
    Carmichael, California
    Yeah, played SM64 DS after so many Years.........rather have the N64 SM64. The DS version is not that good having to use Yoshi.

3. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Fan

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    You need Yoshi for a practically insignificant fraction of the game and then you can forget he exists. For that matter Luigi's Superspin is totally game-breaking, but you can mostly forget he exists as well.

Until now I thought the biggest problem some people had with the DS version was that it didn't go far enough with its changes. But I can see the appeal of being able to play all the various mods for the N64 version on the 3DS.

Last edited by Kwyjor, Jul 16, 2019
  4. CrashOveride

CrashOveride Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2017
    United States
    Instead of insulting the devs because they're "too slow" then why not join them and make the process faster?

nullpointer128 and RedL like this.
  5. mountainflaw

mountainflaw Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2018
    Australia
    Theoretically yes, if you remove all of the N64-isms from the game, and fix things like endianness, etc.

CrashOveride likes this.
  6. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    to those saying SM64DS or emulation, do either of them run in 3d? :^) i'm sure sm643D is possible

CrashOveride likes this.
  7. Feffe

Feffe GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2008
    Italy
    N64 didn't have an ARMS architecture. It was MIPS-based.

Last edited by Feffe, Jul 16, 2019
    Ryccardo and lauty29 like this.
  8. Ecchi95

Ecchi95 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 7, 2019
    United States
    Because I set my own release schedule. I decide when what I do is ready for people.

And? I was talking about the 3DS and Switch. You missed the context of my post.

Last edited by Ecchi95, Jul 17, 2019
  9. Nemisbeast

Nemisbeast Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2018
    United States
    Guys, don't feed the troll.

10. MarcusCarter
    This message by MarcusCarter has been removed from public view by WeedZ, Jul 17, 2019, Reason: Not an image board.
    Jul 17, 2019
  11. Ecchi95

Ecchi95 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 7, 2019
    United States
    >If you're an independent thinker, you're a troll.

I'm doing my own things with the decomp. We'll see who's a troll when I provide them faster than the team.

12. CrashOveride

CrashOveride Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2017
    United States
    This attitude makes you sound like you were banned from the team and you're trying to get revenge or some shit

13. Ecchi95

Ecchi95 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 7, 2019
    United States
    If I was on the team, this would have been leaked in 2018.

14. CrashOveride

CrashOveride Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2017
    United States
    so you're either saying that you'd leak it even EARLIER than it was finished, or that you have the self-proclaimed coding ability to decomp a game in less than a year?

15. Ecchi95

Ecchi95 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 7, 2019
    United States
    I'd leak it as soon as it compiled an identical ROM. At that point it was done and anything else is supplementary and up to the people using it.

16. CrashOveride

CrashOveride Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2017
    United States
    So if the decomp can be barely edited you'd still leak it even though it could be made better?

17. Ecchi95

Ecchi95 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 7, 2019
    United States
    Yes, that's up to the individual needs of the people using it to further customize it.

18. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    You need to relax about this whole thing. What's your hurry? It's 23 years since Super Mario 64 was first released. What difference would it make if this project was released a year earlier or later? "The official team is too slow!" We all survived 23 years without a Super Mario 64 disassembly.

nullpointer128 and Sono like this.
  19. nullpointer128

nullpointer128 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2019
    United States
    You should start with writing an OpenGL backend for the gSP API, gDP API, and the gu API. You would also have to write your own implementation of the os API and make a wrapper to SDL or SDL-equivalent for cross-platform audio and input. This is just for getting a "vanilla" SM64 experience (e.g. no modified graphics).

If you'd want to overhaul the graphics, you would not write an implementation of the APIs, but you would have to completely rework the rendering logic for SM64, because it currently relies heavily on rendering n64 display lists and SPTasks. And there are 451 gSP calls in the code, and over 936 references to display lists.

This doesn't even include porting all the code so it conforms to modern C compiler requirements. I don't think you understand the amount of work required for this.